Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2006, 06:55 AM

2 posts, read 7,409 times

Advertisements

My family is looking for a place to move away from Austin to. We are middle class white lesbians, with an adopted black daughter. From what it seems, KC has many integrated areas where blacks and whites live together. Is this true? Also, are these established neighborhoods, or in the process of turning one way or the other? I would be happy with an established black middle class neighborhood, which doesn't exist in Austin. Plus, to top it all off, we need to feel safe as a gay family. Our neighbors here are all very wonderful, but all white. Does anyone know of a neighborhood there where we would find both integration and acceptance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 3,474 times
I can think of a lot of areas in Kansas City where you will be fine. It really depends on whether you want to slip into a quieter suburban area and just go on about your business or do you want a livelier pace with more access to downtown/plaza and more culturally diverse neighbors? The Rockhill area, which is southeast of the Plaza (by all of a 5-10 minute drive), and even heading further south into Waldo, has lovely middle class families, many black, with great older houses and a healthy real estate market. You can get a great bang for your buck in this area in terms of housing.

There are gay couples who are homeowners in this area and all around midtown who can relax and be openly gay without any flak. This area is fairly liberal in politics, and definitely tolerant. Shoot, we're the token Republicans on our block and they haven't run us off yet =)

Seriously, it's a nice lifestyle in the midwest, and KC is great. I'm from Austin, myself. The areas I'm talking about remind me of Clarksville or areas right off S. Lamar. Nice. Fun. Colorful. I think you'll like it.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 3,474 times
Umm, I should mention I haven't lived in Austin since the 1980s. If those neighborhoods have gone to pot in the interim, forgive my nostalgic inaccuracy!

Old 10-04-2006, 03:53 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Stella pretty well nailed it on the head.I doubt you will ever have a problem. You never know when you might run into an extremist anywhere.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:28 AM

14 posts, read 67,349 times
Move to KC on or around Troost & Prospect. It might be a good place. You'll find roads, dining, shopping and plenty of night life.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:39 AM

I would do some serious homework before using Tatts &Scars advice. Historically Troost has been the dividing line between the blacks and whites. Very few businesses move to Troost Ave due to crime. A program is under way to plant tulips along 50 blocks of Troost Ave to try and bring the Ave back. I would not want any female relative or friend to live in that immediate area. Sure hope i do not sound racist because it is not intended that way. An apology to anyone offended. The areas Stella mention are a lot more liberal. To me it is just about females living in a high crime area alone.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:36 AM

I think i need to clarify that the area we are speaking about is like a lot of older sections of cities. In some ways they are just like a small town in regards as to how strangers are accepted or looked at. I think most new comers to this area already have fiends or relatives in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City