Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:07 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,445 times

Advertisements

"Runoff into Lake Powell that began in mid-May reached 60,000 cubic feet per second. The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation reports that lake levels will continue to climb a foot a day into late June, hitting a peak elevation of 3,616 feet."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865604677/Lake-Powell-rising-a-foot-every-day.html

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 11:33 AM

555 posts, read 1,259,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
"Runoff into Lake Powell that began in mid-May reached 60,000 cubic feet per second. The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation reports that lake levels will continue to climb a foot a day into late June, hitting a peak elevation of 3,616 feet."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865604677/Lake-Powell-rising-a-foot-every-day.html

Bill

Hey, we'll take all the water we can get, lol

Old 06-09-2014, 01:59 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I think this was a good snow year in the rockies. But you'll need a few more of those out there to really move the needle on Lake Mead.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:09 PM

347 posts, read 511,885 times
Yesterday was the first day in many months that the level in Lake Mead stayed the same as the previous day at 1086.34

Bureau of Reclamation: Lower Colorado Region

Old 06-09-2014, 03:33 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
In 1983 they waited too long to release water from Lake Powel and nearly took out Hoover Dam in the process. Although I don't know how much it would take to really cause damage, it was a spectacular sight seeing all the water rush over the spillways on each side of the dam and come out below. It did a lot of damage to marinas and boat docks from here to Mexico. Some Bureau of Reclamation guy made a huge error in his predictions before opening the gates on Glen Canyon Dam. Most environmentalists see Lake Powell as doing more harm than good, and would like to blow up Glen Canyon Dam. But for now it is sort of our back up. In the days when all those dams were built, many people think the Army Corps of Engineers just wanted to dam every river in order to justify their existence in peacetime.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Witch View Post
Hey, we'll take all the water we can get, lol

Now hold on there, Kitchen Witch. We really only want to make sure our allotment is still there after everyone else takes theirs, and that ours still tastes good. We get the lowest allotment of Colorado River water of any of the seven states. Since before the 1920s, at least way before Hoover Dam was an idea that some dam engineer started getting off on, those states were arguing over that water, which is the story of every part of the west. It's not do we have enough. It's where is it and who controls it.

But we don't want to see the dam overflow now do we? I saw the mistake of 1983 when they dam near took out the dam dam. It was fun to watch, but it was also scary; especially if you lived down river. Not sure, but I think there are still lawsuits going on over that mistake from here to way down in Mexico.

When the allotments were made a lot of mistakes were made, and very few people predicted the growth in, especially, Nevada, California, and Arizona. The reason we got the smallest allocation was we had almost no agricultural needs.

People should get a bit of history by reading this. Colorado River Compact - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-09-2014, 04:50 PM

555 posts, read 1,259,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Now hold on there, Kitchen Witch. We really only want to make sure our allotment is still there after everyone else takes theirs, and that ours still tastes good. We get the lowest allotment of Colorado River water of any of the seven states. Since before the 1920s, at least way before Hoover Dam was an idea that some dam engineer started getting off on, those states were arguing over that water, which is the story of every part of the west. It's not do we have enough. It's where is it and who controls it.

But we don't want to see the dam overflow now do we? I saw the mistake of 1983 when they dam near took out the dam dam. It was fun to watch, but it was also scary; especially if you lived down river. Not sure, but I think there are still lawsuits going on over that mistake from here to way down in Mexico.

When the allotments were made a lot of mistakes were made, and very few people predicted the growth in, especially, Nevada, California, and Arizona. The reason we got the smallest allocation was we had almost no agricultural needs.

People should get a bit of history by reading this. Colorado River Compact - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember it well when they let the water out through the spillways in the 80's and the damage that ensued.

I don't think anyone could have predicted the growth of Southern Nevada. It still surprises me that here in town, builders keep on building and people keep on coming to live here.

Last edited by Kitchen Witch; 06-09-2014 at 05:20 PM..

Old 06-09-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Witch View Post
I remember it well when they let the water out through the spillways in the 80's and the damage that ensued.

I don't think anyone could have predicted the growth of Southern Nevada. It still surprises me that here in town, builders keep on building and people keep on coming to live here.
Me too, but what gets me is how the government allows it and still complains about the water situation. Says to me there is no water situation. I repeat what I said in another post - it depends on where the water is and who controls it. I read that there is no more or no less water on this planet than has ever been or ever will be.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
The problem is water distribution, not amount.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:59 PM

210 posts, read 449,521 times
Desalination anyone? Why isn't more wildly used in the coastal areas here in the US?

The story of the West is the story of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas