Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 02:22 PM

255 posts, read 361,533 times

Advertisements

I live in a gated community in Southern Highlands that has only one exit.

For over a month now, the knob to the pedestrian gate has been missing. Normally to get out, you would have to punch in a code, the gate would unlock, and you would then turn the knob to open the gate and exit. But with the knob missing, there is no way to open the gate to exit.

In addition to the knob being missing, the punch keys no longer work so you can't attempt to unlock the gate and reach through it to open it using the knob on the outside of the gate. The gate is now in a permanent locked state so there is now no easy way for pedestrians to exit the complex.

I've used the gate daily when I took my dogs for a walk, but now make it a habit to carry the remote control for the main gate that cars use to enter and exit. Although this is indeed an inconvenience, I can at least get out of the complex.

My concern is for the many young kids in the complex who have to walk to and from school. I see them standing there waiting for a car to come by so that they can quickly run through the main gate before it closes behind the car that just entered or exited. For them it is more than just an inconvenience; it's a safety hazard.

I've talked to the complex security and they said that it has been reported to the HOA. I've contacted the HOA myself a couple of times now, but even though they state that they will send someone out to investigate and fix the problem, it's been over a month now and nothing has changed.

The pedestrian gate continues to remain without a knob and permanently locked.

Is this a city code violation? Is there anything else that you feel I can do to get this problem addressed and fixed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 02:31 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,424 times
That is a problem in a lot of gated communities. They locked gates get tampered with by people that don't live there. They want in obviously. The HOA does not want to spend the money to fix it.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:45 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,318 times
I have the opposite problem... the HOA just put in a new gate... no one has the code as yet

Old 12-14-2011, 02:56 PM

932 posts, read 2,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosati View Post

Is this a city code violation?
Southern Highlands isn't within the city limits, is it?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:15 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Quote:

For over a month now, the knob to the pedestrian gate has been missing. Normally to get out, you would have to punch in a code, the gate would unlock, and you would then turn the knob to open the gate and exit. But with the knob missing, there is no way to open the gate to exit.

In addition to the knob being missing, the punch keys no longer work so you can't attempt to unlock the gate and reach through it to open it using the knob on the outside of the gate. The gate is now in a permanent locked state so there is now no easy way for pedestrians to exit the complex.

I've used the gate daily when I took my dogs for a walk, but now make it a habit to carry the remote control for the main gate that cars use to enter and exit. Although this is indeed an inconvenience, I can at least get out of the complex.

My concern is for the many young kids in the complex who have to walk to and from school. I see them standing there waiting for a car to come by so that they can quickly run through the main gate before it closes behind the car that just entered or exited. For them it is more than just an inconvenience; it's a safety hazard.

I've talked to the complex security and they said that it has been reported to the HOA. I've contacted the HOA myself a couple of times now, but even though they state that they will send someone out to investigate and fix the problem, it's been over a month now and nothing has changed.

Is this a city code violation? Is there anything else that you feel I can do to get this problem addressed and fixed?
There has to be a number sequence that you can enter on the call box to open the entrance/exit gate manually. Like **1313 or something like that.
The auto entrance gates don't just open with a clicker.

Tell the parents to give the kids the number code so that when they come home they can manually open the large auto entrance gate by punching in the code numbers until the time that the pedestrian gate is fixed.

Southern Highlands is not City of Las Vegas, it is unincorporated Clark County

Last edited by MomMom; 12-14-2011 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-14-2011, 03:25 PM

207 posts, read 509,603 times
Quote:

Have you contacted the community manager directly? I've found them to be generally responsive. Is there a phone number on the gate for service? Maybe you can call the service company directly if they have a contract with the community it may speed things up. The one time I've seen a gate issue it was fixed the same day.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:53 PM

Location: Undisclosed location in the American desert Southwest
188 posts, read 482,709 times
Olympia Management, the so called 'management' company for Southern Highlands is one of the worst, most bureaucratic messes I have ever seen. I wouldn't expect for this to ever be resolved. Honestly, the people that work there are worse than useless. They don't do anything and collect big paychecks. They are located at 11411 Southern Highlands Pkwy. Go in there and demand an answer and a solution. Don't let them intimidate you. JERKS

Old 12-14-2011, 04:01 PM

207 posts, read 509,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaned View Post
Olympia Management, the so called 'management' company for Southern Highlands is one of the worst, most bureaucratic messes I have ever seen. I wouldn't expect for this to ever be resolved. Honestly, the people that work there are worse than useless. They don't do anything and collect big paychecks. They are located at 11411 Southern Highlands Pkwy. Go in there and demand an answer and a solution. Don't let them intimidate you. JERKS
I'm sure it depends on the circumstances, but I've had good experiences with them and always received prompt answers to my questions. Something like the OP's issue will be handled by the local neighborhood community manager, though, not Southern Highlands. I agree one month is far too long for a simple but problematic issue like that to continue.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:42 PM

152 posts, read 377,126 times
Quote:

It is an HOA issue. Sic em. That sort of thing should be fixed right away and refixied and refixed if needed.

It is not So. Highlands. It is the local HOA. Find out who is on the board and talk to them about it. If they don't step right up harass them. That is how you get things done.

If all else fails take some tools, open the gate and fix it so it stays open. Normally if you just pull the Actuators out that fixes it. Then you will get all those worried about security trying to get the gate fixed.

There is always a way...

Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
ditto.........I would figure out a way to get that gate unlocked and stay that way too. Gates are a very feeble and false security for neighborhoods anyway. Hop over the gate, wait for a car to enter bingo you're in.

The children's safety would be my primary concern and I would be raising a ruckus till the darn thing is fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: