Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 12:49 PM

26 posts, read 46,591 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! I know these probably get old, but I have moved so much in the past few years and I want to get it right this time.

I'm a single 20-something female, who will be starting work in Robards, KY soon-ish (I'm really not sure. 3-4 weeks I would imagine).

I have already been told, very clearly, that I do not want to live in Robards. I would like to find a clean rural area, with just the necessities in the immediate area.

I am currently in the area house hunting. Any advice?

And thank you all!

Last edited by Wowie; 11-04-2014 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Grammar, because mobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 04:08 PM

After spending the day around Henderson, Zion (I think) seems like the perfect location. Any similar areas around Owensboro, Sebree, etc?

Old 11-06-2014, 05:51 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,515 times
Welcome to KY! I apologize for not having any info about the area you are focused on, but I'm sure you will love KY!! Best of luck to you!

Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Have you checked out Sebree or Poole? Webster County has some nice rural towns but you can get to Robards pretty quick from those two towns. From Poole you take US 41-Alternate to Ky. 416. Or from Sebree take US 41 to 416, on the other end.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:23 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,245,706 times
I've never been to Robards Kentucky, at least not that I remember, but I am familiar with the east side of Henderson County ( Curdsville, Spottsville etc.. ) somewhat as I have LOT'S of family over in neighboring Daviess County. Can you tell us a bit more about yourself and what you like and are looking for in an area and a place to live?

There is a user here who is from Webster county, Dixon or Providence Kentucky area, which is just to the south of there. They'll be able to tell you alot about Webster county but it's also a nice area, I've been down there before but not in some years.

The nice thing about Henderson County is it's just a hop-skip-and a jump over to neighboring Evansville Indiana ( which is where I bought the boots that I am currently wearing as we speak ) and also Owensboro.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:55 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I worked a lot in Webster County. Lived in Union County (Morganfield and Sturgis) for over 30 years and worked for the state highway department for 26, working a lot in surrounding counties, including Webster and Henderson. You could still live in the county seat of Dixon and won't be too far from Robards. Providence is in Webster County, but a pretty good drive to work. It's just a mile from the Webster/Hopkins Co. line. The Robards claim to fame came when then President Carter ran for reelection and had a big fund raiser at the Sights farm outside of Robards.
Evansville, In., is one of those places where "it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Evansville is kind of the shopping "hub" for the local tri state area (Ky, Ill., Ind).

Old 11-06-2014, 01:11 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,245,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I worked a lot in Webster County. Lived in Union County (Morganfield and Sturgis) for over 30 years and worked for the state highway department for 26, working a lot in surrounding counties, including Webster and Henderson. You could still live in the county seat of Dixon and won't be too far from Robards. Providence is in Webster County, but a pretty good drive to work. It's just a mile from the Webster/Hopkins Co. line. The Robards claim to fame came when then President Carter ran for reelection and had a big fund raiser at the Sights farm outside of Robards.
Evansville, In., is one of those places where "it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Evansville is kind of the shopping "hub" for the local tri state area (Ky, Ill., Ind).
Yeah, the boots I have on right now, I bought these at the mall there in Evansville last time I was in western Kentucky visiting family LOL. I agree, I don't like Evansville much for living either, but, like I said, if you want do shopping and all that kinds of stuff, it would be the closest place to go if you're going to locate to that area proper.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Can you tell us a bit more about yourself and what you like and are looking for in an area and a place to live?

Thanks for your response! I'm originally from Georgia, and lived in a small unincorporated community. However, I moved to Missouri, then Tennessee for work. Both moves resulted in me sucking it up and settling for a house in town. This last time, my house was broken into, my neighbors would comment when I was gone longer than a day or two from home, and I just realize now I am ready, after four years, to get back to a small town, get me a dog, and live how I used to. (Is that as selfish as the realtors around here make it sound?)

I'm pretty quiet - I cook at home, I do like going to the gym, so one nearby would be nice; I would like an area that has a shopping hub like Evansville close by for when family comes to visit; And the dog - that's important. A soon-to-be-big Bloodhound (I don't think the town folk would like her baying, anyway).

Being on the outskirts of a town is fine. I just want to be able to walk in my backyard and not feel like the whole world knows what I'm doing.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I worked a lot in Webster County. Lived in Union County (Morganfield and Sturgis) for over 30 years and worked for the state highway department for 26, working a lot in surrounding counties, including Webster and Henderson. You could still live in the county seat of Dixon and won't be too far from Robards. Providence is in Webster County, but a pretty good drive to work.

Thank you! Work is actually closer to Sebree now that I've had a chance to visit. Its closer to Exit 63 than Exit 68. This gives me a few more places to look - I appreciate it!

Old 11-06-2014, 08:15 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
If you want a rural place to live, I can think of no better place in all the world than the 10 miles surrounding Robards Kentucky. It's a wonderful community of great people. It's the people. They are good. Nothing special, nothing amazing, but just good, decent folks working to get ahead. Yes, there will be some bums and less than ideal, but as a group, they are some of the best.
You might ask how I know. Fair enough. I was raised in McLean County and I lived and owned a business in Henderson and drove through Robards many times as I did my business or went to see my family who lived in Calhoun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky