Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 02:19 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times

Advertisements

The festival of Shavuot begins at sundown on Saturday June 11th and ends Monday evening June 13th.

The festival of Shavuot (or Shavuos, in Ashkenazi usage; Shabhuʿoth in Classical and Mizrahi Hebrew Hebrew: שבועות, lit. "Weeks") is a Jewish holiday that occurs on the sixth day of the Hebrew month of Sivan. Shavuot commemorates the anniversary of the day God gave the Torah to the entire Israelite nation assembled at Mount Sinai. The holiday is one of the Shalosh Regalim, the three Biblical pilgrimage festivals. It marks the conclusion of the Counting of the Omer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shavuot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 12:44 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
english translation also please
thank you
What's this?...

Old 06-06-2016, 10:35 AM

23,175 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The festival of Shavuot begins at sundown on Saturday June 11th and ends Monday evening June 13th.

The festival of Shavuot (or Shavuos, in Ashkenazi usage; Shabhuʿoth in Classical and Mizrahi Hebrew Hebrew: שבועות, lit. "Weeks") is a Jewish holiday that occurs on the sixth day of the Hebrew month of Sivan. Shavuot commemorates the anniversary of the day God gave the Torah to the entire Israelite nation assembled at Mount Sinai. The holiday is one of the Shalosh Regalim, the three Biblical pilgrimage festivals. It marks the conclusion of the Counting of the Omer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shavuot
Always a scary time, 3 whole days before Shavuot, I will be really watching myself and preparing for the sound of trumpets.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:14 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,367,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Always a scary time, 3 whole days before Shavuot, I will be really watching myself and preparing for the sound of trumpets.
Hannibal, the Jews receive their "judgement" for the upcoming year from Hashem on Rosh Hashana. Those are truly the days of awe. Shavous is just a big throw down - staying up all night the first night to learn Torah and eating yummy zita and cheesecake. Nothing to be afraid of.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:23 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Hannibal, the Jews receive their "judgement" for the upcoming year from Hashem on Rosh Hashana. Those are truly the days of awe. Shavous is just a big throw down - staying up all night the first night to learn Torah and eating yummy zita and cheesecake. Nothing to be afraid of.
I see all the Holy days of God as fearsome days, wasn't it at Shavuot where Moses told them not to go near their wives and to prepare to hear the voice of God where that terrifying trumpet began to sound and the people said,'' Don't let God speak to us again lest we die?''

I just see them as all appointed visitation days but you are right as far as I am concerned, I see Rosh Hashanah way different from the others. But have you noticed just how many things occurred during the wheat harvest? It seems to be a time of reoccurring events.

I suppose you are right though, it's just that I am in awe whether it be the least of feast days or the greatest. If I knew God was going to come close to me and bless me, I would still be laid out on the floor face down in fear.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:40 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,367,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I see all the Holy days of God as fearsome days, wasn't it at Shavuot where Moses told them not to go near their wives and to prepare to hear the voice of God where that terrifying trumpet began to sound and the people said,'' Don't let God speak to us again lest we die?''

I just see them as all appointed visitation days but you are right as far as I am concerned, I see Rosh Hashanah way different from the others. But have you noticed just how many things occurred during the wheat harvest? It seems to be a time of reoccurring events.

I suppose you are right though, it's just that I am in awe whether it be the least of feast days or the greatest. If I knew God was going to come close to me and bless me, I would still be laid out on the floor face down in fear.
Your approach to the chag is perfect. Many Yidden could aspire to have the fear of Hashem that you possess. Chag Sameach to you, Pruz who started this thread, and all the forum. May you all have a meaningful and enjoyable 3-day Yom tov.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:24 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Your approach to the chag is perfect. Many Yidden could aspire to have the fear of Hashem that you possess. Chag Sameach to you, Pruz who started this thread, and all the forum. May you all have a meaningful and enjoyable 3-day Yom tov.
You also...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism