Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 08:07 AM

17 posts, read 29,401 times

Advertisements

I'm considering buying some property in Oak Ridge, for investment purposes. My analysis so far is that Oak Ridge is a solid area. Property won't appreciate much but housing is relatively cheap ( at least the houses I'm looking at, remember these are rental properties), and you don't have the crime and other issues related to lower/lower middle income neighborhoods you find in a lot of urban areas. Not to mention schools in the area are solid, though I doubt there's a lot of families looking for 1 or 2 Br apartments. I could be wrong tho...

I'm trying to get a gauge on the rental market though. Will I be able to find decent tenants that will pay rent on time, not trash my place and use it for a meth lab? I've talked to some real estate agents and they say it shouldn't be a problem, in fact they said it should be easy. Of course they're in real estate so I don't know how biased they are. Does anyone have feedback? I'm just worried that I'm going to buy a place then have trouble renting it, even if I price the rent competitively.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 11:25 AM

81 posts, read 105,991 times
If you don't mind doing month to month or short term rentals, you'll probably get a fair bit of interest from post-docs working at the lab. And if you can do it at a middle range rate for a decent place, as there doesn't seem to be many rentals that fall into that category, at least not last time I looked which was a few years ago. Most rentals seemed to be at the high (900$+) or low (<$500) end, and typically the rental conditions reflect the price. A lot of post docs just want a decent place to stay near work, doesn't have to be fancy, but they don't want something run down and constantly needing maintenance.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville