Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 PM
PPJ PPJ started this thread

3 posts, read 55,334 times

Advertisements

I'm doing research on the filming of the 1955 movie "Picnic", and will be travelling to the cities of Hutchinson, Halstead, Nickerson, Salina, and Sterling, where location shoots took place. Can anyone local provide exact locations where I might begin (ie: street names, intersections, neighborhoods, etc.) ? Although it's been over 50 years since the filming took place, I'm hoping someone can share some details. I do plan to visit Riverside Park in Halstead and the grain elevators in Hutchinson. I plan to start with Nickerson first but want to visit all of the towns. Any info would sure be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 01:55 AM

21 posts, read 93,515 times
I couldnt give you any information, but I would say that you should try the hutchinson newspaper, Im sure someone there would be able to help you out with some archival information. They are very friendly helpful people. They have a website and The Hutchinson News Online Edition Good Luck!

Old 07-19-2008, 11:28 PM

Default Thank you Ashleyrw88

I will do just that...sounds like a good place to start! Many thanks.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 18,420 times
The Chamber of Commerce in Halstead will give you all you need.....and then some. on second thought you may be better off at the city library, Enough said. I've lived in Halstead for 11 years and believe me if you let them the people that promote that burg will drive you nuts with B.S. about that movie.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:10 PM

Default Thank you medicguy231

Sounds like the Halstead Chamber of Commerce is really proud of their history, so hopefully they will have a treasure trove of trivia! And I'll visit the library there, too. Thanks again for the information.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 16,087 times
To: PPJ

I am also looking for info about Picnic locations. How did you do in 2008? I understand that the heroine's neighborhood was in Nickerson. Is that true? If so, does it still look the same?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 15,880 times
My in-laws lived at 411 Peabody when the movie was filmed. Their home was used in the movie.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 15,486 times
the waterfall still exists behind the community theater in Salina, KS

Old 09-19-2010, 08:52 PM

106 posts, read 581,251 times
Independence, Kansas, is where the writer of Picnic (William Inge) was born and raised....the town was quite upset it was not chosen as the location for the film! But Independence does have a history museum with a good display about William Inge and Picnic, and the college library there actually has a collection of all his typed out manuscripts and other things he owned. Also, the house where he grew up is still there, and this house has a front porch and is EXACTLY what you envision when you see "Picnic"!

And there is a waterfall on the river not far from the house, at the end of a dirt road....there is also a big city park, like the one in Picnic....

Old 09-14-2011, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 12,722 times
Default 1955 movie "Picnic" locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPJ View Post
I'm doing research on the filming of the 1955 movie "Picnic", and will be travelling to the cities of Hutchinson, Halstead, Nickerson, Salina, and Sterling, where location shoots took place. Can anyone local provide exact locations where I might begin (ie: street names, intersections, neighborhoods, etc.) ? Although it's been over 50 years since the filming took place, I'm hoping someone can share some details. I do plan to visit Riverside Park in Halstead and the grain elevators in Hutchinson. I plan to start with Nickerson first but want to visit all of the towns. Any info would sure be appreciated.
PPJ: I would really like to know the results of you research of the filming locations of the movie Picnic, especially the town of Nickserson, Ks. I have been trying to locate the house where Madge (Kim Novak) lived. Someone wrote that it was 411 Peabody. I VPiked that address and the house looks like it, but it lacks a lot of the characteristics (rails surrounding the porch, gables, etc.) I noticed in one of the scenes from the movie, that the address is "211", but the street is unknown. I would sure appreciate a response. Here's hoping to hear from you. Bill Runge, wrunge7@aol.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas