Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:29 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times

Advertisements

Two of the kids I went to school with were the best of friends right through high school. I had heard a remark or two in those years, now I understand what the grownups meant....he was of Arab descent and she was a Jew. Goes to show if the hatred wasn't perpetuated generation after generation and people were left to think and be themselves, hatred would disappear and peace would follow.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:59 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Two of the kids I went to school with were the best of friends right through high school. I had heard a remark or two in those years, now I understand what the grownups meant....he was of Arab descent and she was a Jew. Goes to show if the hatred wasn't perpetuated generation after generation and people were left to think and be themselves, hatred would disappear and peace would follow.
My best friend in high school was Palestinian, I'm Jewish. It was never a big deal. Her dad who is a Palestinian refugee even taught me how to make hummus and falafel as well as taught me some Arabic.

I go to a Jewish founded college now that is about 50% Jewish. However, there are a handful of Palestinian students as well as students from all over the Middle East. This idea that Jews and Muslims cannot get along organically is absolutely ridiculous. It comes from handing down hatred, not from some higher force.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:18 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My best friend in high school was Palestinian, I'm Jewish. It was never a big deal. Her dad who is a Palestinian refugee even taught me how to make hummus and falafel as well as taught me some Arabic.

I go to a Jewish founded college now that is about 50% Jewish. However, there are a handful of Palestinian students as well as students from all over the Middle East. This idea that Jews and Muslims cannot get along organically is absolutely ridiculous. It comes from handing down hatred, not from some higher force.
And it simply isn't true that Muslims and Jews have always been at odds. For centuries, Muslims thought well of and treated the Jews among them well as people of the book. The recent hatred and usage of the old slanders against Jews is of fairly recent origins within the Muslim populations - really since the origination of Israel, which leads to the conclusion that at its heart the current dispute is a territorial dispute. Also is the Arab belief that they should be in control of the secular governments - this can be recognized as jealousy.

Historically, there has been more animosity and mistreatment of Jews by Christians than Arabs through the centuries. Since the excessive viciousness in WWII, most Christians have backed off on the old prejudices, but now the Arabs take up the mantle.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:

That's right, charolastra. I'm glad to see another person knows "the truth". The truth being that this hatred is ridiculous and only continues because people bring their children up to continue this hatred from birth.

I'm not sure about the original conflict NOT being handed down from a "higher source" though. I think it was another "test" from God to HIS people and IMO the Isrealites have done well. I think they want peace. I think they would like to co-exist with the Arab nations. That being said, I really don't know what either side wants except land. I think the Jews would live side by side with their Arab neighbors but from what I see and hear, the Arabs want to obliterate the Jews. I may be wrong in my thoughts but that's the way I see the conflict over there. Of course now I see the radical Muslims wanting to eradicate all of Christianity too. I just don't understand this. Why can they not let people live the way they want to live? What is the matter with them?

Sorry, I did not mean to take this off in another direction. Just typing out my thoughts as they come.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:25 AM

91 posts, read 411,862 times
Jews have historically been middlemen.

Middlemen are always the first to be lashed out at when times go bad.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:28 AM

Very well put, tesaje. Not knowing any middle eastern history, you make me realize that the Arabs and Jews did get along at times and this renewal is since the six day war? That this new extremism is fairly new? That's a pity.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:00 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Very well put, tesaje. Not knowing any middle eastern history, you make me realize that the Arabs and Jews did get along at times and this renewal is since the six day war? That this new extremism is fairly new? That's a pity.
Its been an on and off thing for several hundred years. Incidently, I know an Egyptian Christian who told me some real horror stories about how Christians are treated in Egypt.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:31 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Its been an on and off thing for several hundred years. Incidently, I know an Egyptian Christian who told me some real horror stories about how Christians are treated in Egypt.
There was more friction between early Christians and Muslims than between Jews and Muslims. In Egypt when the Sultans swept across N. Africa and conquered it in the name of Allah, there was a vibrant Christian community that they decided had to be crushed to install Islam. This conflict continued just about forever as the Muslim religion (at the point of the sword, just like Christianity was spread) came into direct conflict with Christian realms. After the diaspora, circa ~70AD, Jews were just in communities in various places but never again were a majority (until the creation of modern day Israel). So the Christian-Muslim conflicts can be easily understood in the many political conflicts, whereas the Jewish-whatever conflicts need to be looked at more deeply to understand why.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:21 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
That's right, charolastra. I'm glad to see another person knows "the truth". The truth being that this hatred is ridiculous and only continues because people bring their children up to continue this hatred from birth.

I'm not sure about the original conflict NOT being handed down from a "higher source" though. I think it was another "test" from God to HIS people and IMO the Isrealites have done well. I think they want peace. I think they would like to co-exist with the Arab nations. That being said, I really don't know what either side wants except land. I think the Jews would live side by side with their Arab neighbors but from what I see and hear, the Arabs want to obliterate the Jews. I may be wrong in my thoughts but that's the way I see the conflict over there. Of course now I see the radical Muslims wanting to eradicate all of Christianity too. I just don't understand this. Why can they not let people live the way they want to live? What is the matter with them?

Sorry, I did not mean to take this off in another direction. Just typing out my thoughts as they come.
The thing is, there are plenty of Jewish and Zionist extremists in Israel. The people moving out to the settlements are just as small minded and bigoted as the Islamic extremists. However, rather than using the threat of violence to enact power, they use their political legitimacy and economic control. We're ingrained to think that suicide bombers are so horrible- which they are. But are they really all that worse than a system that allows Jewish settlements to exist looking like a suburb in California with lush green gardens and pools next to impoverished refugee camps that might get safe water 3 hours a day?

Old 06-02-2008, 07:35 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:

Heck, I even dated a Palestinian man for a short time... of course when I dumped him, he used anti-Semitic slurs to express his displeasure, so I guess that's not a good example. But I agree, it's generational hatred that is being passed down, which is quite sad in my opinion. Luckily my parents didn't perpetuate that into our family, but I see it from other Jewish & Muslim people regularly - even in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism