Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:37 PM

7 posts, read 18,626 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to LV. Some jobs require you to have a Nevada drivers license right away and I still have an out of state license. When I apply for jobs I need to know if they are willing to let me get a Nevada drivers license. Are people willing to wait? I think, it wouldn't take long for me to get one because I have a good drivers record. Let me know if anybody encountered this in their job search. (I know you can only have one drivers license at the time.) Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 05:53 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
I believe you have only 30 days to get a Nev Dr license.....no options.....

Old 03-10-2008, 06:02 PM

697 posts, read 3,279,014 times
Yep, 30 days for plates and DLs, state law. I write about three of these citations a day it seems. Myself and other officers are being told by the brass to crack down hard on this one. The state needs the revenue generated from DMV fees. Although the ticket is more, so thats fine too, but if you are written for it, you will be forced to become a local anyways by the court. You drive our roads, so why not step up and help foot the bill to keep them safe.

From what I hear, most employers are not very lenient on this requirement. If they require it, they have good reason to.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:06 PM

59 posts, read 326,892 times
As from what I've gathered you would need a local address and phone for the employers to give you the job. I guess that means having a Nevada license will give you a great boost in getting an employment. And you shouldn't worry about the time since you can surrender your other license, pass the whatever tests they ask you, register your vehicle and you get the license same day.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:07 PM

W.T.G. CJSKI.......WRITE WRITE WRITE.......I get so tired of sitting at a stoplight on the way to work.....10 cars at the light and only 4 of em have NV license plates and ya KNOW they are going to work......

Old 03-10-2008, 06:11 PM

Hey, if I had to get "localized", so should they. We are now allowed to stop a vehicle just for having out of state plates. Thank you governor Gibbons.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:17 PM

35 posts, read 93,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
Yep, 30 days for plates and DLs, state law. I write about three of these citations a day it seems. Myself and other officers are being told by the brass to crack down hard on this one. The state needs the revenue generated from DMV fees. Although the ticket is more, so thats fine too, but if you are written for it, you will be forced to become a local anyways by the court. You drive our roads, so why not step up and help foot the bill to keep them safe.

From what I hear, most employers are not very lenient on this requirement. If they require it, they have good reason to.

This may be a stupid question (and I apologize in advanced for that), but how would one know if someone has lived in the state for more than 30 days if they still have their old drivers license/plates? Can't they just be from out of town or a student?? Or is this something that is only punishable when they come into the DMV to get their new NV license, and then I'm guessing they must provide documentation of when they moved here?? Just curious, and sorry if the answer's pretty obvious, and I'm just not seeing it.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:25 PM

It can be a grey area. When asked, a lot of people admit they have been here for a while not thinking nothing of it. Even if you are a student or tell an officer that you have just moved here, the ticket can still be written and you can deal with the court on that one. 9 times out of 10 the court date is 20 to 25 days away so you will need a local DL anyways. The court can force you to get one if they choose. There is not a student exemption in Nevada, that is just a courtesy many officers afford to students. The only exemption is military. There is not a way for me to tell if you are lying on the street so that is better left to the judges.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
Hey, if I had to get "localized", so should they. We are now allowed to stop a vehicle just for having out of state plates. Thank you governor Gibbons.
WOW....about time.......

Old 03-10-2008, 06:38 PM

72 posts, read 278,947 times
To just stop a car for having out of state plates in completely bogus imo. I'm pregnant and my sister is coming to stay with me for about a month when the baby comes this summer...guess what, she is driving from Louisiana with her Louisiana plates...she'll be having to drive in the "local areas" because that's where I live. I'll be damned if she gets stopped and gets a ticket just for going to the store for me. That's not fair. It really isn't. And I have my NV license and plates, so I can complain if I want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas