Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,359 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this site and looking for some advice.

In a couple of months I'm going to be relocating to Knoxville from CT for work and would like some input on where to live. I'm a 23 year old single male, love live music, like to go out to bars and clubs, like coffee shops, working out, and running. From what I've read online, I am thinking Old North Knoxville might be a good fit for me.

I'm not looking to be surrounded by college students, but I'd like to live in an active area. I'm looking to rent and apartment, house or duplex, either 1 BR or 2 BR with a roommate. I'm looking to spend under $800/mo on rent. My hesitation of finding an apartment in Old North Knoxville is that I'm going to be working in Western Knoxville, and people that I work with have said that traffic around Knoxville is awful.

So I guess here are my questions:
1) What areas of Knoxville do you recommend I live?
2) How is the traffic in the morning and afternoon? (How long would it take me with traffic to get from Old North Knoxville to about Knoxville Memorial Park area)
3) Any recommendations on areas of the city you think I'd like or should check out?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:30 PM

189 posts, read 566,859 times
The old saying its best to live where you work and drive to where you play may be something to take into account here for you.

I don't think you will find the traffic to be any worse that what you are dealing with currently. I would venture to say you could be from Point A to Point B in about 30 minutes from end of city to end of city. Of course you have to stay aware of the traffic patterns and construction, but shouldn't be too hard to do.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:25 AM

745 posts, read 1,719,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passengerseat View Post
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this site and people that I work with have said that traffic around Knoxville is awful.
Not sure how "people" there would be able to say that traffic is awful. Very unlikely that many of them have visited to make that determination. Traffic flow and its effects depends on many factors. Perhaps "people you work with" just have a negative take on anything that isn't CT., or something they are comfortable with.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:21 AM

394 posts, read 794,901 times
If you are currently near any significant town or city in Ct I think you'll find traffic here to be a relief (from my experience overs years of trips through Ct). It's all relative, we came from DC area and the worst traffic here is a "walk in the park" compared to DC.

I'd come and visit and find the area that floats your boat. West seems to popular with transplants. If that's wherre you'll be working, that's what I'd check out first.

Even though you plan on renting you might want to tie up with a real estate agent to get "shown around". A good agent is willing to cultivate a future buyer.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
I'm from the CT/MA line.

Compared to the northeast there really isn't a traffic issue. In fact, compared to anywhere, except the middle-of-nowhere, there isn't a traffic issue. The only time there is a problem is if there is an accident, just like anywhere.

Add to that the fact that if you are going from north Knoxville to Knoxville Memorial Park you are going the opposite direction from the majority of commuters. It's about 20 minutes to your work from Fourth and Gill and Old North Knoxville.

If you want, there are plenty of apartment complexes around your workplace, too. I'd suggest you visit and see what you prefer.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:24 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,598,384 times
Yes, a reverse commute isn't too bad. Plus - how often are you tipsy whern you trive to/from work?

In ONK you can walk to venues in Happy holler, maybe even the old city. Or take an affordable taxi home from downtown if need be. I guess the answer might depend on your drinking habits.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 AM

469 posts, read 1,175,638 times
I am a 23 year old young professional as well. I had the exact same criteria as you when I moved to knox in november, except that I work downtown instead of out west, and I'm not too fond of coffee. But yeah, live music, young active affordable neighborhood that is close to bars is what I prefer as well. My realtor initially steered me exclusively to ONK. After 2 deals fell through there I began to look elsewhere and settled on Parkridge just across I-40 from ONK and 4th and Gill. Its a little more gritty than the other 2, but more affordable too. There aren't many undergrads, but there are a good bit of grad students and yound professionals. Traffic from this area to W. Knox is not that bad at all since the interstate runs right through all 3 neighborhoods. Good luck with your search. I'm sure you will love Knoxville

Old 02-22-2011, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Not sure how "people" there would be able to say that traffic is awful. Very unlikely that many of them have visited to make that determination.
...the people that I work with live in Knoxville...so I trusted their opinion...BUT, I'll take the recommendations from everyone else that the reverse-commute isn't all that bad compared to New England. My commute now is comparable at ~30 minutes.

I still love to go out to bars and anything with live music, so I'm leaning more towards living in ONK or something relative to that area and close to downtown.

Thanks everyone for the input, I think you all helped to confirm my instinct. Now just gotta find a place for rent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: