Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 07:13 PM

23 posts, read 64,559 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have spent some time the past few weeks on this forum and it has been so helpful. Thank you! I think I have been doing it all wrong when I've posted and I'm sorry! I just realized I've been asking questions on someone else's OP and that's probably not how it is done. I have finally figured out where to go to post a new thread. I'm quite new to this, so thanks for your patience!

My husband and I will be moving to the Oak Ridge area soon. He will be working at ORNL. Now, I've read about all the scary stuff and the great schools. We also visited, though not for long enough, back in Jan. Everyone was so nice and the scenery was great, even in drab Jan. Our big decision now is where to live. We have two children (elementary school age) and education and safety is important to us. I've been impressed with the Oak Ridge Schools Report Card, but I'm stumped on the graduation numbers - 79% Does anyone know what's going on there? I know that NCLB isn't the only indicator of a school's quality, but right now that's all I have to go on. Does anyone know how they compare to Clinton schools? I've read the Report Card for Clinton schools as well and the scores are not that much different, lower in Math, but a higher graduation rate. I am interested not only in the quality of education, but discipline as well. I know that children who are constant behavior problems can really have a negative affect on the learning of the entire class. And like most, I want my children to feel safe at school. This is a big problem for the middle and high schools where we currently live in VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 07:24 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,431,788 times
I'd think that with all the pHd's in Oak Ridge, their schools'd be top notch. Maybe they were so smart they went straight to college from junior year lol!

Okay, sorry--

I wish I had info, hope someone can help!

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,485,905 times
There is a section of OR that would be considered "inner city." I'm sure that has something to do with the stats.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:40 AM

37,843 posts, read 41,201,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgirl View Post
Hello. I have spent some time the past few weeks on this forum and it has been so helpful. Thank you! I think I have been doing it all wrong when I've posted and I'm sorry! I just realized I've been asking questions on someone else's OP and that's probably not how it is done. I have finally figured out where to go to post a new thread. I'm quite new to this, so thanks for your patience!

My husband and I will be moving to the Oak Ridge area soon. He will be working at ORNL. Now, I've read about all the scary stuff and the great schools. We also visited, though not for long enough, back in Jan. Everyone was so nice and the scenery was great, even in drab Jan. Our big decision now is where to live. We have two children (elementary school age) and education and safety is important to us. I've been impressed with the Oak Ridge Schools Report Card, but I'm stumped on the graduation numbers - 79% Does anyone know what's going on there? I know that NCLB isn't the only indicator of a school's quality, but right now that's all I have to go on. Does anyone know how they compare to Clinton schools? I've read the Report Card for Clinton schools as well and the scores are not that much different, lower in Math, but a higher graduation rate. I am interested not only in the quality of education, but discipline as well. I know that children who are constant behavior problems can really have a negative affect on the learning of the entire class. And like most, I want my children to feel safe at school. This is a big problem for the middle and high schools where we currently live in VA.
Luckily, this news story was still available from last November:

Schools address graduation rate - Oak Ridger (http://www.oakridger.com/stories/110807/new_215953069.shtml - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: