Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2022, 05:27 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I know some states have significant hidden taxes and fees. For example some states have annual private property taxes on things like vehicles.

How does KY get their money? What are some of the taxes that would be wise to be aware of before moving?

Property/school taxes seem very reasonable so I'm Sure they get their income elsewhere. Just want to know what to be looking for when I make comparisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 09:56 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,382 times
Watch out for vehicle property tax. Look into all that falls under the property tax. County Clerks offices tend to be the best source of that information and will know their county rate. I am sure there is a state website that houses the information as well.

As a rough estimate, my vehicle tax on a valued vehicle of $18K-$20K taxed at $250-$300. That was in 2021 on a 2019 Subaru. It is when you get into other registered vehicles (RVs, boats, trailers, side-by-sides, motorcycles, etc.) that it can certainly add up, especially if you have multiples of those.

Of course, as the vehicle depreciates, the taxable amount, and thus owed tax, goes down along with the lessened value.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:26 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,382 times
Another thing to be aware of is some jurisdictions (counties and towns/cities) levy a payroll tax AND Occupational Tax on employers (and thus their employees).

The tax only applies to where you work or are employed. It does not get levied on local residents or property owners. Rental income may need further examination if that qualifies for paying this tax on said income. I would consult a licensed CPA in Kentucky for that. The difference here with Ohio (and other income tax states) is Kentucky only taxes workers at their place of work. Ohio income tax applies to both residents and workers in that jurisdiction, though some Ohio locales have rate relief agreements between municipalities.

In Kentucky, both the Payroll Tax and Occupational Tax usually are capped at a certain level depending on the jurisdictions and rules. Payroll Tax is usually a roughly 2-3% rate with a max that varies by jurisdiction. Wilder is 2.25% with the cap being based on FICA rules. Others cap at a specified dollar amount. Campbell County maxes out $406 collected per employee. Occupational tax in Wilder is 0.075% maxed at $40,000 gross receipts and Campbell County maxes at $610, including a $25 license fee.

I think this was the most confusing part of moving to Kentucky. While Ohio rates are confusing in what you pay where and can be high (some local income taxes are 2-3% of total income - and if there is no relief, you could be paying 5 or even 6%), at least I knew I likely owed a certain percentage to my place of residence and my place of work. Kentucky is a little more confusing, especially if you work for an employer who does not have an office in the city/county and you work from home.

2022 Campbell County and Certain Campbell County Jurisdictions Occupational Tax Table
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky