Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:00 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,505,417 times

Advertisements

FRI - A 52 yr old Lawrenceburg man was killed on I-64 in Woodford Co when hit by a Mini Cooper that crossed the median, hitting him head on

LEX18 - Lexington, KY - News, Weather, Sports - Fatal Crash Victim Identified (http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=9471168&nav=EQlpeEOM - broken link)

SAT - 4 Bell Co teenagers where killed when the lost control on a snow slick US 25E and crossed the median, hitting a loaded coal truck. The dead ranged in age from 15 to 18.

Lexington News - Kentucky News | Lexington Herald-Leader
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 06:53 PM

52 posts, read 133,195 times
Default not doing my job

I guess that even in these tough economic times I need to remind people how quickly we CAN make the state act.
The median barriers on I-65 that my family, friends and I fought for are to be installed beginning this month.
We all need to make the government hear us and get barriers on every dangerous highway. They will listen if enough people tell them.
I am willing to resume my efforts on the website to concentrate on any problem highway.

Barriers Now - Powered by vBulletin

Old 12-08-2008, 09:00 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,814,188 times
You know, I do think we need cable median barriers on the most dangerous or heavily traveled sections of interstate, parkways, and other major 4-lane divided highways (i.e. US 25E, US 23, KY 80, etc.)

Over the course of years, we can unveil these cable barriers on longer stretches of highway. But, for now, if we're to get this unveiled, the state will want to do it conservatively due to strict budget constraints.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:53 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,809,952 times
Why are the KY interstates so deadly with crossovers? I've traveled extensively around the US and I've always wondered why I-65 north of BG seemed so bad for crossovers. What is unique about it? It looks like every other interstate in the country.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Why are the KY interstates so deadly with crossovers? I've traveled extensively around the US and I've always wondered why I-65 north of BG seemed so bad for crossovers. What is unique about it? It looks like every other interstate in the country.
In my research for getting the barriers on I-65 I met or talked to several highway engineers. The consensus seems to be very poor design and construction. The interstate north of BG slants toward the median, pools water, and has multiple potholes, ruts and bumps.
While the problem is not unique to our commonwealth, other states have erected barriers until they can afford a permanent fix. We need to do the same.
I know there is a budget crisis, but saving lives should be of paramount importance.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:53 AM

123 posts, read 391,813 times
I'm sure median barriers are needed. Of course, Kentuckians do drive like they're in a race all the time. God love 'em.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:19 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,505,417 times
Quote:
Kentucky has WAY more semi trucks on our interstates than anywhere else I've been (The 401 in Ontario a close second). I think it's because we're right in the middle of the Eastern US and get a heavy volume of through traffic.

Add in all the trucks with our hilley terrain and passing on interstates is a major pain. You can pass one when they're going 55 mph up a hill and then they're going 75 mpg going down the hill and you get "hung out to dry"

Old 12-08-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Kentucky has WAY more semi trucks on our interstates than anywhere else I've been (The 401 in Ontario a close second). I think it's because we're right in the middle of the Eastern US and get a heavy volume of through traffic.

Add in all the trucks with our hilley terrain and passing on interstates is a major pain. You can pass one when they're going 55 mph up a hill and then they're going 75 mpg going down the hill and you get "hung out to dry"
Unfortunately it is the 4 wheelers that cause and are involved in most accidents. When my wife and daughter were killed in March, the accident was started by a pickup truck coming across the highway. Only one semi was involved and he ended up in the median trying to avoid the pickup and our van.
I've researched 187 cross-over accidents in Ky and other states. 181 of them were caused by 4 wheelers. And no , I don't drive a semi.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:53 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,809,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Kentucky does have a good amount of truck traffic, especially on 65 and 75. However, I wouldn't think it would be proportionally more than that in TN, GA, or the I-95 corridor. The thing is that a lot of these crossover accidents happen in relatively flat areas. I-65 north of BG is really not hilly at all, fairly flat with rolling hills. Regardless, it is obvious that cable barriers are necessary.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Kentucky does have a good amount of truck traffic, especially on 65 and 75. However, I wouldn't think it would be proportionally more than that in TN, GA, or the I-95 corridor. The thing is that a lot of these crossover accidents happen in relatively flat areas. I-65 north of BG is really not hilly at all, fairly flat with rolling hills. Regardless, it is obvious that cable barriers are necessary.

I thought by BG you meant Bowling Green. I guess not. I call the area between Bowling Green and Elizabethtown hilly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky