Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:21 PM

22 posts, read 82,078 times

Advertisements

Is anyone here familiar with the cab / taxi business in Las Vegas? What are the job prospects at the moment? Could someone make a decent living starting as a driver right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 09:35 PM

74 posts, read 147,954 times
I am not sure why but there's alot of disdain regarding cab drivers in Vegas. Couple bad apples spoiled the whole orchard.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
I saw a story on the news sometime within the last week about cab driver's. They were all together and complaining about not getting enough work to survive. Too many cab driver's and not enough tourists. So good luck with that.
A better option: A bus driver.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:52 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaaron22 View Post
Is anyone here familiar with the cab / taxi business in Las Vegas? What are the job prospects at the moment? Could someone make a decent living starting as a driver right now?
Forget about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I saw a story on the news sometime within the last week about cab driver's. They were all together and complaining about not getting enough work to survive. Too many cab driver's and not enough tourists. So good luck with that.
A better option: A bus driver.
Yep, here it is:

Cab drivers protest too many taxis on Las Vegas roads - www.ktnv.com

Old 02-15-2012, 06:04 AM

106 posts, read 117,013 times
Spaaron22, first hello to everyone been lurking here for a long time.

After the company I worked for went in the tank last September because of the economy I screwed around until December and decided to renew my taxi cab permit for lack of finding another job and not wanting to collect an unemployment check. Never been on it and don't want to start.

I was hired by we'll call it blue company, went and did the test and all the other stuff that goes with getting your permit, it's going to cost you about $100 bucks + DOT physical and map book.

If your hired and work nights here's what you can expect, long taxi staging lines at the hotels, most are out in the street now, lots of short rides during show breaks etc. Very frustrating driving around looking for a place to sit. The doorman game hasn't changed, strip club rides will get shuffled to the limo guys and if you do get one be prepared to fill out 1099's. And everyone wants a tip so your paying out money and paying taxes on money you don't keep.

Competition amongst drivers is fierce, your anger control or tolerance is going to have to be very high. Trust me if you drive you'll see.

Days are not much different, it can move a bit better since you have the airport action, still hard sometimes to get on a stand but your chances are better.

Be very careful who you choose to work for, I quit last Wednesday because the pressure was to much for me, I like to sleep at night and still have a conscience, I enjoy people and the job, I believe in a hard days work for an honest days pay pure and simple. For this reason alone I just can't do what the company will not tell me to do in a direct way. If you cannot keep up with the top bookers, the one's that make this news and long haul everyone without thinking about it. You'll be getting low book notices and old ****ty cabs and eventually fired. The indirect way of pushing you to conform or be cast out. It's a rough way to live and can ruin your home life.

Tips will range from 30-60 a day and nights can be better if your lucky, there's just to many cabs now to make the good coin like the old days. Your check every 2 weeks will average $700 to $800 assuming your at least average on the book.

If I were you and considering this as a way of making a living, I'd take an R-Cab and learn the city with a company that has the volume of radio work, your away from the strip and the frustration. It will take you a few but if you build a good client base you can do quite good with the locals. Probably company Yellow would be a good choice and much less pressure.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just give you some insight to how it really is.

One more thing, when you first start your extra board, you'll be working 12 hours a day up to 6 days a week until you get a shift, which could take as little as a week up to months depending on your attitude and work ethic. Sp be prepared for some long days.

Good luck,
B.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:58 AM

bthp223, thanks for the thorough post! I knew another cab driver who claimed you could make $75,000 a year in Vegas. Maybe his numbers are a little off...

Were you able to choose your hours? Could you theoretically only work days if you wanted?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:11 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
you work what they want you to work and where you want to work......Cab Driving 'back in the day" was great.....NOW.....with some companies, the lowest booking driver does not work the next day....

75k a year is history, unless you count kickbacks from hookers etc......

Old 02-15-2012, 03:19 PM

My friend who is a taxi driver said that you could get $350 a night in Vegas. Is this remotely true?

Old 02-15-2012, 03:27 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaaron22 View Post
My friend who is a taxi driver said that you could get $350 a night in Vegas. Is this remotely true?

LOL, maybe he meant a week.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
There is a saying in the cab industry with respect to how much ya make in tips and commissions.....

FIRST LIAR DOESN'T STAND A CHANCE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas