Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 05:33 PM

5 posts, read 11,817 times

Advertisements

We are looking at these three places to possibly move to. We have visited all of these places, so we do have some familiarity with them. I lived in Bowling Green,KY for several years so I have experienced Nashville quite a bit. Only a few quick trips to Lexington and San Antonio though. Just looking for some people's advice who might have some knowledge of them all. Just looking for general advice and opinions. She is a physical therapy asst. He is in banking. We will rent before buying in case anyone wants to know. With a budget around 1000/month. Thanks for your time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 08:12 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mross1823 View Post
We are looking at these three places to possibly move to. We have visited all of these places, so we do have some familiarity with them. I lived in Bowling Green,KY for several years so I have experienced Nashville quite a bit. Only a few quick trips to Lexington and San Antonio though. Just looking for some people's advice who might have some knowledge of them all. Just looking for general advice and opinions. She is a physical therapy asst. He is in banking. We will rent before buying in case anyone wants to know. With a budget around 1000/month. Thanks for your time..
Lexington is a tiny college town compared to these major metro areas of Nashville and SA. Nashville is my favorite among these three. I would consider looking at Louisville given the size and amenities of the other 2 metro areas as it is closer in size and stature, although still a good clip smaller especially compared to San Antonio.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:27 PM

Yes you are right. Lex is more of our option of a smaller town without being a tiny rural community. Happy medium I guess.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Yes you are right. Lex is more of our option of a smaller town without being a tiny rural community. Happy medium I guess.
If that is what you want, I think Lex is one of the best in the eastern US at what it does (under 500k metro range). While it is a smaller town, it is very highly educated and even the restaurants and retail have substantially improved in the last 5 years.

Certainly Nashville is more similar to Louisville, in the 1-2 million range, and I much prefer theses 2 cities for the culture, urbanism, and architecture (especially Louisville with its food and architecture).

San Antonio is becoming a mega city, at 2 million metro and with fast growth, this is going to be a very large metropolis in the next decade. It is going to be more diverse, especially with regards to Hispanics, than the other choices.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:47 PM

Do you have any first hand experience on how the job market is out there? I have read it is doing ok, but being a major college town I would expect lots of competition with college grads and so on. Yes from I can tell San Antonio is getting crazy big right now. Lots of construction on loops around town trying to help with congestion in the burbs. I will say I think SA might be the best weather situation I think.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Do you have any first hand experience on how the job market is out there? I have read it is doing ok, but being a major college town I would expect lots of competition with college grads and so on. Yes from I can tell San Antonio is getting crazy big right now. Lots of construction on loops around town trying to help with congestion in the burbs. I will say I think SA might be the best weather situation I think.
The best job market in KY is in Louisville in terms of just sheer number of major companies and higher paying jobs, as it has the most large company headquarters and is by far the state's largest MSA. That said, you are correct that high paying jobs are very tough to find in Lexington due to all the recent college grads, etc. However, you can find a job anywhere if you try and Lexington has some of the state's lowest unemployment rates year after year. Craigscreek is the resident expert here on Lexington. I have lived in Lexington, off and and on, for a total of around 2 years and travel there frequently for my job. It has grown a lot but still lacks that major metropolitan beltway and corporate presence, and certainly lacks a major downtown. Lexmark is only the real major company with HQ in Lexington. Everything is still centered around "Big Blue" and UofK sports. Certainly my favorite spot in Lexington is Gratz Park and my favorite restaurant is still Jonathan at Gratz Park (sophisticated "old south" food goes along with the horse money in Lex), although I have been impressed with a few new players on the Lexington culinary scene (which still has along way to go compared to larger cities like Nashville or Louisville).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky