Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:18 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,301 times

Advertisements

Country music legend and Sevier County native Dolly Parton announced Wednesday a commitment to invest $300 million over the next 10 years in her hometown, where she plans to expand her Dollywood properties.

The capital investments include a 300-room resort that will be located on 100 acres adjacent to her namesake parks and a dual-launch coaster currently under construction in Dollywood.

Parton said she has always been a big dreamer who hoped to do more for her home in the Smoky Mountains. The 10-year investment is projected to create 2,500 jobs and generate an additional $150 million annually to the local economy.

[Video] Dolly Parton announces new resort, coaster in 10-year, $300M expansion » Knoxville News Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:11 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,286 times
Good news for that area! That park has really come a long way since I used to go as a young child.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:06 PM

394 posts, read 794,558 times
I hope infrastructure support is being addressed in the plan.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:11 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Seriously. Too bad BRT wasn't incorporated into the Parkway redo last year. There could be some giant park and ride stations at Dumplin' Valley.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:37 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC20853 View Post
I hope infrastructure support is being addressed in the plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Seriously. Too bad BRT wasn't incorporated into the Parkway redo last year. There could be some giant park and ride stations at Dumplin' Valley.
My feelings exactly. My first reaction wasn't one of glee, but one of "holy cow, where is all that additional traffic going to go?" It breaks my heart to see the mess that's been created in that beautiful area. I remember years and years ago some public authority in Sevier County hinted that they should have invested in a high speed rail line from the Knoxville airport to Sevierville and then a light rail system throughout Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. That would cost a fortune, however (although Jabo's BRT suggestion would be much cheaper). But it does seem ironic that the very thing that originally brought people to the Smokies (peace and quiet, beautiful views, fresh air) is being destroyed by all those people coming to the Smokies.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-21-2013, 02:48 PM

358 posts, read 999,606 times
I am completely divided on this. On the one hand, I know these places have to expand to keep the communities going but, on the other hand, I hate to see even more crowds and traffic. How much more before the mountains can't be seen?! I love Dollywood and we often have season passes but what will this do to the park and the area?!

Old 08-22-2013, 06:40 AM

345 posts, read 922,202 times
I believe this is a positive addition to the area.

First, Dolly's roots are here. And the area certainly wouldn't be what it is without her vision and compassion for the area and it's people. My in-laws live near the area of the park, not super close but you can hear the train whistle on a good day. I think Dolly will respect the area, and build the facility appropriate to the way it's going to be beneficial to all.

Second, as much as I loathe 66 and this construction project that has seemed to take EONS to complete, once it's finished, it will help traffic flow tremendously.

Third, the area near 407 was just purchased by the county and they will soon close the deal, probably next week. The original Dumplin Valley design will be modified I'm sure, but construction will soon begin.

Fourth, and quite importantly to me at least, all the older, rundown hotels are being purchased and remodeled. How terrific is that? To use up what's already there, instead of just building more and more.
Soon there will be two more hotels razed and rebuilt on the Parkway close to the Spur. This keeps tourism in that particular area and promotes more small businesses being able to flourish.

Dolly and her staff have spent many hours and had several meetings with the County and it's officials on this idea and vision. I have faith in her in that she has the best interests of her community in her heart on this decision. She could have went to another area, or to Nashville, but she didn't. She decided to keep this expansion here. Good for her and good for the area.

I live here. I love it. And this doesn't bother me in the least. I look forward to the expansion and new businesses! Makes me want to really think about opening my own business, considering more people will be visiting the area.

Again, just my opinion. Thank you.

Last edited by MrsMopar; 08-22-2013 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-22-2013, 07:41 AM

Just a side note, regarding BRT.

While I do see that idea being beneficial to some areas, in my opinion, I don't believe it would be feasible here. You have to realize that there are two rivers to traverse from I-40 to Pigeon Forge.
Expanding the bridge over the French Broad has proven difficult enough, and to widen it further wouldn't have worked without closing and moving businesses.

The Parkway winds through the city proper as well, and the widening of the road wouldn't be able to be done through Sevierville proper...without tearing down businesses or buildings or homes.

I find it ironic that the discussion is brought up of tearing up the land is a bad thing but putting in a BRT would be good? You can't have one without the other, in my opinion, in this particular area. BRT does work, in certain areas.

Besides, traffic sitting helps businesses. Let's be realistic here. People are waiting, they get hungry, they stop. They see t-shirts on sale, they stop.

In addition, half the tourists coming here don't utilize Veteran's Blvd like it was designed. You know how I get to my destination in Pigeon Forge? I take Veteran's Blvd. It's a three lane highway. And it's never crowded. So if you are in that big of a hurry and don't want to sit and watch the sights go by, take Veteran's. That's what it was designed for.

Again, just my opinion.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:00 AM

358 posts, read 999,606 times
Going on the assumption that there are no stupid questions....what's a "BRT"?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inave View Post
Going on the assumption that there are no stupid questions....what's a "BRT"?
No question is stupid to me!

BRT = Bus Rapid Transit

There are cities who thrive on this form of transportation. It adds a seperate area in the road for just busses that travel rapidly, without stopping like a regular city bus. It does stop, just not like a city bus.

Considering the amount of turn arounds here in TN (which takes time to get used to by the way!), especially on 66, I just don't feel it would work. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville