Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 02:33 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times

Advertisements

I don't watch this show every week, but the Hanukkah celebration in the commercial for it looked funny so I tuned in. The episode is called "A Christmas Story" The Goldbergs Episode Guide | Season 3 Full Episode List

For those who don't know about the show, it's about a kid named Adam Goldberg who's now an adult and he's telling stories about his wacky family from the 80's. Some shows are funny, some aren't.

The mother on the show is by far the most outrageous - stereotypical overbearing Jewish Mom, to a ridiculous extent, which is what makes some of it funny. She is always fussing over the kids and being inappropriate often times as she goes way overboard in trying to please her 3 children.

Anyway, last night's show was about celebrating Hanukkah and as usual (to this family), no one was excited or happy about the traditional (yucky) foods she made or pretty bad gifts that they all received - you get the picture. Then the parents were invited to their friends' house for Christmas Eve and were shocked how happy their kids were and how excited everyone was to take part in all the Christmas traditions.

Well this gave the mother an idea to mimics Christmas, but make it all Jewish themed. So the whole house got decorated in blue in white, they got a "Hanukkah bush", lit up the house with blue and white lights, there was a host of new foods being introduced, and everyone was happy, until her Father stepped in to stop it - reminding her and the kids about their ancestors and the struggles they went through to preserve their culture. (You can watch the episode in the above link)

This struck a chord for me. As a child, I remember throwing a tantrum when my Dad wouldn't let me have a "Hanukkah bush" or decorate anything with blue and silver garland. I just wanted to be like my friends. But now that I am an adult, I have a much better understanding of how important it is to pass on traditions from one generation to another. Even if that means you feel excluded from Christmas. Even when that means you have to drive around to 4 different stores to find Hanukkah candles.

Just wanted to share
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 03:05 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Thanks. I found that an interesting read.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:40 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
In my experience, if you provide enough Jewish in Judaism the kids don't even know they're missing anything in Chrstmas.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:55 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
We watched. We don't normally watch this show. We had a good laugh on the 5th night.
I know many mothers like her!!!
Humor it's one of our finer attributes

Old 12-11-2015, 01:02 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I don't watch this show every week, but the Hanukkah celebration in the commercial for it looked funny so I tuned in. The episode is called "A Christmas Story" The Goldbergs Episode Guide | Season 3 Full Episode List

For those who don't know about the show, it's about a kid named Adam Goldberg who's now an adult and he's telling stories about his wacky family from the 80's. Some shows are funny, some aren't.

The mother on the show is by far the most outrageous - stereotypical overbearing Jewish Mom, to a ridiculous extent, which is what makes some of it funny. She is always fussing over the kids and being inappropriate often times as she goes way overboard in trying to please her 3 children.

Anyway, last night's show was about celebrating Hanukkah and as usual (to this family), no one was excited or happy about the traditional (yucky) foods she made or pretty bad gifts that they all received - you get the picture. Then the parents were invited to their friends' house for Christmas Eve and were shocked how happy their kids were and how excited everyone was to take part in all the Christmas traditions.

Well this gave the mother an idea to mimics Christmas, but make it all Jewish themed. So the whole house got decorated in blue in white, they got a "Hanukkah bush", lit up the house with blue and white lights, there was a host of new foods being introduced, and everyone was happy, until her Father stepped in to stop it - reminding her and the kids about their ancestors and the struggles they went through to preserve their culture. (You can watch the episode in the above link)

This struck a chord for me. As a child, I remember throwing a tantrum when my Dad wouldn't let me have a "Hanukkah bush" or decorate anything with blue and silver garland. I just wanted to be like my friends. But now that I am an adult, I have a much better understanding of how important it is to pass on traditions from one generation to another. Even if that means you feel excluded from Christmas. Even when that means you have to drive around to 4 different stores to find Hanukkah candles.

Just wanted to share
I watched it. I like the Goldberg's because it is actually conceived and written by Adam Goldberg, so even if the characters appear to be stereotypes, they are his interpretation of his actual family. I always love the real family movie footage at the end of most of the shows.

Back to this particular episode. I was also with the dad. I grew up celebrating Christmas, so when I converted, people were shocked at how easily I transitioned away from "celebrating Christmas." I don't miss it at all and I enjoy the traditions celebrated during the Festival of Lights. I think the funniest thing my daughter ever said was when she was about 9 years old. She said that when she grew up she was going to marry a Christian so she could celebrate Christmas. I told her that when you are an adult, you have to do all the work associated with Christmas and that Christmas is just one day, but we get to celebrate 8 cahraaazeeey nights.

I think that cured her of her Christmas fantasy.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:10 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
I frequently watch the Goldbergs. That sounds like an interesting episode.

Back in the 80s, there was a national media push to emphasize Hanukkah as much as Christmas as a late-December holiday...Gentile guilt, maybe. But it was making Hanukkah the biggest deal of the Jewish calendar.

But then a feisty rabbi chaplain I frequently spoke to expressed his great annoyance: "We don't need Christians telling us which of our holy days is most important. We'll decide which of our holy days is most important. Christians can butt out."

Old 12-11-2015, 02:06 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
LOL, a Hanukah bush.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:08 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post

Just wanted to share

It should mean something cause Christmas and Easter have been used as a Vehicle to persecute Jews for a long time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism