Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:48 AM

8 posts, read 11,372 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I and our cat are moving from Michigan to Kansas City. He grew up in a very urban neighborhood, but I grew up a suburbanite. We would like to live in the city, near bus lines. We're particularly interested in the area around West 39th st. We've seen some houses for rent on Craigslist just south of Rockhurst University. We're not planning on children any time soon, so no need to worry about schools. What neighborhoods would you recommend or not recommend? Chief interests are: safety, public transportation, and nearby gyms, restaurants, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 11:49 AM

709 posts, read 1,493,044 times
The area around West 39th is fantastic - I would definitely recommend it. The bus line that runs down W 39th is not the best in the city - but it is definitely serviceable. You will be close to a couple gyms and plenty of restaurants, etc.

I wouldn't particularly recommend the area south of Rockhurst unless you are going to school there, or UMKC. It's not a particularly bad area - but it does border on some bad areas. You would be close to Brookside - which is a plus - but further away from Downtown, Midtown, Plaza, etc. Another plus would be the Troost Max BRT line.

If public transportation is your chief concern, you may want to look for somewhere near the Main St. Max line - which connects the most useful points in the city and runs fairly often and quickly.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Where walkability is concerned, 39th St West really has a leg-up on the Rockhurst area. It's a great area right on 3 bus lines that will take you anywhere in the city you'd like to go, with loads off restaurants and shops and a bars. There is a grocery store less than a milea away in Westport as well as a large and new Gold's Gym.

When looking for apartments in Volker or Roanoke (Volker is south of and Roanoke is north of 39th) it's often helpful to search for KU Med on Craigslist. A lot of landlords use that as a key word, especially because Volker seems to not always be so well known a name.

I live right in the area so please let me know if you have other questions!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
The bus line that runs down W 39th is not the best in the city - but it is definitely serviceable. You will be close to a couple gyms and plenty of restaurants, etc.
I have to disagree with that a little bit. The 47 runs right across 39th right there as well and there's almost no where in the city you can't get with that line. Additionally, the 51 crosses Southwest Trafficway on the eastern edge of the neighborhood and that bus goes damn near everywhere.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:32 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,807,336 times
In addition to W39th, I would suggest living anywhere along the MAX Orange bus line...

1st-31st Street is good as is 43rd to the inner ring burbs, but few single family homes downtown. The middle is doable but more iffy than the rest. There are condos to rent downtown unless you really want a standalone house, then scratch downtown.

Hoods to check out along line...
River Market/Columbus Park (condos/apt mostly - some scrappy homes in Columbus Park)
Quality Hill/Library Loft districts downtown (condos/apt only)
Crossroads/Freighthouse/Western Auto (condos/apts only)
Union Hill (cool old homes, some probably rentable)
Maybe Armour/Old Hyde Park but it's more iffy than other hoods if from suburban mindset
Southmoreland E of 43rd (lots of older homes, many for rent)
Plaza area (pricey for homes, plenty of condos/apts otherwise)
UMKC area has good mix of homes to rent

This is one of the better bus lines in the city...

Areas along the 51 bus line (Broadway) is also something to check out, but the bus doesn't run as often as MAX lines.

Last edited by xenokc; 06-15-2011 at 01:17 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 12:36 PM

Check out KCATA | Home Page for the full bus system. Note that most regular bus lines run a lot less often than the MAX lines. The w39th lines run fairly often.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I have to disagree with that a little bit. The 47 runs right across 39th right there as well and there's almost no where in the city you can't get with that line.
Right, but the 47 comes only once every 40 minutes. You can get where you want to go, but you've got to plan it around the bus schedule.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
Right, but the 47 comes only once every 40 minutes. You can get where you want to go, but you've got to plan it around the bus schedule.
True enough, but if you were lokoing to use it to commute, it's every 20 minutes during rush times.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:23 PM

w39th is doable for transit. if you can handle less frequency, i'd suggest that area (and W side of Midtown/Plaza in general). if transit is more important and you don't have a car, living on MAX Orange line may make more sense.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:03 PM

I didn't mean to come off as too disparaging of transit for W 39th. I know several people that rely on the 47 as their main source of transit. Personally, the prospect of missing your bus and having to wait 40 minutes for the next one frightens me. When I lived between the 47 and the MAX Orange, even though the 47 took me closer to my usual destination, I would take the MAX and walk a bit further.

But, you also have the 39 that will take you to the MAX orange - or you can bike and ride.

W 39th is definitely doable for transit and is a very walkable area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City