Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 10:56 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times

Advertisements

OP = "Carson is racist towards Arabs...Islamophobic too."

and

"Cruz or any of those Texans when they would gladly stone you to death if they could."

Does anyone (other than the OP) really believe that Cruz and Texans would actually stone gays to death?

Carson said "I would have problems with somebody who embraced all the doctrines associated with Islam," Carson said. "If they are not willing to reject sharia and all the portions of it that are talked about in the Quran -- if they are not willing to reject that, and subject that to American values and the Constitution"

One might think that the OP should be at least a little "Islamophobic":

Quote:
Today in most of the Islamic world homosexuality is not socially or legally accepted. In some of these countries, Afghanistan, Brunei, Iran, Mauritania, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Sudan and Yemen, homosexual activity carries the death penalty
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_in_Islam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 06:58 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
OP = "Carson is racist towards Arabs...Islamophobic too."

and

"Cruz or any of those Texans when they would gladly stone you to death if they could."

Does anyone (other than the OP) really believe that Cruz and Texans would actually stone gays to death?

Carson said "I would have problems with somebody who embraced all the doctrines associated with Islam," Carson said. "If they are not willing to reject sharia and all the portions of it that are talked about in the Quran -- if they are not willing to reject that, and subject that to American values and the Constitution"

One might think that the OP should be at least a little "Islamophobic":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_in_Islam
To the OP, I have lived here most of my life. I haven't seen any gays put in jail or stoned. No more than st8s. Have you been to Austin, Montrose area of Houston, Oaklawn in Dallas? No, I am NOT a single issue voter. Because of Obamacare , I am loosing my second doctor, my stock portfolio is going nowhere, Relatives can't get CAREER jobs because companies don't want to mess with all the restrictions placed on them. We are not any more respected in the world now because of BHO. Sorry, our senators are standing up against this kind of heavy handed govt. I have had to dodge on the highway illegals coming across the Rio Grande and don't need to be lectured about their plight, PLEASE!! Yes, I believe in SS marriage but that is not the MOST important and only thing this country has to face. BTW, I trust you have heard of Log Cabin Republicans. OP, have a nice day.... "the sun will come out, tomorrow...."

Last edited by Rogarven; 11-05-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 11-05-2015, 09:05 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
What nasty lefties you people reveal yourselves to be. Thankfully, the good people of Kentucky have spoken.

Well said, I was just listening to Gov. Elect Matt Biven, whom I have rooted for since he ran for senate and was cut off at the knees by Rand Paul and his endorsement of McConnell.

Anyway, what an admirable woman you folks elected as Lt. Gov.! Well done KY!! Well done!

Old 11-05-2015, 10:28 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,706,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
To the OP, I have lived here most of my life. I haven't seen any gays put in jail or stoned. No more than st8s. Have you been to Austin, Montrose area of Houston, Oaklawn in Dallas? No, I am NOT a single issue voter. Because of Obamacare , I am loosing my second doctor, my stock portfolio is going nowhere, Relatives can't get CAREER jobs because companies don't want to mess with all the restrictions placed on them. We are not any more respected in the world now because of BHO. Sorry, our senators are standing up against this kind of heavy handed govt. I have had to dodge on the highway illegals coming across the Rio Grande and don't need to be lectured about their plight, PLEASE!! Yes, I believe in SS marriage but that is not the MOST important and only thing this country has to face. BTW, I trust you have heard of Log Cabin Republicans. OP, have a nice day.... "the sun will come out, tomorrow...."
And this is why I don't feel bad for Kentucky. Let them be Kansas part II.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:41 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
I always find it ironic that those on the left pride themselves as being tolerant and open minded, yet they are always the first to name call, demean, and try to shut down anyone with an opposing point of view anyway they can. That's what I love about liberals. They just can't fool anyone anymore no matter how hard they try.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:06 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,774 times
When did I ever say I was tolerant of conservatives? I despise the Republican Party and everything it stands for, and I don't see any reason to pretend otherwise or try to hide it.

And please spare us your typical, puerile conservative whining about evil liberals "trying to shut you down." I know it sounds really exciting and emotionally satisfying when Rush says it on the radio, but there's not a single example in here of anyone "trying to shut down anyone with an opposing point of view." What we are doing is arguing and disagreeing with you. The fact that you're incapable of distinguishing the difference speaks volumes about your own tolerance of opposing points of view - you're incapable of handling any disagreement without complaining that you're being "shut down." You're free to disagree right back if you like, and if you think you can make some sort of argument that's more rational and substantive than "oh, no, liberals are such meanies."

Old 11-05-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
My wife and I are moving to KY soon from San Francisco, and we experienced the super leftists for the last 2 years. We're moderates. It is awful. Super right wingers aren't any better though because neither has an open mind.

I don't think it's right to defund PP, but I personally am not affected by it. I don't think taking away the healthcare that people, including my brother just received and count on in the state is right, but I'm personally not affected by it directly.

"First, they came for the communists, but I did not speak up because I am not a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists, but I said nothing because I am not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews... but I did not speak out, because I am not a Jew.

Then they came for me - and there was no one left to speak for me."

Come on ahead then, if you think it doesn't matter because you'll still be able to afford cable and get good health insurance. But keep this in mind - even though these issues may not directly affect you or your family (at least, not yet) they do tell you an awful lot about the priorities, the social climate, and the way things are done in the state to which you are moving. If you're smart, you'll read between the lines and figure out that for every one of these issues that make the headlines, there are a hundred more just like it that slide by under the radar, and the cumulative effect of all those backwards, shortsighted, "screw them I'm only in it for myself" policy decisions add up to make Kentucky one of the most primitive and backwards states in the Union.

Welcome to the South. I hope it's the paradise you're expecting it to be, but don't be shocked if after you've been here a while you start to realize there were a few things you hadn't fully considered.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:24 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Trust me. SF is entirely different. I'm from LA and hated SF for its liberal elitism. It's a different type of liberalism than SoCal or Louisville or Chicago or NYC liberal. I have many friends in KY who are not liberal and we get along fine. We have discussions relating to gun control, abortion, and more. However, the only reason I just stated that in my last post is because I cannot and will not support anyone who votes for politicians who would do anything in their power to strip me of my equal rights. That I will never support. Cruz is a politicians just waiting for the opportunity to make gays second class citizens...even more so than we already are. I know my friends are supportive of giving gays all the rights afforded to heterosexuals. If they wish to vote different on abortion and gun control, fine. Some legitimately see abortion as murder. I don't, but whatever. But voting for a politician who promises to make your friend's life (me) less equal and meaningful? That crosses a line with me.

Besides that, yes, Bevin's entire campaign was run on taking people's health insurance away, defunding PP, and helping out Kim Davis. I understand that those things don't directly affect you. Besides Kim Davis, the rest don't affect me either. But I vote for politicians who have everyone's best interests in mind. Someone willing to defund PP AND health insurance for people is just evil. First off, PP in KY doesn't even perform abortions...

But allowing everyone to buy health insurance in the long run leads to a more prosperous nation. It keeps people out of poverty. It keeps them healthy to guarantee a long working life. I don't see how any sane person could vote AGAINST allowing people to have health insurance. It should not be a privilege. It should be a basic human right.

We all know that 20% will come disproportionately from education. Republicans always strip away education first. That's exactly what happened in CA under Arnold and the state and is still suffering from it. Meanwhile, Bevin is a millionaire and will inevitably give himself and his buddies tax cuts while laying off teachers. It's so obvious that Republicans do this every.single.time. I don't see how people don't see through this yet. But I guess when you keep cutting education and keep people stupid, they'll never learn history.
Oh, I know it's different in SF now. I've lived in many places myself, and never have I experienced a city where everyone had their hands out, including the many many homeless and the artsy/hippy/older people. They seriously belong in France, not in the US. It's the filthiest city I've ever been to, and I'm not proud to say I live here, even though my wife has had a huge boost to her career as a result of our move.

Unless you live in Rowan County, the Davis thing really doesn't affect you either. You can still get a marriage license in your home county easily. Yeah, I'm sure it doesn't feel great to have to deal with that nonsense, but she's one idiot in a small county that the media blew up because they need eyeballs to pay the bills.

I'm going to withhold judgment on Bevin, for one because I am not yet again a KY resident (will likely be back next month or Jan) and couldn't vote in that election, and two, because he specifically mentions education failures on his website under his campaign promises. He might not have talked about it in commercials, but cutting education in KY is kind of an oxymoron - grade schooling in KY has never been even near the middle of the pack of the US, let alone above it. I am a product of JCPS in Louisville and I turned out alright. Yeah, I very much dislike his social stances, I'm pro-choice, anti-religion, and pro-equal rights, but I don't believe those social issues amount to much when it comes to the success of the state overall. If he makes the state more business-friendly as he claims he will, then it will bring jobs, which is what most everyone wants more than anything.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
This. I know I should but having a hard time feeling bad for Kentucky. Look what happened to Kansas and they elected him TWICE. If these people lose their health insurance, they can look in the mirror for who to blame. Bevin has said with clarity that he will be getting rid of Kynect. He wants to pay Kim Davis $80K a year to not do her job. A guy that runs on taking away health care from people wins with 8% margin? Kentucky deserves what's coming.
I don't feel badly for the state as a whole, but the problem is, there are some damned good people living here who deserve a hell of a lot better than what their government gives them. The entire Eastern half (or maybe third) of the state is crippled by crushing poverty and third-world health care and education because they don't have a strong enough political voice to stand up to latter day robber barons like Bevin and his co-conspirators.

Kentucky is one of the most corrupt states in the nation, and one aspect of that corruption is the way the political system is rigged to keep the wealthy in power and the poor as poor, powerless, and uneducated as possible. For a few years there, it was actually starting to look as though Kentucky had found a path that would lead them to the 20th Century, and maybe even someday the 21st, but that hope was destroyed Tuesday night. Yes, it's easy to say Kentucky got what it deserved, but think of the 5-year old children who didn't get a chance to vote, but will grow up with terrible education and substandard health care because people who are old enough that they should know better were too ignorant to vote in their own best interests. The children don't deserve this at all - they deserved much, much better.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:39 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
Hmm. Which party has controlled Kentucky's Executive and Legislative branches for most of the Commonwealth's history (and therefore is accountable for "the state [being] crippled by crushing poverty and third-world health care and education")? Think about the children and give the Republicans a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky