Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:06 PM

27 posts, read 108,387 times

Advertisements

So, I'm most likely heading out there in may-july time frame.

I was pretty set on renting in Summerlin, going back and forth between renting an apartment v. a single family... but now the more I think of it, maybe I should rent in a high rise on/near the strip.

Being new to the area my concerns would be convenience, security and maintenance. Plus for social life I'd think being near the strip would be better when I first get there.

I've seen apartments in summerlin starting around $800, single fams starting around $1,200 and now starting to looking at places in mid or high rises... seem to have some ok prices starting around 1,200-1,500 range. Of course the really nice places are 2K and up, but I don't need overly fancy.

any advice on mid or high rises to look at? I'd prefer a place that is owned by the developer or management company, mostly due to my fear or renting a place that goes into foreclosure.

Also if anyone knows of good complexes in Summerlin I'll take that advice also, gated, security patrols are important to me, doesn't have to be fancy but must have a gas stove... and if the place has a patio or a balcony that allows me to have a grill big plus..

oh, and if any places will take a 70lb chocolate lab that's a really major selling point, but most likely I'll be leaving my dog back east with a relative who wants her.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life1975 View Post
So, I'm most likely heading out there in may-july time frame.

I was pretty set on renting in Summerlin, going back and forth between renting an apartment v. a single family... but now the more I think of it, maybe I should rent in a high rise on/near the strip.

Being new to the area my concerns would be convenience, security and maintenance. Plus for social life I'd think being near the strip would be better when I first get there.

I've seen apartments in summerlin starting around $800, single fams starting around $1,200 and now starting to looking at places in mid or high rises... seem to have some ok prices starting around 1,200-1,500 range. Of course the really nice places are 2K and up, but I don't need overly fancy.

any advice on mid or high rises to look at? I'd prefer a place that is owned by the developer or management company, mostly due to my fear or renting a place that goes into foreclosure.

Also if anyone knows of good complexes in Summerlin I'll take that advice also, gated, security patrols are important to me, doesn't have to be fancy but must have a gas stove... and if the place has a patio or a balcony that allows me to have a grill big plus..

oh, and if any places will take a 70lb chocolate lab that's a really major selling point, but most likely I'll be leaving my dog back east with a relative who wants her.

Thanks in advance!
Im going to be taking a look at the city myself when i take my trip in march, but i would recommend summerlin. its a lot safer then the strip IMO

Old 01-29-2010, 01:32 AM

8 posts, read 30,723 times
depending on where your driving for work, Summerlin can be a longer Commute. IMO Summerlin is OK, I wouldn't live there due to I don't like a 30 minute drive to the strip. Southern Highlands/Mountain's Edge/Seven Hills and Green Valley/Henderson are my recommendations. As far as High Rises, Boca raton on the South side of the strip is very nice. There is also Park Ave and Manhatten that are mini (3 story) high rises. As far as foreclosures, if you rent from an owner/property mgmt company, have them show you that their current on the mortgage. if the place is in forecloseure, the owner is suppose to tell whoever is renting. However that is not always the case. There is a site where you can check the address to see if there are defaults.
However, IMO, until this economy turns around, unless you have a job here, I would think twice about moving here IMO.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:35 AM

8 posts, read 30,723 times
I missed the part on your dog, I would never leave my dog or give him up to anyone. if I relocated, I would have to find a place with a yard where dogs are welcome and allowed inside as it it TOO HOT in summer time for a pet to be outside. Just my opinion....

Old 01-29-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnylv0316 View Post
I missed the part on your dog, I would never leave my dog or give him up to anyone. if I relocated, I would have to find a place with a yard where dogs are welcome and allowed inside as it it TOO HOT in summer time for a pet to be outside. Just my opinion....
My uncle and dog both lived with me, and the dog has spent a lot of time with him, for the first time in 70yrs he now is living by himself so him keeping my dog would be good for him emotionally and physically taking her on walks.

No, I'm not just giving my dog to a complete stranger.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:13 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,664,494 times
So get him his own dog. I wouldn't part with my three Italian Greyhounds if you held a gun to my head.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:27 AM

Thank you for the feedback, but I'm pretty sure I'm all set decided on my own what to do or not do with my dog. More importantly that you Sunny for the info on the mid rises and Boca looks really good, plus they have furnished options (although it's probably cheaper for me to drop $1000 at Ikea then rent furniture for 3-6mo.) My current bosses have asked me to hold back until at least July, which seems fair, it's only 2 more months then I originally planned and I don't see rental or housing prices sky rocketing in NV in those additional 2 mo.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:58 AM

25 posts, read 54,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life1975 View Post
Thank you for the feedback, but I'm pretty sure I'm all set decided on my own what to do or not do with my dog. More importantly that you Sunny for the info on the mid rises and Boca looks really good, plus they have furnished options (although it's probably cheaper for me to drop $1000 at Ikea then rent furniture for 3-6mo.) My current bosses have asked me to hold back until at least July, which seems fair, it's only 2 more months then I originally planned and I don't see rental or housing prices sky rocketing in NV in those additional 2 mo.
Hi - Did you make a decision? Would like to hear where you ended up living and what your thoughts are.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:22 PM

rented in the tides at bridgeside square. move in july 1st.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:23 PM

woops, didn't notice which forum this was... ended up picking Florida, I have family there I don't see often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: