Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 05:45 PM

203 posts, read 121,561 times

Advertisements

Please excuse me if this question isn't in the correct forum. After looking at threads in the movie, history, and world forums, it appeared I might have better luck here.

My question: on what kibbutzim were the following three movies (partially) filmed: "Exodus," "Cast A Giant Shadow," and "Judith"?

I've tried to find these locations on IMDB, Google, etc., with no luck. I'm not looking for the cities shown in these movies -- most of which I recognize -- but just the kibbutzim.

Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 06:34 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Are you certain that the scenes were filmed on actual kibbutzim, and not on temporary movie lot villages set up to resemble kibbutzim?

Old 06-25-2019, 08:49 PM

Rachel, I'm not one hundred per cent sure, but the few references I've found mention something like "filmed in Acre, Jerusalem, and an Israeli kibbutz." The kibbutz in "Exodus" looks very much like the kibbutzim I saw when I spent a year as a volunteer on a Jezreel Valley kibbutz.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:28 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiomatic View Post
Rachel, I'm not one hundred per cent sure, but the few references I've found mention something like "filmed in Acre, Jerusalem, and an Israeli kibbutz." The kibbutz in "Exodus" looks very much like the kibbutzim I saw when I spent a year as a volunteer on a Jezreel Valley kibbutz.
https://alchetron.com/Exodus-(1960-film)

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Gan+Da...APIPH1&PC=APPL

Old 06-26-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
I found your answer for at least the movie Exodus. The fictional kibbutz of Gan Dafna (which appears in the original novel by Leon Uris) was not represented in the movie by any location filming on an actual, existing kibbutz. Gan Dafna of the novel was the only location site specifically built for the movie.

Below I have quoted the relevant information from an article published on April 17, 1960 in The New York Times, titled "Guiding a Film 'Exodus': Actual Sites Give Realism and Color to the Drama of Palestinian Strife," by Fred Hift.

Quote:
The only location site to be built for the film is Gan Dafna, the children's village lying on a slope opposite Kfar Kana, which plays an important part in the "Exodus" story. A mile of special access road was constructed to reach this area, which provides a fine view of the lush green Valley of Jezreel.
Give me a little more time, and I'll see what I can find out about the other two movies you mentioned.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:45 AM

The movie Judith also had a movie-lot creation of a kibbutz, instead of having been filmed in an actual kibbutz. The relevant information is quoted below, from an article published on January 21, 1966 in Newsday, titled "Judith Fails to Rise to Occasion," by Joseph Gelmis.

Quote:
For a movie that claims to strive for authenticity, "Judith" is incredibly dishonest. Bulldozers built roads, a kibbutz and a barbed-wire fortification to create a 1948 setting.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:52 PM

Rachel, thank you for this information, which is very helpful. By any chance did you find out where in Israel (or elsewhere) these kibbutz movie sets were built?

Kitty's cottage in "Exodus" looked very authentic, down to the size and shape of the windows and weave of the curtains and bedspread!

Old 06-26-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Rachel, thank you for this information, which is very helpful. By any chance did you find out where in Israel (or elsewhere) these kibbutz movie sets were built?

Kitty's cottage in "Exodus" looked very authentic, down to the size and shape of the windows and weave of the curtains and bedspread!

The re-creation of Gan Dafna for Exodus was the only one of the two I've found that gave any kind of geographic description for its location (see my posting about it above).

I kind of figured that the movie crews would have built their own sets, even when filming on location. There are all kinds of logistical problems with using an already existing village, involving getting permissions and dealing with "civilians" unexpectedly finding their way into a camera shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism