Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:11 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times
Take it FWIW, but I think that you're dealing with a very cut n dry case on the criminal side that any semi competent attorney can get reduced to a misdemeanor. You (she) could probably get it reduced without representation.

I'm all for high dollar legal representation when the case warrants it. I mean I know guys that have committed the exact same crime (white collar securities fraud type stuff): One pays a $100,000 retainer and the other gets el cheapo attorney, i.e. the guy that doesn't golf with the judge, guess which one is in jail?

Talk to another Attorney if you (she) cant afford the guy you called. That or tell the PD no deal and go to trial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 12:24 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Take it FWIW, but I think that you're dealing with a very cut n dry case on the criminal side that any semi competent attorney can get reduced to a misdemeanor. You (she) could probably get it reduced without representation.

I'm all for high dollar legal representation when the case warrants it. I mean I know guys that have committed the exact same crime (white collar securities fraud type stuff): One pays a $100,000 retainer and the other gets el cheapo attorney, i.e. the guy that doesn't golf with the judge, guess which one is in jail?

Talk to another Attorney if you (she) cant afford the guy you called. That or tell the PD no deal and go to trial.
Thanks for the advice. Perhaps I am slow, but I still can't figure out what this thing will cost, people are talking about attorney's fees, court costs, restitution, etc...I assume the more you pay to a lawyer the less you pay to the Court or the victim.

Anger management classes, does one do this voluntarily ASAP or does the Court impose it.

How much total am I looking at?

The pd does not even return calls and wont give an email address.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:29 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post

Always good to know that everything is completely broken in the legal system...

Old 12-17-2011, 06:53 AM

437 posts, read 792,652 times
What really happened other than "typical chick fight"?

Old 12-17-2011, 07:42 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Thanks for the advice. Perhaps I am slow, but I still can't figure out what this thing will cost, people are talking about attorney's fees, court costs, restitution, etc...I assume the more you pay to a lawyer the less you pay to the Court or the victim.

Anger management classes, does one do this voluntarily ASAP or does the Court impose it.

Voluntarily makes it look better. Start doing that stuff now. I still think you're more worried then you should be. But a 3 year deferred would cost a little bit of money and it's the money they are after. They are kinda known especially now for not giving jail time but imposing max fines right now. They let you make payments but still.

Read this:
NRS: CHAPTER 200 - CRIMES AGAINST THE PERSON

I think the 3 years deferred is what she gets anyways.That PD is not getting a deal at all. As I said, if it is a first time offense with no priors it should just be a misdemeanor. Probably shop for a lawyer.

Remember how I originally told you never get legal advice from people over the internet though.It's free to talk to a lawyer, you're potentially going to pay them some money.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:

You're looking at a minimum of $250/hr for an attorney and his/her bills will be nickeled and dimed down to the minute to account for every letter and every telephone call.

Even if the defendant is found not guilty in criminal court, the woman who she injured will still have a case in civil court where she can claim for actual medical expenses along with pain and suffering. The preponderance of evidence isn't so great as in criminal court and if the defendant IS found guilty of the criminal charges, this is definitely taken into consideration in civil court.

If the young lady feels she needs anger management classes then she should go for them. This may be looked upon favorably by the Court when it comes to sentencing but shouldn't be assumed. In some cases the Court will order such classes be attended as part of the sentencing.

It matters not that the young lady is broke when it comes to restitution. If a judgement is rendered against her, her future wages can be garnished and the garnishment will go on her credit record and make it virtually impossible for her to obtain credit (or a good credit reference) in the future.

The Public Defender will not talk to you because he is not representing you. Attorneys only speak to the person who they're representing or the person who's paying for their services (if different from the client).

How come your shipmate isn't taking care of this for his sister? Does she not have any other family to assist her?

Old 12-18-2011, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the information. I am in Thailand so it's hard doing this stuff from the other side of the world.

I found a guy who will do it for 3k up to a potential trial. He sounded competent and stated that it should be a relatively routine matter to get the charge reduced to a misdemeanor on the front end. He was nice enough to charge my CC within three minutes of getting off the phone with me on a Sunday am.

This is ideal.

Any potential civil liability is of no concern to me.

I only wish to avoid a young person being labeled a felon and suffering all of the life long consequences associated with it.

Last edited by Datafeed; 12-18-2011 at 05:41 PM..

Old 12-18-2011, 05:31 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Maybe the young person needs to suffer the consequences of her actions so she doesn't think it's okay to engage in violence.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Maybe the young person needs to suffer the consequences of her actions so she doesn't think it's okay to engage in violence.
ehh, two drunk chicks tossing drinks at each other in the club should not be a felony in my book. People should not fight, I agree, but our system of justice is heavily flawed, unfair, and basically if you have money most things barring 1st degree homicide can go away.

A felony is very serious and essentially condemns one to the margins of our society for life--low wage jobs, no participation in the political process, etc.

I've lost my cool and floored a drunk dude on Strip before for slapping my girl's butt, being a general nuisance, and then getting in my face. The cop didn't even cite me, if he did, I guess I would have been charged with assault, lost my security clearance and job, and whatever else.

I'm against violence most of the time, and laws should be followed, but the punishment should fit the crime.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:59 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
ehh, two drunk chicks tossing drinks at each other in the club should not be a felony in my book. People should not fight, I agree, but our system of justice is heavily flawed, unfair, and basically if you have money most things barring 1st degree homicide can go away.

A felony is very serious and essentially condemns one to the margins of our society for life--low wage jobs, no participation in the political process, etc.

I've lost my cool and floored a drunk dude on Strip before for slapping my girl's butt, being a general nuisance, and then getting in my face. The cop didn't even cite me, if he did, I guess I would have been charged with assault, lost my security clearance and job, and whatever else.

I'm against violence most of the time, and laws should be followed, but the punishment should fit the crime.
If the other person suffered bodily harm requiring a CT scan it was more than drinks being thrown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas