Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 17,590 times

Advertisements

"Understanding people's motivations and using critical thinking are incredible important..." that we can agree upon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 03:39 PM

515 posts, read 1,180,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
The majority of alternative medicine treatments will not be effective to you because you have been indoctrinated with beliefs suggesting otherwise.
That sounds like a ringing endorsement of the placebo effect.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:00 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewlover View Post
Let me give you a different perspective. I am a physician who is thinking to move to Vegas. I frequently read a general physician forum (physician's only) . One of the recent threads on this forum was one highly critical of physicians who practice "medicine" involving mainly alternative methods. The criticisms mainly focus on the belief that this branch of medicine is highly lucrative, and lacks an evidence-based foundation. Therefore many of the physicians on the forum thought that this form of practice was unethical and mainly pursued for the economic benefits.

Although the current process for testing drugs is certainly not infallible, at least all prescription medications have been scientifically tested for safety and effectiveness, which cannot be said for alternative medicines which can also be expensive. I do not practice alternative medicine, nor do I practice medicine involving writing prescriptions. In defense of my colleagues that do write prescriptions, it does not financially benefit them in any way and takes time and effort. Therefore, I think that physicians write prescriptions because they actually think it will benefit their patients. A physician that sells you an alternative medication/treatment most certainly profits from its sale. Do your own math. I am not saying that there are not alternative medicine docs that are not honestly trying to help their patients, but that they do profit more from selling medications and treatments than traditional medicine docs. Further although some current "alternative" medicine treatments may indeed be shown to be effective, the majority probably will not IMHO.
Actually, not all prescribed medications have been accurately tested for safety and effectiveness. Many are rushed to the consumer and then people find out later that they cause heart attacks, death and other fun things. All drugs have side effects. They vary from mild to downright frightening. Some people think it's a small price to be paid for relief. Others have the misguided belief that they take a drug and they are cured. Not so. Drugs just mask the symptoms, and once someone stops taking them, they still have the problem.

Educating ourselves in changing what we eat, drink, do (like smoking, taking illegal drugs, not exercising) does a body more good than a drug.
Don't worry Doc, you will still have plenty of sheeple to prescribe to. I just won't be one of them.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Actually, not all prescribed medications have been accurately tested for safety and effectiveness. Many are rushed to the consumer and then people find out later that they cause heart attacks, death and other fun things. All drugs have side effects. They vary from mild to downright frightening. Some people think it's a small price to be paid for relief. Others have the misguided belief that they take a drug and they are cured. Not so. Drugs just mask the symptoms, and once someone stops taking them, they still have the problem.

Educating ourselves in changing what we eat, drink, do (like smoking, taking illegal drugs, not exercising) does a body more good than a drug.
Don't worry Doc, you will still have plenty of sheeple to prescribe to. I just won't be one of them.
I agree again right here.

Major pet peeve of mine is the way the U.S. is pumping up kids with meds. Actually the way they are to old people as well.

I've found the best two cures for anything are REST and WATER. All of the meds just deplete other areas of you, make you feel like hell, and I feel they break down your immunity system from being properly able to fight off stuff things as efficiently and as quickly as it otherwise would on it's own.

I have had some natural herbs and homeopathics (sp?) types of things, that when I felt I was coming down with a cold, I would take, and suddenly ended up not getting the cold. I've never had any prescribed med ever do that for me before.

Actually PinkString is pretty much saying everything I already strongly agree with (in both of her posts), so I will leave it at that

Old 01-16-2011, 11:34 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
That sounds like a ringing endorsement of the placebo effect.
The placebo effect works for us all day long with medication and just about everything else. Ever run into someone who gets sick all the time? It's usually because they believe that's how it works for them.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 PM

699 posts, read 2,219,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch.stanton View Post
Does anyone know of any doctors in Las Vegas that are more conservative with drugs and medical procedures and more open to natural alternatives?
is there something in particular you are trying to address?

i'd be looking for an OMD, but that's me, and mostly dependent on what i need it for.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:24 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
The OP wants to find doctors that go more for natural alternatives and accept insurance. Those are really hard to find. Most alternative doctors accept cash only, and usually quite a lot. Become your own doctor. Much better and cheaper.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 PM

36 posts, read 54,662 times
I realize a doctor has a certain protocol to follow, but if I could find one that is conservative with drugs and medical procedures, accepting of my beliefs when I politely disagree with them, and open-minded when I present them with new information - that would be a good start.

The only way to find one would be through word-of-mouth, which is why I inquired here.

I do diagnose and treat myself most of the time, but it's still good to have a doctor just in case.

Last edited by arch.stanton; 01-17-2011 at 09:44 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 09:52 PM

172 posts, read 558,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewlover View Post
Let me give you a different perspective. I am a physician who is thinking to move to Vegas. I frequently read a general physician forum (physician's only) . One of the recent threads on this forum was one highly critical of physicians who practice "medicine" involving mainly alternative methods. The criticisms mainly focus on the belief that this branch of medicine is highly lucrative, and lacks an evidence-based foundation. Therefore many of the physicians on the forum thought that this form of practice was unethical and mainly pursued for the economic benefits.

Although the current process for testing drugs is certainly not infallible, at least all prescription medications have been scientifically tested for safety and effectiveness, which cannot be said for alternative medicines which can also be expensive. I do not practice alternative medicine, nor do I practice medicine involving writing prescriptions. In defense of my colleagues that do write prescriptions, it does not financially benefit them in any way and takes time and effort. Therefore, I think that physicians write prescriptions because they actually think it will benefit their patients. A physician that sells you an alternative medication/treatment most certainly profits from its sale. Do your own math. I am not saying that there are not alternative medicine docs that are not honestly trying to help their patients, but that they do profit more from selling medications and treatments than traditional medicine docs. Further although some current "alternative" medicine treatments may indeed be shown to be effective, the majority probably will not IMHO.

Here, here Dr.! I think that the average person truly believes that "natural" drugs are not dangerous and inexpensive because you can buy these "drugs" at the local GNC. This is not the case. There are many herbal supplements that have been found to cause more harm than good and have been taken off of the shelves. The most common cause of death or illness is due to patients NOT using their medications as PRESCRIBED. Be your own advocate. If you are having side effects or the meds aren't working then work with your physician to find a med/dosage that will work.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:55 PM

172 posts, read 558,896 times
PS. Osteopathic physicians are a good place to start for the OP. They do tend to look more deeply into what is going on in a patients life that may be contributing to their physical problems. Try there first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: