Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 07:02 AM

43 posts, read 81,516 times

Advertisements

My family lives in Roanoke Va, Dallas TX and MD near DC. Every June we get together for 2 weeks on Hatteras Island NC (lovely place-not too developed due to Federal constraints at National Seashores).However, from Dallas Texas, to/from Hatteras Island is a long drive.

We are trying to find a vacation spot (understand there is no ocean) in Kentucky on lake or river, near mountains, that is not too commercialized-developed. Someplace we could rent a house or cabin where my grandchildren do not have to be monitored constantly (like at Hatteras). Though my preference would be Adirondacks of Sierra Nevadas, both these locales are too far.

I do not even know where to start in Kentucky. Do you? If so please assist us. We do not need nite life or boardwalk or amusement park. Nice trails in mountains, clean lake or river and of course cable tv (ha ha). I assume A/C would be needed in June in Kentucky

Thanks much

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 09:52 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,108 times
Lake Cumberland State Resort Park - Kentucky State Parks

This might work...Several more around the state you can access from this site.

Have fun!

Old 06-26-2018, 05:57 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Hi! Welcome to the Kentucky forums here at City Data.

Lots of places like that that would fit your criteria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtogYuEKZwQ

Kentucky Cabin Rentals - Kentucky Vacation Rentals - Kentucky Cottages
Lake Cumberland like Hogrus pointed out, is a great choice plus you might also want to check out:

Pine Mountain
Natural Bridge
Cumberland Falls
General Butler

Red River Gorge is great too....one of the most beautiful places in Kentucky.
I am not sure...it might be a bit too rugged for smaller children though.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:16 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Should check out Kentucky Lake/Lake Barkley/ Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. A lot of the lakes area is kind of commercialized but not as bad as some places. The Land Between the Lakes is 170,000 acres of hiking and biking trails, camping, fishing, hunting, etc. If you want to go to a store or a restaurant, you'll have to drive 20-25 miles to find something. No businesses are allowed in the LBL."Over 500 miles of trails and 200 miles of scenic roads lead to some of the most wonderful spots at Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. " https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/
Kentucky Lake is the largest man made lake, by acreage, east of the Mississippi River. Plenty of fishing, boating swimming. Lake Barkley isn't as big but still big on tourism. All kinds of catfish, bass, crappie, red ear, blue gill and no telling what else you'll catch. There are quite a few resorts around both lakes and people also have homes to rent out. My wife and I have been talking about getting one of these just to get away for a while. All this is about a couple hours from Nashville by I-24, and less than an hour from Paducah,Ky.
https://www.explorekentuckylake.com/
https://www.holidayhomes.com/s/searc...etype=perNight
The ones we looked at aren't anywhere near something fancy but neither are we. An older house that's clean and in good shape suits us fine. They have several of those and some nicer houses too.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:48 AM

Thanx much

Old 06-28-2018, 06:50 AM

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky