Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:25 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I would definitely go to the Smoky Mountains National Park and a UT game. Neyland Stadium can be a bear getting in and out of, but it's worth it at least once to experience. You will probably want to get tickets beforehand. LP Field for the Titans is far more comfortable and easier to deal with IMO.

I second the Nashville recommendation if you feel you must leave CA. You would be likely to find work more quickly and it would pay better. When I was looking for work, I was routinely getting interviews in the $40k-$50k range when I couldn't even make twelve bucks an hour in Kingsport. There is a lot more going on in Nashville and a lot of new development. It's my favorite city around that size I've been to. You still have lots of opportunities for outdoor recreation, slightly milder winters (and hotter summers), and all the music scene to enjoy. Any kind of state level savings (no inspection/emissions check, no income tax, cheap registration for vehicles, etc) will apply whether you live in wealthy Williamson County or poor Hawkins County. Granted, property is more expensive there, but still far cheaper than you're used to, and you may easily make 50% more than the Tri-Cities.

Why wouldn't you consider staying in CA? If your wife can make $50k-$60k starting out, then you all are in the $130k-$140k range. It seems silly to relocate to a place where you probably won't find a job and she'll take a pay cut when you all should be well over six figures soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 03:58 PM

981 posts, read 1,621,220 times
Completely with Emigrations here. The Tri-Cities is a place where people go to die. It is not a place to make a life.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:30 PM

141 posts, read 297,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Completely with Emigrations here. The Tri-Cities is a place where people go to die. It is not a place to make a life.
Gee, what a positive outlook. Did somebody forget to take their meds today?

Old 08-23-2014, 10:56 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutza View Post
I was born in raised in a smaller east suburb of San Diego. My wife and I have 3 kids ( 3,4, and 6yrs). I am a 29 year old union Iron Worker and my wife is is a 24 year old nursing student who will be done with school in dec. Long story short im tired of CA. The taxes, the politics, the cost of living, all of it has me constantly shaking my head. I make 85k a year and we scratch by. We think we want out. If I sold now I would have 250k dollars to buy a home and make the switch. I fantasize of a life elsewhere where I have a little land with little to no house payment enabling us to enjoy our life and family as opposed to working all the OT I can get my hands on in order to buy school clothes. We are the type of people that does everything we can to live below our means. My logic is, if we take what weve built in Ca and roll it over to an area with a much lower cost of living I will be somewhat able to acquire my fantasy of no longer being owned by the dollar.
We are outdoors people. Love the mountains and lakes. Our kids are into football and baseball. Big on youth sports all the way around. So my question is where in TN are the family friendly suburbs with good schools, lower cost of living, blue collar, ect? We own our fair share of firearms and enjoy shooting regularly. My wife and I are big on Harley rides (cant beat SD for that). I look forward to actually having 4 seasons. I live in SD the weather is great but I can live without it.
I bored you with some details of my life in the hopes that I could get a little help with my biggest question, is this just a pipe dream or is Tennessee a place where people like us can achieve these things with the assets we have acquired? If so would someone please give me some advice on where you believe is the best place to begin looking.
I also currently live in California (Sacramento area) and will be retiring in Tennessee, so my situation is different because I will not be looking for a job when I retire. I recommend that you research different areas. City-data.com is a good place to start as they will provide you with a lot of information for any city (large or small) in Tennessee. Once you've done your research, you should plan a trip to Tennessee to check out the areas you've researched. While there, talk to people, visit stores, schools, churches, and state parks. Check the newspapers in the areas you are interested in to see if positions are available in your line of work. As other people on this forum have told you, wages in Tennessee are much lower than in California, but the cost of living in Tennessee is considerably lower than in California.

I'll be retiring between Cookeville and Crossville, off of Interstate 40, hopefully in 2015.

Good luck in finding the right place in Tennessee.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:06 PM

30 posts, read 75,984 times
This area is a good place to retire (if its for you) and even move if you are some how offered a job but DO NOT move here without a job lined up the job market is terrible here. I've had many friends (with at least a Bachelors) and they still were stuck working in retail, fast food, or a call center for crap money and working conditions in TN are a joke, no worker rights what so ever and hah unions good luck with that in TN. Almost all of my friends have moved out of the area (and state) because they were offered a much better job and higher pay elsewhere. It's hard to make it here without a solid plan and you don't seem to have that.

I'm not trying to knock the area it's for some but honestly I just think you'd regret moving here and have a tough time.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:44 AM

17 posts, read 22,783 times
By "iron-worker" do you mean foundry or do you mean like building skyscrapers and bridges? Birmingham, and Bessimer Alabama have, in the past, been associated with Steel. I don't know for sure if there are still steel mills (i.e. foundries) operating now. There is a mini-steel mill in Eastern Arkansas, Nucor, I believe is the company's name. If your "iron-worker" skills can convert to aluminum, then Jackson, TN has an aluminum rendering plant, it used to be called Conalco, but they may have been bought out by someone and perhaps changed the name. Of course, these suggestions are not in the beautiful Smoky Mountains, but they do contain places that are low-cost-of-living and where housing is more affordable than CA. One caution, Jackson and E. AR will have high humidity--year round. So, not only will it be uncomfortable in summer, but in winter you will experience a "damp" cold.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:20 PM

5 posts, read 7,171 times
Smile Yes to Tennessee!

I am a recent transplant from Michigan where there is no work, and the taxes on everything are outrageous as well. Tennessee is awesome! I moved to a small town called Chuckey, it is right outside Greeneville and only 20 miles from Johnson City. The mountain trails, state parks, rivers, and the people have made this move the best thing we have ever done. We did not have nearly the funds that you do for a home, but we purchased out home on 3 acres, 2300 square feet, for just under 90,000. The house is fantastic and if we can get this dream for that price you can find your bliss with what you have. Life is slower here. We call it mozying. We like that fact that the roads aren't full of traffic and people wave and smile whenever you pass by. There is enough to do that I don't miss the city. If I want the city I don't have to travel to far to get malls and big name restaurants. Less that 20 miles actually. I think that you and your family would love it here. Also Johnson City and Greeneville both have very large medical centers for your wife. Johnson City is even a level 1 trauma center. Hope that this helps.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:39 AM

125 posts, read 166,682 times
We just moved here (Johnson City) from AZ. If I'd had the choice, I would have gone to Knoxville or even Nashville. Our house here is more expensive than a comparable house in Gilbert, AZ, groceries are more expensive with very little choice and variety, gas is cheaper, but I am going through twice as much because things are so spread out. We are missing a lot of the recreational perks of being near a big city - sports, theatre, fine arts, zoo, museums, a wider variety of kid sports and activities. We wanted to be in this school district because it was rated high, but I am less than impressed, especially with the middle school. No sports, no after-school classes and clubs, very difficult to meet people and make friends. I hear the high school is good, but my kids are 9 and 11, so that's a ways off.

I am also missing the sense of community - in AZ we'd go to the school bus stop and meet up with 30-40 kids and their parents. First day of school here, we excitedly went to the bus stop and there were 2 kids, both high schoolers. What a disappointment. My 10 yr old was on a bus for 45 minutes with high school kids... not fun for her and now I drive her to and from school. The first day of school, she didn't get home until 2 hours after dismissal! I don't like that I need to get on the freeway just to get my kids to school - no riding bikes or walking! We are in a big subdivision here - not way out on farmland - but we've found no one my kids ages in the neighborhood. It's just been disappointing all around and a much harder adjustment than when we moved to AZ.

It is beautiful here - the scenery, the weather, etc. I also look forward to the seasons. I've only been here for 7 weeks, so maybe it's still just adjustment issues and things will improve, but it's been a rough start. Maybe we just haven't settled in yet, or maybe it's just not my cup of tea - not sure yet. It seems like a beautiful place to live, but the day-to-day living, the schools, the lack of activities has been difficult for us. I've lived in PA, RI, CA (LA and SF) as well as Singapore and Australia, so I do know what it's like to live in very diverse places. This has been the hardest move I've ever done, though I know the ages of my kids have a lot to do with that. Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, but wanted to give my honest opinion.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:10 PM

141 posts, read 297,603 times
wombattver, you have definitely have much diversity in your past living locations. Your initial eval doesn't sound very positive....sounds like a LOT is missing in JC versus AZ. A lack of activities, arts, and socialization, especially for your children SUCK. Others have commented about groceries being more expensive and a lack of diverse selections in the Tri City region.

I sure hope things improve for you guys. Best wishes and keep us posted on developments

Old 09-13-2014, 06:49 PM

510 posts, read 1,388,173 times
I've spent a little time in Phoenix and this certainly isn't Phoenix. These truths should be evident during the due diligence process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee