Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:39 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times

Advertisements

The most likely site is near Bowling Green, Bullitt Co is still in the running. A Clark Co, Indiana site is also in the mix

Beshear clears roads for electric car plant - State - Kentucky.com (broken link)
Kentucky hopes to lure California company's electric car manufacturing - Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal:
McClatchy Washington Bureau | 08/06/2008 | Electric car plant hoped for in Kentucky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:01 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The most likely site is near Bowling Green, Bullitt Co is still in the running. A Clark Co, Indiana site is also in the mix

Beshear clears roads for electric car plant - State - Kentucky.com (broken link)
Kentucky hopes to lure California company's electric car manufacturing - Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal:
McClatchy Washington Bureau | 08/06/2008 | Electric car plant hoped for in Kentucky
Wow that would be a massive coup for a metro area the size of BG. BG has very high growth. I just don't get it, because frankly the town is not impressive to me. I guess they are pawning off TN growth? The announcement is good for Ky I guess but still,. it is manufacturing jobs. When the Chinese economy passes us (and it will soon folks), these jobs will be a joke. KY needs to try and "lure" high tech jobs, not manual labor jobs. But what does that Governor know...not a whole lot!!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:39 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
When you've been out of work for several months with a family to feed and house and bills to pay, you'll be right there at the front of the line for this "manufacturing job". When Remington opened their factory in Mayfield in '97, making their Rim Fire rifle, They announced they were going to hire somewhere around 100 to start. Don't hold me to that exact number. When the doors opened for applicants there were almost 1000 people lined up looking for a job. Sure, that was 11 years ago, but with GW up there in Washington, things sure aint any better! That "manufacturing job" you call a joke maybe a Godsend to quite a few people in the area. Sure, high tech jobs are needed, but you have to start somewhere!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:47 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Wow that would be a massive coup for a metro area the size of BG. BG has very high growth. I just don't get it, because frankly the town is not impressive to me. I guess they are pawning off TN growth? The announcement is good for Ky I guess but still,. it is manufacturing jobs. When the Chinese economy passes us (and it will soon folks), these jobs will be a joke. KY needs to try and "lure" high tech jobs, not manual labor jobs. But what does that Governor know...not a whole lot!!

Have you been to Bowling Green lately? We have several large companies located here and are the corporate headquarters for several global companies. Bowling Green attracts a lot of companies looking to relocate or new ventures. Outsiders are impressed with what a nice city Bowling Green is.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:18 PM

17 posts, read 64,436 times
High tech jobs come in areas where schools are good and many people hold degrees, especially technology degrees. That ain't KY. I guess we'll just have to settle on the manufacturing jobs now which boost tax revenue which in the long run will help the educational system.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:25 AM

73 posts, read 219,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
High tech jobs come in areas where schools are good and many people hold degrees, especially technology degrees. That ain't KY. I guess we'll just have to settle on the manufacturing jobs now which boost tax revenue which in the long run will help the educational system.

A lot of tech jobs go where the labor/COL is cheap. That IS Kentucky. I'd be happy to see BGKY grow

Old 08-09-2008, 08:29 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Outsiders are impressed with what a nice city Bowling Green is.
That means the people who live there...well...are not impressed?

Old 08-09-2008, 12:00 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Have you been to Bowling Green lately? We have several large companies located here and are the corporate headquarters for several global companies. Bowling Green attracts a lot of companies looking to relocate or new ventures. Outsiders are impressed with what a nice city Bowling Green is.
Sorry, I am not particulary impressed. The WKU campus area is not even as close to as nice, urban, and walkable as it can be. To me, BG, looks like a Nashville suburb like Mufreesboro. Many people LOVE that, but it is not my cup of tea.

Also, who are these large corporate headquarters? There are no Fortune 1000 companies to my knowledge in the city. BG is obviously a nice place, just not within my tastes. My city has to have some grit and urbanism.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:40 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Sorry, I am not particulary impressed. The WKU campus area is not even as close to as nice, urban, and walkable as it can be. To me, BG, looks like a Nashville suburb like Mufreesboro. Many people LOVE that, but it is not my cup of tea.

Also, who are these large corporate headquarters? There are no Fortune 1000 companies to my knowledge in the city. BG is obviously a nice place, just not within my tastes. My city has to have some grit and urbanism.

You have heard of a little company called Fruit of the Loom, right? Not to mention Houchens Industries, Holley Performance Products, Desa International, Camping World, Sumitomo and Bowling Green is home to the only plant that manufactures the GM Corvette (though not the headquarters of GM). We also have many other international companies with divisions located in Bowling Green. As far as WKU's campus, it is very beautiful and walkable but it is on a hill, hence the "Hilltoppers".

Old 08-09-2008, 05:27 PM

200 posts, read 807,067 times
This is great news. Glad to see some good news coming for the state and our current leader
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky