Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times

Advertisements

I've seen some photos randomly on this thread...Off the Vegas Strip - Page 86 - SkyscraperCity

What is that? Is that new or old? Popular?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,859,367 times
Use the search function, it's been discussed here before, and IIRC, MomMom gave her impressions and a review of a restaurant or two shortly after it opened.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:10 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,067 times
Thanks for promoting my photoblog @ Skyscrapercity, btw the Farmers Market during the weekends bring in lots of people. The area still need more restaurants but so far Im glad Tivoli Village opened. Yo Scream is a great addition especially this time of the year.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:39 PM

75 posts, read 137,993 times
The farmers market may bring in a lot of people but I wonder if it is short lived. The prices are quite high. I actually saw someone selling loaves of bread for 9 dollars a loaf. Virtually everything I saw I could buy at the grocery store for half or a third of the price. I won't go again.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:46 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlf View Post
The farmers market may bring in a lot of people but I wonder if it is short lived. The prices are quite high. I actually saw someone selling loaves of bread for 9 dollars a loaf. Virtually everything I saw I could buy at the grocery store for half or a third of the price. I won't go again.

We'll, the Tivoli Village Mgmt decided to put in the Farmers Market to bring in people. If it does not work out they will just replace it with a different event. Every Tuesday from 10AM to 1PM is a Truck show, the event will last until the first week of Sept if Im not mistaken. I like the place, looking forward to more restaurants opening, I frequent the village together with Boca Park for meals.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
We'll, the Tivoli Village Mgmt decided to put in the Farmers Market to bring in people. If it does not work out they will just replace it with a different event. Every Tuesday from 10AM to 1PM is a Truck show, the event will last until the first week of Sept if Im not mistaken. I like the place, looking forward to more restaurants opening, I frequent the village together with Boca Park for meals.
I have pictures that I took of this place on opening day somewhere here in the forums.

Between Boca and now Tivoli Village, with it's lavender lit trees and Italian music, that whole area is really, really packed every weekend! Boca was already crowded even before Tivoli was there! We had visitors in town Saturday night and we directed them to Tivioli Village, they loved it but said it was hard to find parking in the garages at Tivioli or in Boca Park, not even in the garage at Boca. They found a spot way in the big parking lot in front of the vacant Great Indoors store and walked over.

Another couple of nice sit-down restaurants would be nice in Tivoli Village, Petra and Brio are just way too crowded and the cafe is good for a quick bite on the go, imo.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:22 PM

Let me rephrase. I think Tivoli is really cool and I would go back there again. I just would'nt bother with the farmers market. I understand Tivoli's point in bringing it in, and it is working for now. I just am afraid with the high prices it won't last. I saw very few people walking out with anything.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:48 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
Thanks for promoting my photoblog @ Skyscrapercity, btw the Farmers Market during the weekends bring in lots of people. The area still need more restaurants but so far Im glad Tivoli Village opened. Yo Scream is a great addition especially this time of the year.
AH, that's you!

Cool to see a connection between that and here.

Well-done on the photos! I visit it semi-regularly, once every couple weeks, just to see what new photos you put up. Excellent work

Old 07-28-2011, 09:46 AM

33 posts, read 62,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlf View Post
Your criticism of the price is valid, but I would suggest that farmer's markets are not designed with price-competitiveness in mind, more like taste-competitiveness and a better shopping experience.

The value of a farmer's market is to provide the community with a chance to support other community members who grow and make their own food. It allows people to find out where/how their food was grown and ask questions. People get to build community with neighbors and with growers. You will find unusual varieties of food grown locally in small crop yields. Supporting farmer's markets is an investment in your own community. And the food is usually better tasting than what you can purchase at the grocery.

If it's purpose was to be competitive with grocery store prices, then we'd likely never see farmer's markets because they get discounts for purchasing in bulk. In addition, much of the food in grocery stores has government subsidies so the prices are artificially low.

As far as $9 bread--was it specialty-diet bread? I have to buy gluten-free bread and it definitely costs a lot more than regular bread.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:19 AM

I understand what you are saying about the farmers market experience, but I can tell you the same vendors serve the farmers market on rampart and vegas just down the road on Wednesday nights and the prices are not nearly as high.
I also purchase numerous items from the various farmers markets that are much cheaper than the grocery stores and usually much better. Face it corn on the cob is corn on the cob. There are no subsidies going on with the stores. I can buy it at the store for anywhere from .25 each to .69 each. At the farmers market it was 1.00 each. The stand was from California, I don't consider that to be local.
As far as the bread goes I didn't pay attention if they were specialty's or not. There were several varieties and they went from about 5 bucks a loaf to 9 bucks a loaf.
I wonder if Tivoli is charging them for the stands being there and if maybe that is higher than normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas