Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,171 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are taking our 2 year old to Kansas City for a weekend getaway in May. I have been looking at what there is to see there with a child. Does anyone have any good places that they have seen with there families? Just wanting some other peoples opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 03:35 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
If the weather is good you might go to the Kansas City Zoo or relax at Loose Park just South of the Plaza (51st & Wornall). See a few wild animals being rehabilitated at Lakeside Nature Center. The Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead in Overland Park is nice.

http://kansascityzoo.org/

http://www.lakesidenaturecenter.org/programs.html

http://www.opkansas.org/Things-to-Se...rens-Farmstead

Kansas City Toy & Miniature Museum

http://www.toyandminiaturemuseum.org/

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 03-30-2011 at 03:44 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
This zoo is a great idea.

I would also add Crown Center:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
My kids LOVES trains. Here is what you do.

Stay in Crown Center. The Hyatt and Westin both can offer very good rates for very nice hotels. Under $150. Much less if you do priceline or something.

I would try for the Westin though.

Then you would have access to a bunch of attractions within the downtown/plaza area via taxi or max bus but much of what you will want to do is within walking distance.

Go to Fritz in Crown Center. The train themed restaurant brings food to the tables via trains. The original one is in KCK, but the one in crown center is better in my opinion and it's the one all the tourists go to.

Also within walking distance is Union Station where you can fill a day with train related stuff.

The station itself is an amazing train station and there is a foot bridge behind the station where you can walk across one of the busiest railways in the nation. Over 250 trains a day pass under the bridge including Amtrak trains.

The station is also home to a railroad museum which is part of Science City. I think you can buy passes to the RR Museum alone or to the Science City as a package. Your son would enjoy the RR Museum as well as Science City and if you have time grab a movie playing at the IMAX or the planetarium.

There are also model trains in the lower level of Union Station and sometimes in the main hall. If you are lucky, you might even hit a model RR show which happen about twice a year at the station.

Also within walking distance of the westin or hyatt is the hallmark visitors center which might interest you as well as the WWI monument and museum.

But like I said, if you want to see even more of the city, it's all a $5 cab ride away in the downtown and plaza areas or you can take a MAX bus and most kids like to ride city buses.
Be sure and go to the model train exhibit in Union Station. It's free and it's amazing for both young children and adults.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akgqgwLZcIU

Last edited by kcmo; 03-31-2011 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,171 times
Thank You All! My son LOVES trains so all that sounds awesome! Thank You all for your in put. It will make out stay in Kansas City better!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:35 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Is that Crayola place still in Crown Center?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:36 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Is that Crayola place still in Crown Center?
still there. The new aquarium will take Crown Center to a new level as a family destinatin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City