Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:54 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times

Advertisements

Many of the Kansas City school districts should consolidate.

Here are the districts which I think should consolidate into the new KC district:
* Center (1 comprehensive high school)
* Hickman Mills (2 comprehensive high schools)
* Kansas City, Missouri (4 comprehensive high schools) (Keep in mind that all four have relatively small student bodies, especially since Van Horn HS left and joined the Independence district)
* North Kansas City (4 comprehensive high schools)
* Park Hill (2 comprehensive high schools)
* Raytown (2 comprehensive high schools)

In addition portions of other districts in the Kansas City city limits would be ceded over. That way cities surrounded by KC and KC are all in one school district, while suburbs like Independence and Lee's Summit still have their own districts. The district would be overwhelmingly made up of and controlled by areas NOT within the current KCMO district.

There would be one administration building (It doesn't have to be the KCMO building - It could be elsewhere) - And maybe two or three satellite offices - not many.

The idea is to cut administrative costs and to have effective leadership for the entire city limits; the current KCMO district is only a fraction of the KCMO city limits, and it is really run down. A larger KCMO district dominated by the entire city limits could be effectively operated and act in the interests of all of the students, inner city and suburban.

Schools in the former KCMO district would be consolidated, while new schools would be built in the suburban parts of KCMO. Most of the school attendance boundaries in the suburban areas would stay the same. People would be allowed to transfer from one high school to another as long as the receiving school's attendance counselor approves the transfer. That way the comprehensives would have some magnet programs, while the KCMO standalone magnets would also function to receive students from the entire district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Not a bad idea, but this would absolutely destroy growth on the Missouri side of the metro. If this happened, flight to the Kansas side and other MO suburbs would go off the charts. The Northland areas of KC would suffer and stop growing. The KCMO school district is a small part of KCMO now and most people that live in the city are not that worried about schools anyway. If you try something like this to fix the urban schools, you will break the suburban schools in the city limits (NKC, Liberty, Park Hill etc), in the process and the end result would be bad for all of KCMO.

I don't know what the answer is, but I think merging all the districts in the city would be a bad deal. The first thing KCMO SD needs to do is fire everybody at HQ and every single teacher and principle in the district, including my wife.

Then build a new school district council that is appointed by the state or mayor and rehire all the teachers and principles. This would get rid of all the racist people in the HQ and schools that make everything a "black" thing. If you are a white teacher in that district, you will not advance, if you are black teacher, you will. Even if the white teacher is a much better teacher.

The KCMOSD is screwed up and I don't think any suburban district wants any part of it, especially the mass drops in test scores if they had to bring in those students and their worthless parents.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:09 AM

Hmm... the idea is that the people who live in the northland, Liberty, Center, Raytown, Hickman, and Park Hill would more or less control the district. If the people in the KCMO District don't really care about the schools, I'm sure they wouldn't mind seeing the northland people in charge.

Now, the incompetents in the KCMOSD administration wouldn't like having power wrested from them, but I would say "Too bad" - Competent leaders from KCMOSD would be welcome to share power with the suburbanites, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Not a bad idea, but this would absolutely destroy growth on the Missouri side of the metro. If this happened, flight to the Kansas side and other MO suburbs would go off the charts. The Northland areas of KC would suffer and stop growing. The KCMO school district is a small part of KCMO now and most people that live in the city are not that worried about schools anyway. If you try something like this to fix the urban schools, you will break the suburban schools in the city limits (NKC, Liberty, Park Hill etc), in the process and the end result would be bad for all of KCMO.

I don't know what the answer is, but I think merging all the districts in the city would be a bad deal. The first thing KCMO SD needs to do is fire everybody at HQ and every single teacher and principle in the district, including my wife.

Then build a new school district council that is appointed by the state or mayor and rehire all the teachers and principles. This would get rid of all the racist people in the HQ and schools that make everything a "black" thing. If you are a white teacher in that district, you will not advance, if you are black teacher, you will. Even if the white teacher is a much better teacher.

The KCMOSD is screwed up and I don't think any suburban district wants any part of it, especially the mass drops in test scores if they had to bring in those students and their worthless parents.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:03 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Hmm... the idea is that the people who live in the northland, Liberty, Center, Raytown, Hickman, and Park Hill would more or less control the district. If the people in the KCMO District don't really care about the schools, I'm sure they wouldn't mind seeing the northland people in charge.

Now, the incompetents in the KCMOSD administration wouldn't like having power wrested from them, but I would say "Too bad" - Competent leaders from KCMOSD would be welcome to share power with the suburbanites, though
If that actually would happen, that would be great. My concern is that it wouldn't happen that way.
It could happen to an extent, maybe, but I'm afraid too many people would have a knee-jerk reaction and move out of the city in droves.

I like KCMO's idea of completely dismantling the current district and starting over.
Another idea would be to break it up into smaller pieces... after that complete dismantling. Each section of town would have it's own district. Parents might feel like they can be more involved in a leaner, more efficient district.
Like many problems in KC, there's way too much old-time politics involved with the current district.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I like KCMO's idea of completely dismantling the current district and starting over.
Another idea would be to break it up into smaller pieces... after that complete dismantling. Each section of town would have it's own district. Parents might feel like they can be more involved in a leaner, more efficient district.
Like many problems in KC, there's way too much old-time politics involved with the current district.
The thing is also that the current KCMO school district now makes up a small minority of the city, so proportionally the people in charge of the district are far outweighed by the people in the suburban periphery. The KCMO district may be visible, but people should not see it as representative of the education of the average KC citizen.

AFAIK the loss of western Independence and Sugar Creek neutered the KCMO school district.

Last edited by Vicman; 05-02-2009 at 02:51 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 12:59 PM

6 posts, read 12,926 times
Default Not a good idea

As a retired teacher who taught in Raytown for 20 years, I do not think this would be a good idea. The Kansas City school district is not run well...inefficient, etc. The other districts would end up trying to solve all their problems . Althought Raytown Schools are not what they were 20 years ago, Raytown citizens would never go for this plan...and I don't believe they should.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:06 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Doesn't happen often, but I agree with you totally on this one, kcmo.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:37 PM

50 posts, read 170,366 times
I hate to think of what including all of the croneyists in the KCMO SD would do to the good administrators and teachers in the districts that are actually ACCREDITED.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:50 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Doesn't happen often, but I agree with you totally on this one, kcmo.
Wow, I don't believe it!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:05 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
No way.

NKC, Park Hill, Liberty school districts are doing just fine. If you add in KCMO and other struggling school districts then it all goes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City