Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:36 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It really does and it's sad that there will be people really hurt by this but they do it because they can. They do it because they know not enough will make the effort to vote. When they don't have health coverage, they'll wish they had voted.
No, then they'll blame Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Wow, I think it's really sad you think this way because I'm not any of the things you mention. BTW, Republicans championed civil rights while southern democrats opposed them and the KKK was founded by democrats right after the civil war. I'm also a gay male, but I don't define myself as only that. It's a shame you need to label everyone as this or that or the other. If you think someone needs to be a democrat in order to care about other people and make this world better, then I don't know what else to say except that's simply not the case and I hope someday, you will have a more open mind.
I'm sorry but if people don't realize that Republicans and Democrats of the 1800s, or even mid-1900s, have NOTHING to do with today's parties, they need to go to school.

Remember, Ronnie Reagan, Jesse Helms, and Strom Thurmond were Democrats until the 1960s. Does that mean they should be compared to today's Democratic party?

Claiming that because Republicans 8 generations ago were abolitionists makes that party non-racist in 2015 is just, well, laughable.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:44 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I'm sorry but if people don't realize that Republicans and Democrats of the 1800s, or even mid-1900s, have NOTHING to do with today's parties, they need to go to school.

Remember, Ronnie Reagan, Jesse Helms, and Strom Thurmond were Democrats until the 1960s. Does that mean they should be compared to today's Democratic party?

Claiming that because Republicans 8 generations ago were abolitionists makes that party non-racist in 2015 is just, well, laughable.
When you cut education funding, this is what happens...

Quote:
No, then they'll blame Obama.
Everything is Obama's fault or Clinton's fault. Republicans blame Obama and Clinton for everything and will never take responsibility for Bush. His 8 years did nothing wrong. I'll be the first to say I don't LOVE everything that Obama did/does. And there were some things that Bush did okay. But Republicans seem to put blinder on when discussing the fact that Bush was president for 8 years and just blame everything on Clinton and Obama.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:17 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
You don't have to choose between business friendly / low taxes and being socially progressive. Washington state is bottom 5 in tax burden and a model of social liberalism. Colorado and Oregon do well too.

I'd like to see tax reform tied to worker pay and benefits at the federal level. If you pay your lowest employees at least $12 an hour with insurance and ample sick time you pay no corporate tax. If you pay your workers so little that most of them are eligible for welfare then you pay higher than the current rate. Govt should not subsidize business who pay too little like Wal Mart (though they are thankfully voluntarily raising wages)

Places are in competition for jobs, like it or not. And tax structure is the main issue. It's why boring places like Sioux Falls and Indianapolis are outgrowing better cities.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:44 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
You don't have to choose between business friendly / low taxes and being socially progressive. Washington state is bottom 5 in tax burden and a model of social liberalism. Colorado and Oregon do well too.

I'd like to see tax reform tied to worker pay and benefits at the federal level. If you pay your lowest employees at least $12 an hour with insurance and ample sick time you pay no corporate tax. If you pay your workers so little that most of them are eligible for welfare then you pay higher than the current rate. Govt should not subsidize business who pay too little like Wal Mart (though they are thankfully voluntarily raising wages)

Places are in competition for jobs, like it or not. And tax structure is the main issue. It's why boring places like Sioux Falls and Indianapolis are outgrowing better cities.
Bingo. I lived in Indy for 8 years. There's no way businesses should be moving there over Louisville, but they are because it's a better state for a business to operate in, both for blue and white collar jobs.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I don't think it's right to defund PP, but I personally am not affected by it. I don't think taking away the healthcare that people, including my brother just received and count on in the state is right, but I'm personally not affected by it directly.
I certainly hope that people relegate things to "I'm not personally affected by it, so I don't care what happens"--that's how we get in these situations. No minority would ever have gained traction in social justice without people who were not "affected by it" taking an interest and working to right a wrong.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:07 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
I certainly hope that people relegate things to "I'm not personally affected by it, so I don't care what happens"--that's how we get in these situations. No minority would ever have gained traction in social justice without people who were not "affected by it" taking an interest and working to right a wrong.
And with PP, everyone IS affected by it anyways. Unwanted children end up in foster care and are more prone to become criminals. Poor families who do end up taking care of the child receive more government assistance. Would you rather pay for an abortion or government assistance programs until that child turns 18? PP also provides STD checks. If someone didn't have a place to go for STD checkups and contracted an STD, they become a public health risk basically. If someone is married, it's less serious, but spouses do cheat and could contract the STD. Or family members and friends who are not in relationships. With your brother having his healthcare taken away, it doesn't directly affect you, but it possibly can. If he gets really sick one day and can't afford to take care of himself, would you really sit back and let him die, or would you pitch in and help with his medical costs? And by taking away the health insurance of hundreds of thousands of people, those people will be going back to ERs again, getting free treatment that tax payers end up paying for anyways, but this time at a higher cost since it's through an ER and not a GP or some other doctor. And if you've ever been injured badly and needed to go to an ER, you'd know how long ER visits can take. People with ailments that don't require ER visits take up time at ERs since they can't see a doctor. A few weeks ago, I sliced my thumb open really badly and called a few ERs around me. All had estimated over hour waits. Meanwhile, my thumb is gushing blood out and I managed to get it covered and stopped with a paper towel. Ended up driving to UofL campus health center and I couldn't be more thankful to be a student at that time. I guarantee if you had gone to the ER there would have been more than a few people with slight coughs or headaches or something that doesn't require ER treatment. Also happened to me living in LA. Had a nose bleed that wouldn't stop for 2 hours. By the time I was seen, it had stopped and I was woozy from all the blood loss in the waiting room. Meanwhile, the other people there seemed to just have slight coughs or colds. That was a while ago though. But now with even more people losing their health insurance, and therefore access to a doctor, even more people will be crowding ERs and delaying medically necessary care for others.

So yes, these things might not affect you DIRECTLY, but they can and will indirectly affect your life in one way or another.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:45 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Exactly.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:52 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,066 times
Quote:

The Millennial generation...and yes, I have big shoulders and will take my part of the blame, or credit, however you want look at it. But, at the same time everyone of a mature age must take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:48 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times
Quote:
Did you forget a word in here, or are you actually saying that you wish there were more people that didn't care about social justice and minorities?

You're putting words in my mouth. I never said "so I don't care what happens". I don't live in the state yet and thus couldn't do anything about the current election ourselves, so I can only accept what has occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431
And with PP, everyone IS affected by it anyways. Unwanted children end up in foster care and are more prone to become criminals. Poor families who do end up taking care of the child receive more government assistance. Would you rather pay for an abortion or government assistance programs until that child turns 18? PP also provides STD checks. If someone didn't have a place to go for STD checkups and contracted an STD, they become a public health risk basically. If someone is married, it's less serious, but spouses do cheat and could contract the STD. Or family members and friends who are not in relationships. With your brother having his healthcare taken away, it doesn't directly affect you, but it possibly can. If he gets really sick one day and can't afford to take care of himself, would you really sit back and let him die, or would you pitch in and help with his medical costs? And by taking away the health insurance of hundreds of thousands of people, those people will be going back to ERs again, getting free treatment that tax payers end up paying for anyways, but this time at a higher cost since it's through an ER and not a GP or some other doctor. And if you've ever been injured badly and needed to go to an ER, you'd know how long ER visits can take. People with ailments that don't require ER visits take up time at ERs since they can't see a doctor. A few weeks ago, I sliced my thumb open really badly and called a few ERs around me. All had estimated over hour waits. Meanwhile, my thumb is gushing blood out and I managed to get it covered and stopped with a paper towel. Ended up driving to UofL campus health center and I couldn't be more thankful to be a student at that time. I guarantee if you had gone to the ER there would have been more than a few people with slight coughs or headaches or something that doesn't require ER treatment. Also happened to me living in LA. Had a nose bleed that wouldn't stop for 2 hours. By the time I was seen, it had stopped and I was woozy from all the blood loss in the waiting room. Meanwhile, the other people there seemed to just have slight coughs or colds. That was a while ago though. But now with even more people losing their health insurance, and therefore access to a doctor, even more people will be crowding ERs and delaying medically necessary care for others.

So yes, these things might not affect you DIRECTLY, but they can and will indirectly affect your life in one way or another.
That's all speculation, and that indirect relationship you mention is mere pennies per person. So, yeah it affects you a little bit, but not enough to be meaningful. There are ways to skip the queue at a hospital, and when my wife and I have gone, we've gotten right in. It's not a money thing either.

I forgot that my brother just got a new job anyhow and now has paid health benefits, so the point is moot now. However, in the past even before he got those benefits and had no health insurance, my family didn't help him out. He made choices that got him to that point. Nobody is letting him die, but he has to deal with financial consequences. I am helping him get out of debt and teaching him some things that he can use to make more money. I don't give financial handouts to family or otherwise. This is the part that makes me less liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky