Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:49 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times

Advertisements

I'm going to do today's and tomorrow's work today so I can go. First time in years that the weather is going to be nice for the parade. I'd like to get down there early and eat breakfast before the parade? Maybe eat/park on the Plaza and then walk to Westport to watch the parade? The Classic Cup? I read that the Dark Horse in Westport is serving biscuits and gravy - "all you can eat and drink" for $15. Don't know what the all you can drink is (green beer maybe?). I definitely wouldn't get my money's worth on that deal since about 2 drinks is all I can handle.

Anyway, any ideas? I'm thinking we will probably watch the parade more down in the Westport area than north of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 11:11 AM

418 posts, read 1,280,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I'm going to do today's and tomorrow's work today so I can go. First time in years that the weather is going to be nice for the parade. I'd like to get down there early and eat breakfast before the parade? Maybe eat/park on the Plaza and then walk to Westport to watch the parade? The Classic Cup? I read that the Dark Horse in Westport is serving biscuits and gravy - "all you can eat and drink" for $15. Don't know what the all you can drink is (green beer maybe?). I definitely wouldn't get my money's worth on that deal since about 2 drinks is all I can handle.

Anyway, any ideas? I'm thinking we will probably watch the parade more down in the Westport area than north of there.
i wish i was going, unfortunately stuck at work... i'm curious how it will be moved out of downtown (and pretty sad about it being moved, just used to it there)

Old 03-16-2009, 11:20 AM

I think it was originally at Westport and then was moved downtown. But starting at 33rd street seems kind of strange. It would be nice if it could start downtown and go through Wesport, the Plaza and up Ward Parkway but then that's a long walk for the parade participants, especially the ones who are walking/dancing/marching the whole way.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:38 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
I think it was originally at Westport and then was moved downtown. But starting at 33rd street seems kind of strange. It would be nice if it could start downtown and go through Wesport, the Plaza and up Ward Parkway but then that's a long walk for the parade participants, especially the ones who are walking/dancing/marching the whole way.
That would be one LONG parade!

I didn't go, but from the looks of the rest of Midtown and people walking there from all over, a lot of people did. I can't believe all the family that parked east of Main and walked to Broadway. There must have been at least 100,000 cars stolen and over 25,000 people shot or robbed.

What? Nothing happened? 150,000 suburbanites went to midtown and nothing happened.

Say it isn’t so!!!

Seriously though, what a smashing success and what a beautiful day it was.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
That would be one LONG parade!

I didn't go, but from the looks of the rest of Midtown and people walking there from all over, a lot of people did. I can't believe all the family that parked east of Main and walked to Broadway. There must have been at least 100,000 cars stolen and over 25,000 people shot or robbed.

What? Nothing happened? 150,000 suburbanites went to midtown and nothing happened.

Say it isn’t so!!!

Seriously though, what a smashing success and what a beautiful day it was.
New York's parade is what - 40 blocks? - and they survive!

I never said walking in midtown was dangerous in broad daylight. I said I wouldn't go walking around by myself at night in midtown. Westport during hours that everything is open and people are out, yeah. Same with the Plaza.

I don't think everyone attending the parade was from the suburbs.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
New York's parade is what - 40 blocks? - and they survive!

I never said walking in midtown was dangerous in broad daylight. I said I wouldn't go walking around by myself at night in midtown. Westport during hours that everything is open and people are out, yeah. Same with the Plaza.

I don't think everyone attending the parade was from the suburbs.
KC's parade is not that big. It's not the 40 blocks that kills the idea, it's spreading something out more than it already is. If you spread out the spectators over that large of an area, you will lose any sort of focal point and much of the excitement. This is not a NYC parade, it’s an overgrown small town parade with cheesy, trucks and convertibles driving up the street. I like the parade, but it is what it is.

I didn’t say it was only suburbanites. I said there were 150,000 suburbanites down there which is an arbitrary number. There were A TON of suburban families down there and they were walking through areas of the city that most wouldn’t drive through, even during the day because it’s “midtown”. Great way to show people that midtown isn’t all that bad. It was interesting watching what were obviously white suburban families walking with what were obviously were urban black youth to the parade. Nobody was killed or robbed as far as I know.

That was not directed at only you, but to the many people that seem to be extremely intimidated by urban KCMO, several of which have posted on this forum.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I didn’t say it was only suburbanites. I said there were 150,000 suburbanites down there which is an arbitrary number. There were A TON of suburban families down there and they were walking through areas of the city that most wouldn’t drive through, even during the day because it’s “midtown”. Great way to show people that midtown isn’t all that bad. It was interesting watching what were obviously white suburban families walking with what were obviously were urban black youth to the parade. Nobody was killed or robbed as far as I know.

Your stereotypes of "Johnson County people" is really way over the top.

Actually, the parade definitely could have stood to be spread out more. It was really hard to see the parade with all the people there; all I could see is what was directly in front of me and that was only when the people in front of me were sitting down and not standing up, which they did for part of the parade. Spread out would be good. It's not just "trucks and convertibles." There were lots of marching bands and performing groups. That's what I like to see.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:30 AM

Who said they were all from JoCo? You JoCo people don't think normal suburban white families live in the MO suburbs do you???

They probably could make it a little longer if there is not enough room for all the spectators.

I like the KC parade, don't get me wrong there.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Who said they were all from JoCo? You JoCo people don't think normal suburban white families live in the MO suburbs do you???

They probably could make it a little longer if there is not enough room for all the spectators.

I like the KC parade, don't get me wrong there.
You don't seem to have a problem with Missouri suburbanites, so I assumed by suburban families you meant Johnson countians.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
You don't seem to have a problem with Missouri suburbanites, so I assumed by suburban families you meant Johnson countians.
No, they annoy me just as much. It's pretty normal for many suburbanites to have a certain level of hostility toward the urban city, especially those born and raised in the burbs.

But they at least know there are nice areas on the MO side to live with good schools etc, since most of them live in them and they seem to be more reserved about the issues they do have with the urban city.

I don’t know why, but most of the people that post on forums like this or like kcstar.com etc that really rip on KCMO and the MO side tend to be from Johnson County.

Maybe you can tell me why? You just don’t hear people from Lee’s Summit or Liberty saying the things about KCMO that you hear from JoCo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City