Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 09:19 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
She said she homeschools. Therefore it does not make any difference what the schools are like
Yeah, I didn't bring it up, he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Live in Ooltewah. Never lived in Knoxville, unless a 3 month internship counts but that was 15 years ago. Still go there a lot. In fact, I use Middlebrook Pky on game days. But to your point, I was a college/career counselor to kids at West High School back when I was doing an internship through UTK in the early 2000s.

But nope, Hik. I would not recommend a child go to Westview Elementary. I know that first hand as my nephew went there for a year. My sister likes to think she's "liberal". When her husband was in law school at UT, they lived in a complex near Papermill and I-75/40.

And the MS options are weak at best. Like Westview, Northwest is Title 1. About the best -- relatively speaking-- of the schools in that zone is West HS, and while it's making strides with programs like IB, in the end, it's still fed by a title 1 zone. A close friend's church sponsors the schools in that zone. He has told me about his experiences at West and the (as he puts it) "infectious political correctness" in the school. Despite being in their zone, nobody I know in Sequoyah Hills ever seriously thought about sending their child(ren) to West HS.
Well, that was pretty random, but then you went on a bizarre rant.

My kids went to West High and they went to school with a lot of kids from Sequoyah Hills so your statement is ludicrous. How many people do you actually know in Sequoyah? Not only do people seriously consider sending their kids there, they enroll them.

The beauty of West High is it has some of the poorest and richest students in the school. It is very diverse. If that means it is "politically correct" to you, so be it.

Stick to writing about things that you've actually experienced, otherwise you embarrass yourself.

In any event, the OP is homeschooling so I'm moving on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 11:01 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yeah, I didn't bring it up, he did.

Well, that was pretty random, but then you went on a bizarre rant.

My kids went to West High and they went to school with a lot of kids from Sequoyah Hills so your statement is ludicrous. How many people do you actually know in Sequoyah? Not only do people seriously consider sending their kids there, they enroll them.

The beauty of West High is it has some of the poorest and richest students in the school. It is very diverse. If that means it is "politically correct" to you, so be it.

Stick to writing about things that you've actually experienced, otherwise you embarrass yourself.

In any event, the OP is homeschooling so I'm moving on.
You don't know who my friends are. Not one of them sends their children to West (nor ever considered it). But you did, and that's fine. I'd guess they don't see the "beauty" you do in poor and rich kids eating lunch together. Perhaps, they judge the "beauty" of a school in how well it educates kids. As I mentioned, I have a sister who thinks that way, but she backed away from that pretty fast when it directly affected her own child. So did your children attend Westview Elementary or Northwest Middle School? Just to remind you, schools in that zone was the topic of my previous comment. I stand by that.

To your point that I don't know Knoxville. I told you about my sister ("random" as you called it). My wife lived there as a girl and attended West Hills Elementary, and her brother lives on Cherokee Blvd., right on the river. We go there frequently; just spent Christmas Eve there. So I know plenty about Knoxville. I've played on more golf courses there than you probably even know exist in the area.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:00 AM

363 posts, read 482,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
You don't know who my friends are. Not one of them sends their children to West (nor ever considered it). But you did, and that's fine. I'd guess they don't see the "beauty" you do in poor and rich kids eating lunch together. Perhaps, they judge the "beauty" of a school in how well it educates kids. As I mentioned, I have a sister who thinks that way, but she backed away from that pretty fast when it directly affected her own child. So did your children attend Westview Elementary or Northwest Middle School? Just to remind you, schools in that zone was the topic of my previous comment. I stand by that.

To your point that I don't know Knoxville. I told you about my sister ("random" as you called it). My wife lived there as a girl and attended West Hills Elementary, and her brother lives on Cherokee Blvd., right on the river. We go there frequently; just spent Christmas Eve there. So I know plenty about Knoxville. I've played on more golf courses there than you probably even know exist in the area.
Weird. My oldest goes to Bearden and the poor and rich kids mingle every.single.day. Some of them even date each other... amazing. I got some kids next door who definitely aren't rich but they attend Webb. I'm glad the kids aren't as snotty or pretentious (jeez, wanna drop a few more "i'm richer than you" hints) as you appear to be.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:59 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Sorry you feel that way. I didn't say anything about Bearden, which is a fine high school. The defensiveness of some here has really veered this topic off track. And someone said I was on a "random" "bizarre rant".

As noted by the OP and in my first comment, school quality does not matter to her because she "home schools". Hence, my suggesting apartment complexes in that area. I even noted a relationship as (only part of) my basis for knowing Knoxville. When challenged because I "live in some rural area near Chattanooga", which I don't. (I live on a lake cove in a suburban area, which I'm sure makes me a snob), I proffered a bit more on my associations in Knoxville. So now I'm snotty and we're commenting about Bearden.

Maybe by now the OP has decided that Knoxville is not the place for her, as the tedious bickering here might have turned her off on the notion.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:07 PM

15 posts, read 11,236 times
House or condo would be fine. If you know a good realtor you could direct message me if you want, thank you!

Old 01-09-2018, 10:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3fabulouskids View Post
House or condo would be fine. If you know a good realtor you could direct message me if you want, thank you!
Try Hotpads.

https://hotpads.com/knoxville-tn/houses-for-rent

I'm also going to message you some info.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:58 AM

377 posts, read 470,279 times
If you want to locate near UTK for your daughter, avoid the campus area. It's not the ideal environment for your younger children. There are some nice rentals on the West End of Knoxville (which would be a straight shot 15 minute drive to UTK on I-40) and the rentals are nicer. Your college daughter will also have more employment opportunities with the restaurants around there. Check out Gallaher View Rd, Fox River Way, and surrounding areas. With your budget, you can probably afford something a little bigger also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville