Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 05:10 PM

8 posts, read 6,907 times

Advertisements

It's midwest weather.

Chicago weather might be a little snowier, but here we get ice on the roads...idk if Chicago gets all that rain/snow mix like KC does. Summer is humid. Might be a bit worse than Chicago in summer. Probably more sunny days per year in KC.

Oh yeah and the severe weather...tornadoes can and will happen in Kansas in Missouri. Just know that they most often touch down in more rural areas first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 11:47 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
If you want wind, move to Oklahoma City. It never stops.....

Old 10-09-2017, 03:08 PM

112 posts, read 99,783 times
I've lived in Chicago and here (and other places). Spring comes significantly earlier here. Fall comes later but the difference isn't as big. It can get just as cold here (almost) but never lasts as long. Much less snow on average and it melts faster. We get warm ups in January and February Chicago can only dream of. They may not last long, but they're a nice break.

In short, you won't be escaping winter compared to Chicago. But it's much less harsh, doesn't last as long, and you get occasional breaks you don't get in Chicago.

Summer is much hotter and more humid, and lasts longer. Summers here can be brutal, but not every year. This year wasn't too bad at all. If hot, humid weather bothers you, KC will definitely take some getting used to compared to Chicago (and CA). But Fall and Spring tend to be very nice and long. Trade offs.

Someone who grew up here and moved away as a kid once told me that her memories were of it always being too hot or too cold. But I think that's just because you remember the really hot and really cold times. KC has wide swings. I think that makes things interesting. But if you like the relative tranquility of Orange County, the weather won't be your favorite thing about KC.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:17 PM

112 posts, read 99,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
There is not much similarity between Chicagoland and KC in terms of weather overall. I have lived in both regions as well as NWI, southern Wisconsin (Madison), and central New Hampshire, (by Concord). Chicagoland has four distinct seasons with mild/warm summer and consistently cold winter usually unlike KC. Chicagoland is also quite a bit cooler during the "shoulder" seasons of Spring and Autumn. Both can see abrupt temperature swings with Plains/Prairie fronts. KC has far worse heat and humidity than Chicagoland, and yes it can be extremely brutal, meaning heat index readings in excess of 110 to 115F during some periods of time. Chicago has seen this before, heat wave of 1995, but not common like in KC. KC residents behave exactly like southerners when it comes to snowfall as many become quite dramatic over a small amount predicted, even in January. KC is much more aligned with the South when it comes to winter, and not the Midwest in this regard.
As someone who has lived in the south (well, Dallas), I have to say that KC winter weather feels more midwestern than southern. I get that you're from very wintry areas, and everything is relative. But Dallas will go years without measurable snow. People we know who have moved here from Texas think it's horrendously freezing.

BTW, I've also lived in Minneapolis, Chicago and southern Indiana. So I have a pretty good perspective. True, KC Is not as cold/snowy as the upper midwest. But it's on par with other parts of the midwest like Indiana, southern Iowa and Nebraska, and Ohio. Maybe it depends on your definition of the midwest. Growing up in Texas, I thought of MN, WI and MI as "the North" rather than the midwest.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:04 PM

377 posts, read 569,981 times
I grew up in the OC and even met my wife, a native KC girl, in Laguna Beach. Take my word for it: get out and come to Kansas City. It's a terrific place, and any gnarly weather is more than made up for by the lack of real traffic, lower cost of living, friendly people and an abundance of culture and coolness that still surprises me after living here for more than 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City