Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,840,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
How someone from LA can be worried about crime in LC
The Original Posters stated "My fiancee and I are making the trip to Los Angeles from Houston", so a little apprehension might easily be expected...

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 06:26 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,038,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Goodness, Las Cruces is a nice town to stop in with nice reasonably priced hotels. How someone from LA can be worried about crime in LC tells me this idea of fly over country is a generalization that some substitute for good cold hard facts.

Granted I am not a resident of LC but have spent the night there dozens of time on my way from Houston to Phoenix when I lived there. I like LC, nice suburb of a high desert pretty area that is a bigger town when you include the Mexican population centers across the border as well. One person I know moved from Phoenix to LC to retire because its safer and has more air connections to her children living in UK than Phoenix.
LC has more air connections to the UK than Phoenix? Did i read that right? You do know that British Air flies 6 times a week from Phoenix non stop to Heathrow? Also Phoenix is the tenth busiest US airport.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

She was pulling your leg

Last edited by minibrings; 05-30-2012 at 06:36 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 01:49 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,208,531 times
Stay at Hotel Encanto... if you want a nice hotel in a nice part of town. Lots of food closeby, depending on what you want- of course you'll have to be willing to explore a little if you want the fgood stuff.

The benefit of staying there is that if you happen to be unlucky, you have your choice of two hospitals! You'd be right between them.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:36 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,721,201 times
LC is far from "dangerous". Its a quite a peaceful place for the most part but thats not too say crime doesn't exist.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:09 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,311,484 times
Las Cruces is safer than both Houston and LA for that matter.

Be careful, you just might not want to leave.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:50 AM

36 posts, read 284,227 times
Wink It does have its " hoods" like any other city, but it's nothing like Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico

From what others have told me, mostly students at New Mexico State University where I attend college [Associate of Arts-at the " Branch" actually], generally other women, the areas to avoid are along West Picacho Ave. west of the newly-reconstructed downtown; our " Weed and seed" area which they've been cleaning up. That and in the city's north side just above North Main St.[ US-70] and [ unincorporated] east side in and around Moongate; an area of seedy old mobile homes set along private dirt roads featuring a predominately Hispanic population and lots of destitute poverty. When I first came to Las Cruces and was looking for a place, the Hispanic man working at the rest area [ where I camped in car] warned me " There's lots of ' bad Latino' in Moongate, the Locos".
Safest areas? 1. East Mesa, a rapidly growing area filled with new suburban, Phoenix, Arizona and/or San Diego style homes on small lots; mixed with condo complexes and a few newer apt. complexes situated in a desert setting with rolling hills. The brand new East Mesa NMSU Branch or Dona Ana Community College is here and they're building the city's third Walmart 24-hour Supercenter just off Sonoma Ranch Rd. Close to South Solano Dr. and East University area is also pretty much safe; though there are lots of NMSU students renting here. Also good is anything along Telshor Drive, lots of nice, fairly modern apt. complexes and new house neighborhoods in this area.
One thing which can be scary at times here in Las Cruces, at least for women in general, is this. Many of the lower-class men, both " Cowboy" types and certain, less-educated Hispanics, get their kicks from yelling all sorts of disgusting sexual innuendo at women from the comfort of their cars and four-wheel drive "Monster" trucks. If you are wearing jogging clothes and anything revealing like a sports bra, be prepared for this! When I first moved here to an off-campus cottage along S. Solano, I have been frightened out of my wits a few times while walking to and from NM State University. Not that bad, but occasionally still present, on the NMSU Campus itself. Usually guys like these are simply rude, drunken jerks. However, being active with Aggies for Feminism, I have heard that there's a high rate of domestic violence in Dona Ana County as a whole. The LGBT Center on North Main, located in one of the city's so-so neighborhoods, was the victim of a hate crime in early March 2012. An unknown person or persons threw part of an auto transmission, probably from a moving vehicle, through the plate glass, storefront window sometime in the overnight hours of March 12, 2012. Something which does not say a lot for Las Cruces level of tolerance toward diversity. It can be a rather conservative city despite the fact that, in the 2012 Presidential election, more voted Democrat than Republican [ 52% Obama v. 47% Romney with a 3% vote for Libertarian Gary Anderson].
As for New Mexico State University as a whole? There has been a rash of bicycle thefts; use a U-Bolt like that " New York Lock" on campus; and off as well. Being an active participant in both NMSU's Take Back the Night and our unofficial first annual "Slutwalk 2013", I learned that there's a somewhat high occurrence of date-rape incidents at NMSU. My therapist mentioned that the NMSU campus supposedly ranks 17th for most violent crime on campus. I don't think its that bad, as I now live on campus and often walk back late at night, usually without being bothered. However, a few women I know have been stalked and/or followed; one was raped on our campus. Carry your cell phone and whistle and guard your drinks.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:18 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,482,061 times
Las Cruces is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces