Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,946 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear from intelligent people who have background info about The Black Panthers and whether or not their guidelines would help influence our Black youth today and what are some of the problems our Black youth face and where are our Black Role Models in Topeka,Kansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 AM

6 posts, read 18,637 times
how about preisdent obama as a black role model--- there are alot of blacks who sell crack though--- if i was black I would be hitting the books, education is a way out of poverty

Old 12-02-2008, 10:56 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,465,316 times
The same values that are good for white youth, Asian youth and Indian youth are good for black youth: personal responsibility, welcoming ideological and cultural diversity, valuing education, a powerful work ethic and a sense of service to the community (not just one's one ethnic community, but the community of humanity). I look at the football players of my alma mater who made a rap CD and donated the proceeds to a charity that takes professional photos of gravely ill children for their parents to have as memories of one they will (most likely) lose, and I see good men. They happen to be good black men, but I'm thinking of them first as fellow alumni and outstanding men, people I'd like to know and work with and have as neighbors. Their example is an omnichromatic, silencing rejoinder to those who don't believe hip-hop can be positive.

If the Black Panthers are promoting those values, then they're probably helping. If however the focus is mainly on (my phrase as I have heard it used, not used by the OP) 'helping one's black brother', there's risk in that, because it can imply that a non-black can't be one's brother. That always struck me as divisive and counterproductive. I think you gain more brotherhood by accepting quality people of any heritage as a brother (in the basic sense, not the modern ethno-specific sense). People who aren't open to that--well, in my race (white), we call those people the KKK, and the overwhelming majority of us despise them as hateful idiots. No one should emulate any part of their example.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:56 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
The same values that are good for white youth, Asian youth and Indian youth are good for black youth: personal responsibility, welcoming ideological and cultural diversity, valuing education, a powerful work ethic and a sense of service to the community (not just one's one ethnic community, but the community of humanity). I look at the football players of my alma mater who made a rap CD and donated the proceeds to a charity that takes professional photos of gravely ill children for their parents to have as memories of one they will (most likely) lose, and I see good men. They happen to be good black men, but I'm thinking of them first as fellow alumni and outstanding men, people I'd like to know and work with and have as neighbors. Their example is an omnichromatic, silencing rejoinder to those who don't believe hip-hop can be positive.

If the Black Panthers are promoting those values, then they're probably helping. If however the focus is mainly on (my phrase as I have heard it used, not used by the OP) 'helping one's black brother', there's risk in that, because it can imply that a non-black can't be one's brother. That always struck me as divisive and counterproductive. I think you gain more brotherhood by accepting quality people of any heritage as a brother (in the basic sense, not the modern ethno-specific sense). People who aren't open to that--well, in my race (white), we call those people the KKK, and the overwhelming majority of us despise them as hateful idiots. No one should emulate any part of their example.
Good stuff, man. I don't know if the KKK is the only example of extremist behavior in terms of race, but I get your point.

I agree with what you are saying, but I think many people are just flat out selfish nowadays and if Black people wait for others to "be down with them or the cause to help Black youth", then you might be waiting too long and too late. So, I think it key to instill that within the community, regardless if others want to help or not. I'm not saying for others to stay away, but Black people can't wait for others to join along as well.

As for the Black Panthers, it depends on what aspects of the Panthers we are talking about. Are we talking about the free breakfasts and knowledge of Black culture Black Panthers or the "mainstream" view of the Panthers of being an extremist group? What's even more ironic is that there were Whites and Asians involved with the Black Panthers too, but you won't get that from the "mainstream" when it comes to the Panthers. Now there is a New Black Panther Party that is plain and simply extreme in their views and I don't think this new version would be a good idea for Black youth.

Here's some views and history on the BPP that might interest you:Veterans of the Civil Rights Movement -- Discussion: Whites in SNCC

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/g...asp?grpid=7375

Black Panther Party

A Brief History Of The Black Panther Party

The Black Panther Party

and an example of the "new" version that you would not want to emulate(in my opinion):New Panthers' war on whites | Philadelphia Daily News | 10/29/2008 (http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/33491864.html - broken link)

and more about people of other races in the Black Panthers:Asian Panthers?: Race and Nationalism in Afro-Asian Political Activism in the 1960s (http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/1/1/3/9/3/p113932_index.html - broken link)

Richard Aoki: The Japanese Black Panther (Not your average Asian) - Assata Shakur Speaks - Hands Off Assata - Let's Get Free - Revolutionary - Pan-Africanism - Black On Purpose - Liberation - Forum

Black Panther Party (read the third paragraph)

So, it depends on what aspects you want to display to the youth, man.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good stuff, man. I don't know if the KKK is the only example of extremist behavior in terms of race, but I get your point.

I agree with what you are saying, but I think many people are just flat out selfish nowadays and if Black people wait for others to "be down with them or the cause to help Black youth", then you might be waiting too long and too late. So, I think it key to instill that within the community, regardless if others want to help or not. I'm not saying for others to stay away, but Black people can't wait for others to join along as well.
It's definitely not the only example of extremist behavior, nor even the most dangerous one. You saw where I was going with that, though: the mentality that says 'I help only my own race' tends to be found in some pretty unsavory locations if we follow its tracks.

Nor do I disagree that a lot of people are pretty selfish. I figure it's always worthwhile helping out where you're at. I live in an overwhelmingly white area, but if I lived on the Hispanic side of this area I'd sure hope people wouldn't turn my help away--same if I lived in a predominantly black community. But a lot of it is perception, too, and right or wrong there are perceptions that need correcting, and some have a basis in history (for example, the town I live in used to be a sundown town; if black people even now don't want to live here, I can hardly blame them). And when we see a young white man give up his seat on the bus to an elderly black woman, I am betting that perceptions shift a bit to the good. Works just the same the other way.

So I guess--working my way back to the topic--I'm hoping that any movement designed to help black youth (and I don't think anyone can reasonably deny that many black youths are in a crisis situation) also teaches them that when they reach outside racial lines and offer kindness, they are helping their own group as well as whomever else. As for the BPP, I really don't know them well, but if they promote that, then good for them.

I'm still trying to gauge the impact of Obama's election in many ways, including this one. Will it provide hope and inspiration? Sure hope so, because a lot of people could use both. I read that he's issued strict instructions to the White House housekeeping people that his daughters are to make their own beds and do their chores. Best thing I have heard coming from that building in many years--and a good example of teaching personal responsibility.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:37 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
It's definitely not the only example of extremist behavior, nor even the most dangerous one. You saw where I was going with that, though: the mentality that says 'I help only my own race' tends to be found in some pretty unsavory locations if we follow its tracks.

Nor do I disagree that a lot of people are pretty selfish. I figure it's always worthwhile helping out where you're at. I live in an overwhelmingly white area, but if I lived on the Hispanic side of this area I'd sure hope people wouldn't turn my help away--same if I lived in a predominantly black community. But a lot of it is perception, too, and right or wrong there are perceptions that need correcting, and some have a basis in history (for example, the town I live in used to be a sundown town; if black people even now don't want to live here, I can hardly blame them). And when we see a young white man give up his seat on the bus to an elderly black woman, I am betting that perceptions shift a bit to the good. Works just the same the other way.

So I guess--working my way back to the topic--I'm hoping that any movement designed to help black youth (and I don't think anyone can reasonably deny that many black youths are in a crisis situation) also teaches them that when they reach outside racial lines and offer kindness, they are helping their own group as well as whomever else. As for the BPP, I really don't know them well, but if they promote that, then good for them.

I'm still trying to gauge the impact of Obama's election in many ways, including this one. Will it provide hope and inspiration? Sure hope so, because a lot of people could use both. I read that he's issued strict instructions to the White House housekeeping people that his daughters are to make their own beds and do their chores. Best thing I have heard coming from that building in many years--and a good example of teaching personal responsibility.
I agree with that last paragraph. It is good to hear things like that from the President in regards to his children.

I wonder how things are in Pasco, considering that is the closest city to you with a decent Black community, along with a very big Mexican community too? Some Native Americans too. It's somewhat like that in both Richland and Kennewick, but there still is a presence of all of those groups there too.

I also think there needs to be a lot of attention given to Black males and even males in general too. I think some are left behind due to the big breakdown of the family structure in the community and really the nation in general. 1 out of 3 kids live in a single parent home in this country. That is high and with out of wedlock births and a very high divorce rate, along with most children being with their mothers, I think there needs to be more emaphasis on young males. Some communities need more emaphasis than others, but it needs to be addressed along all racial/ethnic groups. I think that is a huge key in terms of success.

I should also say that stats can be challeneged, as there are step fathers in homes, but they still will consider those homes as being single parent, among multiple factors. With that said, it is something that just needs to be addressed.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM

Pasco actually works quite well from a diversity standpoint, and it's kind of a point of local pride. It's a fairly blue-collar town. If any part of Pasco is in crisis, it would be the young Latinos drawn into gang activity. There are towns up the Yakima Valley (not far from us) where that crisis is big time.

Liked your point about the male crisis going beyond racial lines. Growing up male and going off to college and reaching middle age, I've heard a great deal about why my gender is worthless. Any young black male is getting a lot more of that from all sides, I think. It's not conducive to building pride, nor in teaching one how to be a good man. The only way I know to help with that is through good role models. I was watching Snoop Dogg's Father Hood the other day and I saw a good example of that. His son was slacking on football camp and Snoop was not having it--but not only was Snoop making the point, so were other men with a lot of credibility.

If anyone can step up in Kansas, it's Gale Sayers. I'm told he currently lives in Chicago, but he is both an outstanding man and a Kansas icon of the first magnitude, from Wichita. All class. For all I know he may already be doing something on a regular basis back home, as he's that kind of man. My cousins from Wichita tell me that the town is just about completely segregated, which I think is always a negative because separation breeds distrust through lack of understanding.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:25 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times
Publisher Lewis Gates [?] recently published a large volume on outstanding persons of color who helped shape America starting with the first African slave to set foot on North American soil in the 16th century. He brought the knowledge for the cure of a deadly disease that was used in his owne village with him. Absent this fellow, none of us might be here today. It would probably behoove all of us to read it. No sports figures or entertainers are mentioned; it's serious reading of a serious subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas