Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 09:10 AM

170 posts, read 106,427 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious if there're any Yiddish speakers out there, whether you're fluent or you can just shprech a few words here or there.

Yiddish culture is alive and coming back well with millennials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 10:01 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
i know a few words, and would love to become fluent. When I am around people who speak it, I pick it up. When my grandparents were living and they spoke German and Yiddish, I would pick it up in bits. I found an old sepia postcard a few years ago with printed text in Hebrew letters, and I wanted to know what it said, so I took it to shul during the week and carried it around until I found someone who could read it. Well, pretty much everyone there can read Hebrew, but as soon as they started reading it aloud, they said "It's Yiddish!" and handed it back. Eventually I found someone who could read it aloud and tell me what it said in Yiddish.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:12 AM

646 posts, read 465,191 times
Good to see someone who is as passionate about Yiddish as I am. Lol.

I started a thread on Yiddish songs a while back, btw.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:57 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
My 4 grandparents were the last in the family line to speak Yiddish in the home. I speak none. My boys are learning Aramaic (the language of the Talmud) instead - deeply relevant in our lives. My daughters will learn some Hebrew, which may come in handy when moschiach comes but otherwise isn't particularly useful.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:58 AM

However, I do like knowing that there are Jews (and even non-Jews like the OP) out there who still speak Yiddish.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:33 AM

646 posts, read 465,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
However, I do like knowing that there are Jews (and even non-Jews like the OP) out there who still speak Yiddish.
How do we know he's not Jewish? Did he clarify anyhere who in his family is Jewish and who is not?

Old 07-17-2016, 10:40 PM

671 posts, read 854,427 times
I know a little (very very little) Yiddish by osmosis from my childhood in Brooklyn but it does not strike an emotional chord with me as I have no ancestral ties to the language.

Actually, some of the words that I know in Yiddish were English slang to me until I was older. I didn't even realize that they words from another language as so many people used them.

I am fascinated with language preservation and language study so I hope that this important language never dies. Keep speaking it to the little ones!

Old 07-18-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
How do we know he's not Jewish? Did he clarify anyhere who in his family is Jewish and who is not?
He said father Jewish, mother a non-Orthodox convert.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:12 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times
My experience with Yiddish is varied and uneven. Growing up I heard the words and phrases that had passed into the vernacular (don't hock me a cheinig, gey cocken affn yam and stuff like that).

I worked with students whose families spoke Yiddish in the home (both modern Orthodox -- they spoke it not out of a Chassidic allegiance to old country ways but because of a love of Yiddish). I also heard bits of Yiddish when I went places in the US and elsewhere which had sizable Chassidic communoties. I also work with and live in the area with people whose families have more Chassidic branches to some of my co-workers and friends speak some Yiddish or throw phrases around in conversations (one of the local jokes has the punchlines "mach a zoy" and another revolves around "nisht shabbes geret").

When I sat for my farher for smicha (oral exam for ordination) one of the rabbis testing me spoke only in Yiddish. As my knowledge of Yiddish was nigh on non-existent, I had to work hard to pick things up from context.

And this morning, my dad asked me if I wanted tickets to see The Golden Bride (a Yiddish Operetta).

Old 07-18-2016, 10:03 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
He said father Jewish, mother a non-Orthodox convert.
so depending on her conversion, it may not be valid according to halacha, which would affect whether the children are Jewish

[halacha = Jewish law]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism