Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 04:43 PM

291 posts, read 452,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
1. Buzz just happens to be a very knowledgeable and valued person in here. He is only trying to help.

2. If you do not want his help, then fine.

3. Just do not insult him.

4. We try to help the newbies to the valley find a decent and safe enough area to start off in. From there, you would scout out the other area's in your free time and eventually find a place better suited to you.
1. That's been my impression from the start. I'm only saying that I reserve the right to maintain an independent analytic attitude toward whatever information is proffered by anyone. I think it would be a better world if everybody did that.

2. Never said that.

3. I don't believe I did that. He doesn't strike me as the hypersensitive type so I'm assuming he's not devastated.

4. Your help is greatly appreciated. I just wish I could afford the safest place in town. Money is the big constaint. Obviously it's going to involve some kind of compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 06:31 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
We got four airports. The big ones of McCarran and Nellis Airforce and the smaller ones of North Las Vegas and Henderson. You will suffer to some degree or another if you live close to any one.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:48 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
We got four airports. The big ones of McCarran and Nellis Airforce and the smaller ones of North Las Vegas and Henderson. You will suffer to some degree or another if you live close to any one.
The little private airport next to McCarran(forgot the name), is that a separate airport or is it part of McCarran?

Old 12-20-2011, 07:37 AM

Default Useful Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by repru View Post
1. One of the oddities of Las Vegas is you can't tell a lot about a neighborhood by its look. A number of the somewhat rundown ethnic neighborhoods are far safer than some of the rather nice looking areas surrounding UNLV. Crime here is driven much more by drugs than by skin color.

2. For accurate information use the Las Vegas metro crime map. Note that map works only in the City of Las Vegas and the unincorporated part of Clark County. Henderson and NLV have their own crime maps.

3. As to the airport the prime noise impact area is the west end of the east west runways. That is the classical departure route for most weather conditions. There is a map available through the county that actually shows the noise impact areas. Other takeoff directions are used much more lightly.
1. I lived near the UNM campus in Albuquerque and it was all very upscale and peaceful. That may be why I'm having a hard time understanding what all the fuss is about regarding the area around UNLV. I'm trying to process a whole lot of anecdotal information which is often contradictory. I'm seeing it in Google streetview and it looks like what you'd expect a student quarter to look like. Nothing fancy but definitely not a slum. So are you saying that the proximity of the campus encourages the drug trade or that it's just coincidence?

2. Found it! This looks much more useful than sorting through dozens of personal horror stories.

3. The only county map I could find shows all of the metro area as being affected by aircraft noise without any gradations of intensity. Not much help. In this case specific information like avoiding the west end of the E/W runways is more useful. But then I wasn't planning on spending much time at the Bali Hai Golf Club anyway.

Incidentally, it's nice to see that there's a very attentive moderator on this forum. Now I know it's unnecessary to trade insults with trolls but rather simply wait until they're deleted. It really detracts from the coherence of a thread to have these blighters taking irrelevant pot shots out of the blue. Good to know someone takes moderating seriously.

Last edited by SelflessGene; 12-20-2011 at 08:08 AM..

Old 12-20-2011, 08:06 AM

Default Cool Crime Map

Oh hey, I found a neighborhood crime map at this site:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Turns out the safest place to be is somewhere atop Mt. Charleston.

Oh, I need to say something about airports to stay on topic. Flying is fun but the TSA spoils it for everyone.

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 06:16 AM..

Old 12-20-2011, 08:38 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
the business terminal on the west side is part of McCarran....[Hughes Executive Terminal.....there is also a tiny strip that everyone forgets. It lays directly EAST of McCarran and is owned by the Las Vegas Vocational Technical high school.....it's RARELY [if ever] used but is still an airport.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:43 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
the business terminal on the west side is part of McCarran....[Hughes Executive Terminal.....there is also a tiny strip that everyone forgets. It lays directly EAST of McCarran and is owned by the Las Vegas Vocational Technical high school.....it's RARELY [if ever] used but is still an airport.
You talking about the mesa? Didn't Vo-Tech move somewhere else?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelflessGene View Post
1. I lived near the UNM campus in Albuquerque and it was all very upscale and peaceful. That may be why I'm having a hard time understanding what all the fuss is about regarding the area around UNLV. I'm trying to process a whole lot of anecdotal information which is often contradictory. I'm seeing it in Google streetview and it looks like what you'd expect a student quarter to look like. Nothing fancy but definitely not a slum. So are you saying that the proximity of the campus encourages the drug trade or that it's just coincidence?

2. Found it! This looks much more useful than sorting through dozens of personal horror stories.

3. The only county map I could find shows all of the metro area as being affected by aircraft noise without any gradations of intensity. Not much help. In this case specific information like avoiding the west end of the E/W runways is more useful. But then I wasn't planning on spending much time at the Bali Hai Golf Club anyway.

Incidentally, it's nice to see that there's a very attentive moderator on this forum. Now I know it's unnecessary to trade insults with trolls but rather simply wait until they're deleted. It really detracts from the coherence of a thread to have these blighters taking irrelevant pot shots out of the blue. Good to know someone takes moderating seriously.
SOME of the area near UNM is upscale although much older than anything you'll find here. There is also a lot of crime around the UNM campus. There is really not much comparison between Las Vegas and Albuquerque. Albuquerque is over 300 years old with 900 year old Indian communities thrown into the mix. Las Vegas is just 106, and 3/4 of it was built in the past 20 years. You'll find comparisons to Las Vegas in parts of Albuq. like the far NW, and a lot of Rio Rancho, and now parts of Bernalillo. But architecture here is very different. The older areas of town are mostly Mid-mod, and there is almost no Pueblo Revival or Territorial style here. The newer parts are more like the newer parts of SoCal. Even the foliage and is way different even though both use mostly desert landscaping. You just can't compare Las Vegas to anything as there is no other city like it, and you can't tell by looking at maps. You just have to be here. It's probably best to use a rental service. Shouldn't cost you anything as the landlord should pay any fees. Or find a place you can rent month to month and do your looking after you get here and see the situation up close and personal.

But don't sweat the airport. Waste of effort. And the reason you find more crime around the 'U' is because there are a lot of OLD apartments around that area. Old means cheap. Cheap means low life people. I understand they have the same problem at USC, and I know there is some of that near UNM as I lived in Albq. myself. And I know that not all low income people are low lifes, but low life people tend to not work and they take over low rent places. So, as if being broke isn't bad enough, low income people might end up living in fear too.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
You'll also see planes from all over parked there for maintenance near the Hughes Terminal, and I think that's a Hughes business too.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You talking about the mesa? Didn't Vo-Tech move somewhere else?
they may have, I haven't kept up with it.....they may have closed that little strip now.....I was lookin at OLDE aero charts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas