Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,692 times

Advertisements

I'm still mad.

We have been looking at homes and, yesterday, decided to put an offer on one.

Our original real estate agent, the wife of a colleague of my husband's, showed us some houses, but felt that we were too far away to provide us with good service and referred us to an associate closer to us. They are sharing the commission.

The 2nd agent (actually, a husband/wife team) told us that their office charges a $400 transaction fee at close of escrow. I kinda flipped out on him during the conversation. He told me that the office charges it and that if we do not pay it, he has to pay it himself. He said at one point, "We got to keep our lights on somehow."

My response to that was that in the past, the "lights" were paid out of the commission. The listing agent's office got half, and that was split with the listing agent's broker who, in turn, kept "the lights on" with the commissions from the agents who work under his or her broker's license. The same arrangement is in the buyer's agent's office.

He told me that everyone charges it now. Maybe some small mom and pop shops don't, but that is not the norm. I finally told him that I was going to check around to see if this was the industry standard now. If it is, then it is. From what I have read, some companies do charge this and it does come out of the agents fee if they do not get it from the client.

Now, I am between a rock and a hard place. We care about our original agent. We really like her husband who my husband works with.

Is this an industry standard? I think it is BS and a way for the corporate office to increase their bottom line, but we do not want to cause a strain in our relationship with our original agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 AM

180 posts, read 391,580 times
We were charged a 350 fee and it was supposed to be for "record keeping"

Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,636,745 times
What is $450 on a $150,000 deal.. didly squat!
if it helps the deal move along, just pay it!

Jonathan

Old 02-21-2012, 08:51 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,988,924 times
This transaction fee pays for the office staff who actually write the deal and handle closing. (The agent can't be bothered, usually. Easier to dish that off to someone else.)

During the boom, this fee was absorbed by the buyer's agent. But now that a "deal" usually means a $3-5K commission that must be split between the broker and agent, this fee is often passed on to the buyer.

The agent should have spelled this out in the agency contract. (Did you sign an agency contract?). Your agents know that you'll eventually cave and pay the money just to "move the deal along." But this is just another example of why I don't use real estate agents.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,154,517 times
We got charged all kinds of ridiculous nonsense charges at closing. Some as low as $12 and as high as $600. I could have disputed every single penny on the final bill but I told myself why bother. Plus I didn't need the headache. Maybe that $12 put food on a family's table somewhere.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,055 times
Pretty much is standard nowadays. $400 is within range. My feelings are the same as yours, you're already getting thousands of dollars in commission and this feels like nickle and diming.

My biggest problem is NOBODY tells you this upfront so it isn't until you've found a home and are emotionally invested in both the home and the agent, then they spring it on you. If they told you up front, this fee would disappear quickly since it would be price shopped. Redfin partner agents in Vegas give 15% of their commission back to the buyer, which is more than the $400 transaction fee, so I know it's not "required" to keep the lights on.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 AM

421 posts, read 898,401 times
Just paid 400.00 for mine and am paying 350.00 in California as a seller

Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,154,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
This transaction fee pays for the office staff who actually write the deal and handle closing. (The agent can't be bothered, usually. Easier to dish that off to someone else.)

During the boom, this fee was absorbed by the buyer's agent. But now that a "deal" usually means a $3-5K commission that must be split between the broker and agent, this fee is often passed on to the buyer.

The agent should have spelled this out in the agency contract. (Did you sign an agency contract?). Your agents know that you'll eventually cave and pay the money just to "move the deal along." But this is just another example of why I don't use real estate agents.
Some of my in-laws don't use real estate agents either. They use other family members that used to have a RE license. Does seem like its more of a hassle to buy without an agent though. Definitely much easier during the boom, now, not so much.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:06 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,988,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Some of my in-laws don't use real estate agents either. They use other family members that used to have a RE license. Does seem like its more of a hassle to buy without an agent though. Definitely much easier during the boom, now, not so much.
Actually, it's much LESS of a hassle. It's more work, but less hassle. The only surprises come from the listing broker. That removes half of the headaches right there. You spend a lot less time waiting for phone calls to be returned, as well.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:17 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,527 times
The fee has always been there. The commission split with the broker goes to the broker. It is his profit. The fee is for office and help expenses. In the past the agents and brokers split the fees and paid them out of commissions. But that was when houses were selling at huge markups and so fast even a bad sales person could sell many in a week. Now they are more stingy because they might sell only 1 house in a week and only make $2000 out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas