Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 05:23 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times

Advertisements

From this map, it looks like Kansans are doing pretty damn well, and better than Missourians - which is what I have would have expected to see.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/up...abt=0002&abg=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 07:43 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
The article seems very vague. "Hardest" I really didn't get and also, the criteria that I saw really was lacking. Number of people that are obese? Unemployment? When I turned the page, it was a different article.

Unemployment data from Dept of Labor: https://klic.dol.ks.gov/gsipub/index.asp?docid=472 and for rates of obesity I could only find 2013 and earlier: Adult Obesity in the United States: The State of Obesity

And, wouldn't poverty rate be critical when you determining the "hardest" place to live? Interactive Poverty Map | State and County Level Poverty Information

And something all of us need to consider about the "hardest" state to live in, tax rates: Best & Worst States to be a Taxpayer | WalletHub®

And there is the illegal immigration issue in KS and it looks like KS is more dependent on them than MO: Illegal Aliens Taking U.S. Jobs (2013) Seriously, call your elected officials and ask what they are doing to move e-verify forward in the state and prior to Obama, they still were not doing anything!

Another issue is that with sparse population in so many areas, goods and services are expensive for the cost of living of the area and also just limited. I cannot imagine what it must have been like before the internet but a lot of people in KS don't have the internet.

So, what would the common everyday person see as far as what would make a place hard to live?

Sorry but I just don't get the list and not being from Kansas, I'm not in that Kansas versus Missouri thing but I do understand it because Michigan and Indiana had the same thing.

Sorry but the article was extremely weak in presentation and I know this won't make Luzianne happy but facts speak for themselves. Seriously, when we look at what makes an area hard to live in, there are general things and family/person specific things and a really good indicator on what does make a state "hardest" to live in would be the reasons that people state for relocating. Census: More people moving out of Kansas than moving in | The Wichita Eagle The Wichita Eagle but that helps the unemployment numbers stay lower. And, this article although from 2012, it gives predictions into the future: Study: Kansas' population to drop more | CJOnline.com

"Hardest" places to live?

Old 02-16-2015, 08:22 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,238 times
And those os us in western Kansas even more so.
That's interesting...

Old 02-16-2015, 10:18 AM

638 posts, read 624,344 times
Love the jab at Missouri.

Its not surprising that the counties around KC, STL, and CoMO are doing the best.

Missouri is more like Ohio than Kansas.

Last edited by Moboy32; 02-16-2015 at 10:35 AM..

Old 02-16-2015, 11:28 AM

672 posts, read 811,126 times
Quote:
The Upshot came to this conclusion by looking at six data points for each county in the United States: education (percentage of residents with at least a bachelor’s degree), median household income, unemployment rate, disability rate, life expectancy and obesity
Cost of living not a factor?

Old 02-17-2015, 06:57 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I think most families would be interested in not the number of residents with at least a bachelor's degree (those working real estate and selling insurance who can't pay off their student loads since jobs being created here are unskilled - thus the illegal population getting the red carpet treatment) but in how the elementary and high schools rated. Median household income is another thing that in KS, you look at where the colleges and major medical centers are and you have high income there but it is not uncommon for the rest of the population to be making $10.00 or much less per hour. And, as I have stated before, when the population is older, you have retirement and with the out migration, well, in that case, it is nothing to brag about. Life expectancy never makes a lot of sense either way when you look at the stats. Obesity is high nearly everywhere but the lower the incomes and the less education, the worse the problem seems to be.

I just hope that we the taxpayers didn't pay for the study but I bet we did!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
If you look at other sites that measure quality of life in a certain area, INCLUDING City Data, they too take into consideration household income, education and unemployment rate. Those are huge factors. I do indeed care how many people have at least a bachelor's degree. You don't need a bachelor's degree to work in real estate or sell insurance, so I'm not sure what difference those people not being able to pay off their student loans makes.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:10 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
Love the jab at Missouri.

Its not surprising that the counties around KC, STL, and CoMO are doing the best.

Missouri is more like Ohio than Kansas.
You'd be shocked how much restraint is shown in this forum with regards to MO considering the many attacking posts and threads that are started here.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:14 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
JOCO....#11 out of over 3000 counties.

Gee, who knew.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:45 PM

638 posts, read 624,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You'd be shocked how much restraint is shown in this forum with regards to MO considering the many attacking posts and threads that are started here.
The Kansas government does it to itself. There are tons of non Missourians who rip Kansas, on this forum and others. Its just people speaking their mind on a backwards state government.

Last edited by Moboy32; 02-17-2015 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: