Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:23 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I just want to point out that some Hispanics and Native/Americans with ties to rural areas adopt the country/western culture. For example, there is a large Navajo rodeo in the Farmington area and it is not uncommon to see Hispanics and Native/Americans wearing boots and western style shirts or listening to country music. Rancheros is a type of Spanish country music. Country/western culture is not just a redneck Anglo thing.
Based on what they play on tribal radio I would guess that country is hands-down the most popular music genre in New Mexico's major Native areas, followed by metal, reggae and traditional music. Most Mexican immigrants in NM will probably dress like vaqueros and listen to norteno and banda, which as ABQ2015 points out is pretty much Mexican country music...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 01:14 AM

38 posts, read 79,104 times
Just putting my 2 cents in, El Paso is your best bet for diverse music, not ABQ. Seldom does anyone thats well known goes to ABQ, even if so i doubt it would be worth the 4 hour drive.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:50 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Most Mexican immigrants in NM will probably dress like vaqueros...
Can you please explain what you mean by that statement?

From what I've seen of those migrating across the border from Mexico, "MOST" dress just like the rest of us living in the region. Tee shirts, hoodies, jeans and sneakers being the uni-sex favorites.

As for music, I believe that the idea of "country music" being norteno/banda is misleading unless one understands the origins of the genres. For example:

Quote:
Texas-Mexican "conjunto" continues to represent an alternative musical ideology, and in this way it helps to preserve a Mexican, working-class culture wherever it takes root on American soil.

And this: Banda is a brass-based form of "traditional" Mexican music. Scholars of Mexican music recognize that Banda is part of the cultural process of mestizaje, specifically between German and mestizo forms of popular music. Bandas play a wide variety of songs, including rancheras, corridos, cumbias, baladas, and boleros.

Last edited by joqua; 04-28-2016 at 07:59 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 11:32 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Can you please explain what you mean by that statement? [/QUOTE}

Pardon me, I should have said "many." The vaquero look is very popular among Mexican immigrants in New Mexico, particularly among folks from rural parts of Chihuahua or Sonora (of which there are quite a few).

[QUOTE} As for music, I believe that the idea of "country music" being norteno/banda is misleading unless one understands the origins of the genres.
It's certainly not "country" in the sense of sounding anything like American country music. But banda and norteno occupy a very similar place to country music in the culture of rural northern Mexico, and they cover a lot of the same bases thematically: ranches, horses, the ups and downs of working-class rural life, etc.

US country music doesn't really have anything that comes close to the narco tunes that are currently very popular within the broader norteno/banda scene, though. That's a subgenre all its own, and probably thematically more similar to gangster rap than anything else...

Old 04-29-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
It's certainly not "country" in the sense of sounding anything like American country music.
That's what I was driving at, so we're in agreement on that point. While the OP may not like "western" culture, that might not include Mexican folk culture.

As a youth growing up in El Paso, there were a very few of my schoolmates who actually dressed in what we referred to at the time as "western" garb. I was one of them, spending most of my earning money on expensive western shirts with pearl snaps, cowboy boots and Levis. And that was back when western music was distinctly different from what we know today as "country western." As might be expected, my all-time favorite western song is Marty Robbin's "El Paso."

Old 04-30-2016, 04:18 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
My concern though, is that I am not a fan of country music. I would go so far as to say it hurts my ears. And, I don't like rodeos, cowboy boots/hats, or any aspect of that culture. I do appreciate mexican, native american, and spanish culture, just not the traditional western stuff.
I think you need to go to a Navajo rodeo to dispel some of your stereotypes:

Home

Old 05-03-2016, 07:48 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I think you need to go to a Navajo rodeo to dispel some of your stereotypes:

Home
HA! Exactly!

The OP comes off sounding just as intolerant and ignorant as those he/she seeks to avoid.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:09 AM

503 posts, read 530,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
HA! Exactly!

The OP comes off sounding just as intolerant and ignorant as those he/she seeks to avoid.
This thread has been educational for me and I appreciate all the comments. I will admit I was completely ignorant of the multicultural roots of the modern cowboy and the existence of Navajo rodeos. Intolerant is a stretch though. I simply wanted to assess how much country music, rodeos, line dancing, etc is featured in the "Las Cruces lifestyle" because I do not enjoy or appreciate any of that.

If wine tastes like **** to you, we don't want to send you to live in Napa valley right?

Old 05-04-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:

If wine tastes like **** to you, we don't want to send you to live in Napa valley right?
New Mexico, and the Las Cruces area, has some award winning vineyards too!

As for "line dancing" - I've found that there is no finer music to dance to than Western Swing! Not all of the dancing is "line dancing" either. A great place to meet new people of the opposite sex - places with dance floors and a live band.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:29 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
This thread has been educational for me and I appreciate all the comments. I will admit I was completely ignorant of the multicultural roots of the modern cowboy and the existence of Navajo rodeos. Intolerant is a stretch though. I simply wanted to assess how much country music, rodeos, line dancing, etc is featured in the "Las Cruces lifestyle" because I do not enjoy or appreciate any of that.
I didn't think I was going to enjoy "any of that" either (coming from NY and MA) but I was wrong, I did make some friends who took me to a rodeo and CW dancing several times, and I had a great time. You never know. Especially if what bothered you about it is the idea that it was an "exclusively white" thing to do. We are very integrated in NM. Maybe half of our cowboys are Hispanic. But you should know that nobody will kidnap you and force you to learn country-western dancing. I think it would be best to keep an open mind.

Last edited by aries63; 05-04-2016 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces