Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 07:23 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Don't take it personal. I am not spreading mis-information. Lexington is a small city and has less jobs to go around compared to NKY and Louisville. Anecdotally, one can go onto Indeed.com and see the actual number of entry level, basic jobs one can find on a search, to be far less when compared to it's neighbors to the West and North. If someone was looking for a strong, healthy job market, I would not recommend Lexington, KY when there are better options in Cincinnati and Louisville.

OP, I have hardly noticed any gun-toting rednecks in NKY. NKY is pretty much just an extension of Ohio. Most NKY residents consider themselves Cincinnatans first, Kentuckians second and some residents don't want to be associated with Kentucky at all, other than the fact their license plate says Kentucky. NKY is a influential area of the State and it is a direct result of being in proximity to Cincinnati, a major American city with Fortune 500 companies and a strong economy. I would pick Cincinnati/NKY first, then Louisville, then Bowling Green and finally Lexington, if I were looking for the things you listed.
I'm just curious. When you say NKY, are you referring to the most northern tip of KY just across the river from Cincinnati? Also, if these people dislike KY so much, consider themselves Cincinnatans first, why don't they live in Cincinnati? That would seem easy enough and they wouldn't need to be embarrassed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 07:56 PM

811 posts, read 887,893 times
NKY= Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:50 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,101,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
And, them old Hillbilly...Rednecks will be the first to give ye a hand if'n ye need it to.

A for me, I'm an Appalachian American. Unlike some folks, I'm proud of it.
You are correct, they would be the first to give you a hand if you need it.
Absolutely, I would be proud to be an Appalachian American too, if I were one...it's hands down,
one of the prettiest places in the whole country.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:22 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,083,649 times
Another point on the career aspect of a move to Maine. The Woodworking field may sustain you if you can find a market in the Bangor area which has around 100,000 people (Bangor has around 33,000 people) and possibly the Augusta-Waterville area. Combined population in that area is a little less than Bangor's micropolitan area. SW Coastal Maine offers the best economic opportunities but if you live way north that could be difficult to service customers. Would not bother with such an endeavor in the really rural areas since nobody has any disposable income. Precisely why I mentioned having access to employment is going to be a potential need unless you get lucky with the Woodworking career.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:04 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm just curious. When you say NKY, are you referring to the most northern tip of KY just across the river from Cincinnati? Also, if these people dislike KY so much, consider themselves Cincinnatans first, why don't they live in Cincinnati? That would seem easy enough and they wouldn't need to be embarrassed.
I've always wondered that myself.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:15 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Don't take it personal. I am not spreading mis-information. Lexington is a small city and has less jobs to go around compared to NKY and Louisville. Anecdotally, one can go onto Indeed.com and see the actual number of entry level, basic jobs one can find on a search, to be far less when compared to it's neighbors to the West and North. If someone was looking for a strong, healthy job market, I would not recommend Lexington, KY when there are better options in Cincinnati and Louisville.

OP, I have hardly noticed any gun-toting rednecks in NKY. NKY is pretty much just an extension of Ohio. Most NKY residents consider themselves Cincinnatans first, Kentuckians second and some residents don't want to be associated with Kentucky at all, other than the fact their license plate says Kentucky. NKY is a influential area of the State and it is a direct result of being in proximity to Cincinnati, a major American city with Fortune 500 companies and a strong economy. I would pick Cincinnati/NKY first, then Louisville, then Bowling Green and finally Lexington, if I were looking for the things you listed.
I'm not taking it personal, I have no issue with someone not liking an area, however, you are either spreading misinformation or don't understand the concept of what does and doesn't make a good job market. Facts are facts. But, again, the OP has already eliminated Lexington as an option.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:58 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Absolutely, I would be proud to be an Appalachian American too, if I were one...it's hands down,
one of the prettiest places in the whole country.
And one of the richest folk cultures in America. What's left of it. Traditional Appalachian music, dancing and crafts are a cultural treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs2j8f7H2WY

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't see a problem with someone from NKY considering themselves a Cincinnatian by proxy. By which I mean if they are traveling, telling someone they are from the Cincinnati area makes sense as the influence of cities extends beyond state borders, but to deny or be embarrassed about living in Kentucky says more about the weakness of their personality than it does about any of Kentucky's faults.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:36 PM

I really enjoyed that video. There's a lot to be proud of. Thank you for posting it.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:14 AM

10 posts, read 11,250 times
Well. I certainly appreciate all the replies here. I do know a little bit of my own about various parts of KY since I was born and raised here. I have lived in mostly central KY, as well as Louisville and Morehead. And have also had a taste of the rest of this end of the country years ago when I traveled with a band. So I do know that there are indeed more civilized people in the world then KY. That does not mean I am putting down KYians. After all I am one. But many small town rural KYians have gained this strong sense of "entitlement" that they carry guns and blow things up in their yards. Regardless of how it affects a neighbor. Where I come from, that's considered inconsiderate and rude. And I have to question the intelligence and morals of people who carry such nonsensical beliefs anyway. There are better things in life than disturbing the peace for fun.

That said. I have traveled up north into middle Ohio for years. And my experience is that as I moved north, it was far easier to find like minded people. So maybe I am more like northerners. I don't know. But this day and age, the whole country is upside down and mixed up. Things have changed and ARE changing.

Maybe I am over thinking all of this. But we do plan to buy a house and want to be as informed as we can be to avoid finding that a-hole that lives close by. Seems like no matter where you live there is always that one idiot that lives close by that will ruin peace and quiet for everyone else. That has been my experience over the past 20 years. LOL. Right now we are looking at the Williamstown and Dry Ridge area.

Again. Thanks very much for taking the time to respond to me!

Old 09-28-2017, 12:26 PM

Truth be told, what you describe happens everywhere. People can be rude, inconsiderate and feel entitled no matter where you are, big city or small town and in every state.
The neighbor behind me sets off fire crackers, not every night but often enough. Now when it starts getting dark out, my dog instead of relaxing is on guard and paces waiting for the noise that he hates. He's having surgery next week to remove a tumor from his liver and doesn't need the stress. It drives my dog crazy which in turn drives me crazy. This is in progressive big city CA. Rude people, inconsiderate people are everywhere. You just have to be lucky enough not to have one move next to you.

Last edited by marino760; 09-28-2017 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky