Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:46 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,624 times

Advertisements

I always here about Centre College and UK you might like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 724 times
Very interesting thread but quite old: 2006. It would be wonderful to hear how things have progressed, changed in the area. I am also looking for smaller but relatively progressive towns where i can move to with my two kids who are fast approaching the university age. We are in super expensive Northern California and need to plan an escape.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:09 PM

811 posts, read 888,408 times
Keep in mind that Kentucky progressiveness is going to be verrryy different than progressiveness found on the coasts and the North/Midwest. Kentucky is not a diverse state and is mostly Red and conservative outside it’s urban areas.

I find Louisville to be the most progressive city and area of the State, a lot like St. Louis and Indianapolis. Lexington is also progressive, but again, progressive by Kentucky standards and Lex also has a traditional Appalachian subculture that is noticeable in the city.

As for the small towns, and this is my opinion, nothing progressive about them, especially if you ever plan to leave the campus. This is not a complaint on Kentucky, I love the commonwealth, but just want newcomers to understand that it’s not as progressive as some posters have made it out to be.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:00 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityToBe View Post
Very interesting thread but quite old: 2006. It would be wonderful to hear how things have progressed, changed in the area. I am also looking for smaller but relatively progressive towns where i can move to with my two kids who are fast approaching the university age. We are in super expensive Northern California and need to plan an escape.
My recommendation is Yellow Springs, Ohio. It's a very small, very progressive (similar to SF) area that is also a college town, and you're nearby to the city of Dayton. Dave Chappelle actually lives there too, and from what my former coworkers who are intimately familiar with that area told me, he is a very active citizen there.

The next best would be Bloomington, Indiana, home of Indiana University, the #1 public undergrad business school in the country. It's much larger than Yellow Springs, but still not over 150,000 people (even when students are in town). It has a ton of ethnic food options and a mostly progressive area, but like Lexington, borders very poor rural towns where the people living there have to commute to Bloomington for work, so there's a bit of that dichotomy going on.

I agree with KY_Transplant - I am a Louisville native, but I moved back to Louisville in Jan 2016 from San Francisco, and even though Louisville is the most progressive city in the state, it still was a tremendous culture difference from living in the SF Bay Area for 2 years and being away from Louisville from 20 years.

The only KY small town that might fit the bill is Danville, home to Centre College, but it still leans red overall.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:49 AM

14,772 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Berea!
..if you are looking for the small town feel.

Liberal for Kentucky, but it is all relevant, Kentucky overall is really conservative.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:58 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Berea!
..if you are looking for the small town feel.

Liberal for Kentucky, but it is all relevant, Kentucky overall is really conservative.
Berea is delightful and Berea College is outstanding, but is extremely selective - if you want your kids to go there, start planning now and make sure they meet the very high standards for admission.

Also, if your family income is more than modest, they may not be eligible, as Berea caters to bright kids, many of whom are from Appalachia, whose families could not otherwise afford to send them to college. Berea does not charge tuition - instead, the college has a large endowment, and all students are required to work at least ten hours a week. Books, dorm housing and meal cards are not free, however.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:26 AM

53 posts, read 94,555 times
We moved from Connecticut a few years ago. Expect property tax savings but beyond that, not much difference. I know in the Lexington area there is little price competition among restaurants or grocery stores. While schools and municipal services are fine, they are not at the same level as MA.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:08 PM

29 posts, read 58,748 times
Bowling Green

Old 07-14-2018, 08:09 PM

29 posts, read 58,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave dave View Post
We moved from Connecticut a few years ago. Expect property tax savings but beyond that, not much difference. I know in the Lexington area there is little price competition among restaurants or grocery stores. While schools and municipal services are fine, they are not at the same level as MA.
I moved here from CT as well because it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to live here and the winters are very mild compared to up north.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:25 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf445 View Post
Bowling Green
Speaking of beautiful Bowling Green: If any Kentuckians or other American citizens feel inclined to call Kentucky Senator Rand Paul this evening, his Lexington office line is continually busy for some reason - but you can probably still leave a message at his Bowling Green office: 270-782-8303. The office is closed, but you can leave a pretty long message if you care to do so. And if you leave your name, a phone number and zip code, your call should even go into the Congressional Record; isn't that cool?? They'll ask you for your full address, but you really don't need to provide it unless you want to. My advice would be to skip it and save time for more comments on the tape..

You can let Senator Paul know just how much you value his service and how much you love our country, specifically beautiful state and its people, which he was elected to represent, ask him a few questions about his D.C. buddies, and let him know how you feel about he's doing in D.C., as well as how you feel about what he's likely to be doing on at least his upcoming international trip.

I just did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky