Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:12 PM

421 posts, read 898,712 times

Advertisements

I've been in the new house for a week now and since it was a repo I don't know how long ago the filters were changed. Home Depot and Lowes don't carry them. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 12:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
After looking for a year, I finally had to take my system out because I couldn't find replacement filters. The company that made the original equipment had gone out of business.

But keep on looking for a while. If you find them, buy several.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
I've been in the new house for a week now and since it was a repo I don't know how long ago the filters were changed. Home Depot and Lowes don't carry them. Any suggestions?
There are a handful of companies in the valley that specialize in RO. You'll need to call them. I'd post some phone numbers if that was allowed.

I've had the same problem, and my system was made by GE. I had to wait for GE to run a batch of membranes, just so I could buy two.

If your water tastes like bottled water, your membranes are still good. (They are supposed to last a year or two, depending on how effective the pre-filters are.) If the water has that chalky, baking-soda and salt Las Vegas water taste, then it's the membranes.

You can also buy a Total Dissolved Solids meter fairly inexpensively to test your system. Once the TDS reads over your threshold for taste, call for new membranes.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 PM

399 posts, read 694,103 times
I was in the same boat as you buying a foreclosed home. I called a water company out of the book and they came out and tested the water using a Total Dissolved Solids Meter and said the filter system was still going it's job and did not need replacing. I was told that the filters are expensive - @$300 each and I was told the company could get them for me when they need replacing. I would imagine you could buy them online also. If you want the company name and number I used, send me a private message and I will be happy to forward. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 PM

542 posts, read 986,668 times
The filter numbers your system takes should be printed on a sticker, somewhere on the main unit. IF you have to, take the filter jugs off the main housing (After releasing the pressure), and get the numbers off the filters themselves.

I just did mine a few months ago. Cost ~$100 (I was quoted $300 as well, by the manufacturers rep). I googled the filter numbers (Mine took 4 filters), and they came up on this site the cheapest. RO filters are usually good for 3 years or so, so the $100 is well worth it.

Its a stupidly easy job to do yourself. Takes 10min of work time, then 30min of running the water to flush the filters.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 PM

82 posts, read 203,661 times
Talk to http://www.water-tec.com/ They should be able to help you.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:39 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
What kind is it? I get mine at Sears or waterfiltersonline.com.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:10 PM

421 posts, read 898,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
What kind is it? I get mine at Sears or waterfiltersonline.com.
That's the hard thing Buzz - no name on the system only says made in USA. The tank is Amtrol

Old 02-09-2012, 03:17 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
That's the hard thing Buzz - no name on the system only says made in USA. The tank is Amtrol
Did you try turning it off and taking the filters out? It should tell you the type on the filter. You'd probably want to replace the membrane filter too. Big 'G' only knows how long it might have been in there.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:48 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,346,441 times
It also depends upon the system. I have a Kinetico system in my home and they use proprietary filters that aren't available from anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas