Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:50 AM

20 posts, read 32,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It is very common to have to give a social security number for a background check. I wouldn't give one out online or over the phone to someone, though.

Also, if you do not have jobs yet, you may have to pay quite a bit of money up front.
I've secured a decent loan and a T.A. position at UT, so I'll have some income, and my wife is nearing in on a job. I'm hoping that will be enough.

It's just been nerve-racking trying to coordinate everything. It's our first relocation. We're not just coming down for my master's program though. We have hopes of hanging around after I graduate. Knoxville is such an awesome place with so much to offer. And for some reason, if it doesn't have what you need, you can get to Nashville or even Atlanta pretty reasonably. That's exciting to both of us.

Quote:
You weren't specific as to what type of rental you are seeking, ie apartment, house, duplex, or townhouse/condo. I can tell you that you will probably not get a house, condo, or townhouse for 500-600 in Bearden. If you're looking at apartments, I can recommend Londontown, though I have no idea what west Knoxville apartments are going for nowadays. Keep in mind that both Bearden and FC are desirable areas and are priced accordingly. There are better deals to be had in North Hills/Whittle Springs closer in on Broadway from Fountain City, but the area becomes older, more urban, and more working class. I like it, but it may not be to your taste.

I wasn't too specific, I realize. To be honest, we're just looking for some place that's quiet and affordable, in a decent neighborhood, and with good people running the place. The town we're moving from is very working class, and we're pretty modest. We certainly don't need much by way of extravagance. We've promised ourselves we'll buckle down these next two years and see where that takes us.

Thank you both for your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 08:50 PM

374 posts, read 945,581 times
I just posted on another thread that I had rented an apartment at Woodmeade South many years ago and was very happy there. I checked one of the ratings sites and it appears to still have a good rating. The proximity to UT/downtown is excellent, off Chapman Hwy, just a little south of the Henley St Bridge. Easy access to the interstate also. There were many students who lived there - but it was also quiet - no loud parties, etc. when I lived there. No idea what the rent is now, but it might be worth checking. The larger 2 BR apt is huge, great floor plan, w/washer dryer connections.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:08 PM

82 posts, read 165,078 times
Like a lot of places, landlords do not always advertise. I don't know if the places below in Fountain City (I consider it a nice place, but everyone has an opinion) are advertised, but you may want to check out these neighborhoods, located just off roughly the 5000 block of N. Broadway Ave.

Somewhat frequently I will see nice craftsmen houses/duplexes for rent in the neighborhood on the East side of N. Broadway Ave. (neighborhood across from Food City and Krogers is), starting about where Adair(although probably no rental on Adair) is and ending at Jacksboro Pike (where it loops around and deadends into Broadway).

Also in the neighborhood NW of Cedar and Broadway intersection, such as along Gresham (or one of those streets, sorry I don't remember)...If this is an easier description, if u r at the intersection of Cedar and Broadway, facing Cedar, start exploring on the streets going off to your right for the blocks going north for about 4-5 blocks.

I think there are a couple nice-looking craftsmen houses currently for rent if you head north on Broadway, pass the F.C. duck pond and Cedar on the left, continue just past Central Baptist and F.C. Wrecker on your left...Make a R onto Brief, and where it deadends, make a R. I have no idea of the house's inside condition, price or what the landlord/landlady is like.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:28 PM

TN Gal now and kdweller,

This is why I love this forum. Thank you both a whole bunch!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Sometimes the easiest way to rent around here is by driving around and finding signs. That seems so disheartening to folks that are hundreds of miles away, though, so I don't often mention it.

When we rented, we picked up the newspaper and called a number. The man rented it to us that afternoon. He was a very old man and he said that he didn't run checks. He could just tell. He promised that if we paid the rent on time that he would never raise the rent. Well, we always paid on time and he didn't raise the rent. We lived there almost three years.

My husband did have a job, though, and he was interested in that. You never know, though.

I had a friend in FL that was just out of college and worked with me at Sony. He could have never afforded his apartment on what he made, but his parents signed some sort of paper that said they would pay the rent if necessary. That was a professional complex.

There is no set way that rentals are handled.

KDweller: It sounds like you know Fountain City! We live just north of Cedar Lane!

Old 07-15-2010, 05:27 PM

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to pop back in and say thank you for all of your help. We didn't end up in Fountain City or Bearden, but we did find a nice little place in North Knoxville only about 6 minutes from campus. It's quiet and quaint, and the neighborhood has a nice feel to it so far.

So, thanks again!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:47 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonsong View Post
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to pop back in and say thank you for all of your help. We didn't end up in Fountain City or Bearden, but we did find a nice little place in North Knoxville only about 6 minutes from campus. It's quiet and quaint, and the neighborhood has a nice feel to it so far.

So, thanks again!
This was the area that I recommended as being more affordable. What neighborhood?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
This was the area that I recommended as being more affordable. What neighborhood?
I remembered that post! We're near Fulton High School and the former
St. Mary's Medical Center (now Mercy). It's about a mile from everything you'd need.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:10 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonsong View Post
I remembered that post! We're near Fulton High School and the former
St. Mary's Medical Center (now Mercy). It's about a mile from everything you'd need.
Yup, that's my neighborhood! I'm on the east side of Broadway. I love this part of town. Frankly, I think it's one of Knoxville's best-kept secrets.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yup, that's my neighborhood! I'm on the east side of Broadway. I love this part of town. Frankly, I think it's one of Knoxville's best-kept secrets.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Awesome! Thanks! Now, we just need to get situated, get the academic year at UT started, and see what happens. We're both very excited to be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville