Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:41 AM

11,108 posts, read 24,010,831 times

Advertisements

Seriously, look at how much land was cleared and how many homes were leveled (looks like over 70 homes) for a local police station.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.07790...14248&t=h&z=16

Why is this police station so sprawling? It could have been easily built in one of the many empty single blocks. The area around 24th and Vine is practically rural. A 100,000 sq ft urban police station could have been built without tearing anything down or closing off many through streets to build a fortress.

I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 06:55 AM

495 posts, read 783,411 times
I knew they tore down some houses, but had no idea it was that large of a parcel. This better be the granddaddy of all police stations.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:02 AM

290 posts, read 349,210 times
East Patrol is certainly quite large. I heard the land that needed to be cleared wasn't quite as large, but the city decided to remove additional houses from the site for whatever reason.

Civic » Helix

Old 09-25-2014, 08:06 AM

654 posts, read 639,387 times
Geez, are they rebuilding Municipal Stadium, or just building a police station there?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:51 AM

Are you guys seeing the cleared lot? When I click on the link I provided, I now get an old google map image and have to go to google earth to see the actual recent clearing. Odd.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:58 AM

654 posts, read 639,387 times
I see a huge dirt lot, that spans several city blocks. After looking at it and comparing it to the site that has new housing on it that is where Municipal Stadium used to be, this footprint actually appears to be LARGER than the footprint of old Municipal Stadium. I know that area of town could probably use some additional police presence, but this is kind of ridiculous to have a building site bigger than one that used to house an entire stadium that held over 50,000 people.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:13 AM

975 posts, read 1,411,436 times
I went on Google street view and I was shocked that many of the houses that were torn down appeared to be beautiful homes that were well maintained. Google street view allows you to see this neighborhood as it looked in 2011.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:54 AM

Here is a rendering of what it will look like. I just don't see why this could not have been built on a much smaller lot in one of the empty blocks nearby. To destroy 70 homes across four blocks when you already have so many blocks where homes have already been leveled like around the 71 highway right of way and the Beacon Hill area (which was cleared several years ago and little has been built).

Old 09-25-2014, 12:00 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,397,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Here is a rendering of what it will look like. I just don't see why this could not have been built on a much smaller lot in one of the empty blocks nearby. To destroy 70 homes across four blocks when you already have so many blocks where homes have already been leveled like around the 71 highway right of way and the Beacon Hill area (which was cleared several years ago and little has been built).
Do they have something against multi-storie buildings?

Old 09-25-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Do they have something against multi-storie buildings?
It looks like they are trying to fix the crime problem in the area by have a very large and visible police footprint rather than trying to design a building that fits better within the neighborhood.

I could be wrong, but I don’t see how this would deter crime more. The campus touches more neighborhoods, but it also has a large buffer around and doesn’t look very approachable on foot.

This could have been an architectural centerpiece and community focus point of the Beacon Hill area. Instead of spending the money they spent buying 70 homes and tearing them down, the city could have assisted developers with incentives for new construction alongside a new more urban PD building in Beacon Hill.

Instead of breaking up and walking off these neighborhoods with this fortress, the city could have got the ball rolling on another project around the corner that is has not finished. The city tore down most of the homes in Beacon Hill, built a few, renovated a few and quit. A 20 million dollar Police station would have left 50 million to build up an actual neighborhood around it. Instead the city spent 70 million to destroy four city blocks and make the entire area less walkable.

Just an idea.

Water under the bridge I guess…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City