Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 11:37 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,877,676 times

Advertisements

Today (January 27th) is Holocaust Remembrance Day. Consider the timing, as only a little more than two weeks ago a Tennessee school board voted unanimously to ban Art Spiegelman's Pulitzer Prize-winning graphic novel Maus.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tennessee...043746726.html

I can't bring myself to quote here the shallow comments made by Mike Cochran, a member of the McMinn County Board of Education. You can read them for yourself by clicking on the link I've provided.

I read Maus many years ago, and it was not the "cussing" in this graphic novel that left the deepest impression on me. I have three questions, for those who care to answer:

1. How can the "cussing" in this book shock some people more than the shocking reality of how the Holocaust continued to affect survivors and the families of survivors long after Nazi Germany was defeated?

2. The teaching of history is already being censored by school boards throughout this country, because certain aspects of U.S. history make some people feel "uncomfortable." How long do you think it will be before teaching about the Holocaust is similarly censored, because it makes some people feel "uncomfortable"?

3. As a Jew, how do you choose to respond to this? For those here who are not Jewish, how do you choose to respond to this?

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 01-26-2022 at 11:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 12:36 AM

7,138 posts, read 4,546,769 times
I have always felt that the world can never be allowed to forget about the Holocaust. I read all the time but the 3 personal accounts of it I will never forget even though it’s been 35 years (Man’s Search for Meaning, Night and All but My Life).

When I went to my son’s wedding in Poland we went to Auschwitz and the experience was a deep, intense pain. The only way to describe it was that I could truly feel people’s souls. I don’t believe in banning books or shielding kids from history. I have no clue how cussing is deemed to be more offensive than the Holocaust. I am not Jewish but have a Jewish friend. He has helped me to understand the faith.

Old 01-27-2022, 05:02 AM

43,675 posts, read 44,416,401 times
The Israeli Holocaust Day will continue to be observed as long as there is a State of Israel. As for the International Holocaust Day, it is hard to imagine whether it will endure when even those who met Holocaust survivors have died out. For my part, I tend to try to educate people about Israel in general and this includes the Holocaust which happened only a few years before establishment of modern Israel in 1948.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:54 AM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times
We will never forget.

A few months ago I read a really moving book written by a Holocaust survivor, Thomas Buergenthal. I purchased the book at Schindler's Factory in Krakow when I visited there last fall. The author wrote it from his perspective as a young child. It's fascinating, heartbreaking and even has some light moments in it. In the end, it's very uplifting. Here's a link to the book on Amazon in case anyone is interested. https://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Child-M...%2C1396&sr=1-1 It reminds me of the movie, "Life Is Beautiful."

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:11 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times
This book shouldn't be banned any more than Huckleberry Finn should be banned and no I am not comparing slavery to the Holocaust, just pointing out the stupidity that prevails in our superficially puritanical, moronic society.

I am good friends with a woman who is the daughter of Holocaust survivors. Her father is no longer with us but she lives with and takes care of her mother who is alive and well at the ripe age of 94 and just survived a serious bout with Covid.

Never forget.

Old 01-27-2022, 02:56 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
There are two programs today at the NYPL

This one requires registration
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/makers-...term=viewevent

This one is on Youtube and the NYPL events website
https://www.nypl.org/events/programs...al?nref=121031

Old 01-27-2022, 05:54 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
And there's also a new film about some very brave and lucky survivors.

https://www.wliw.org/programs/thirte...ogether+button

Old 01-28-2022, 06:37 AM

43,675 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Another Holocaust survivor story:
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/on-air/as...years/3520092/

Old 01-28-2022, 11:57 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
If you have access to today's copy of the Dayton Daily News in Ohio, please see the article at p. D1, "Holocaust rescuer recalls years when Germany occupied Holland." It's about Dayton resident Marinus Bosma, who at age seventeen in Holland helped hide many Jews from the Nazis and murder in the gas chambers and saved many lives. Marinus, age 96, is the father of Dayton Area Mensa member Ben Bosma, Tipp City.

Old 01-28-2022, 03:33 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
This book shouldn't be banned any more than Huckleberry Finn should be banned and no I am not comparing slavery to the Holocaust, just pointing out the stupidity that prevails in our superficially puritanical, moronic society.

I am good friends with a woman who is the daughter of Holocaust survivors. Her father is no longer with us but she lives with and takes care of her mother who is alive and well at the ripe age of 94 and just survived a serious bout with Covid.

Never forget.
Bought the hardcover deluxe edition from my local bookstore today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism