Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:40 PM

43 posts, read 209,304 times

Advertisements

I'm mulling over the possibility of buying and using a car in Las Vegas and having it registered in my home state of Alaska. The only reason I am considering this is because Nevada law will not accept out of state liability car insurance for vehicles registered in Nevada. I'm sure there are exceptions for car rentals. I own a vacation condo in Las Vegas.

If I register the Nevada vehicle in Alaska, I should be able to use my existing Alaska insurance in Nevada. My permanent address is in Alaska and I will be keeping my Alaska Driver's License.

Would I be violating any laws by doing that?

If I could use my out of state insurance, I wouldn't even hesitate to register the vehicle in Nevada. But if I have to carry a seperate policy for Nevada, it will cause more hassle and cost than it's worth. I'll just continue to rent cars when I visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 PM

553 posts, read 1,208,380 times
You can probably just call the DMV to ask your question directly (and anonymously), but I think the answer is that if the car is going to be here all the time, you will have to register it here. I know that if you are a resident here, you have to register the car within 30 days of your residency. As I understand things, the penalties for failing to register a car here are pretty $tiff.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:50 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
Have you spoken to your insurance agent about this? Maybe they have the answer.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:29 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,191 times
I really dont think that is going to be possible OP, that really is counter to the reason we have to register our cars here.

you're going to need to reg that vehicle and either switch over your insurance to one that covers both states or you will need to get a local policy for that local vehicle.

FWIW, how the heck would you register a car in Alaska when you won't have the car there?

is this Byron?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,067 times
If you are not a legal resident of Nevada, by all means don't register the vehicle here. Register it in Alaska and you can continue to use your existing insurance. As long as you are just "visiting" you are in good shape with Nevada DMV.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:52 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
If you are not a legal resident of Nevada, by all means don't register the vehicle here. Register it in Alaska and you can continue to use your existing insurance. As long as you are just "visiting" you are in good shape with Nevada DMV.
Only if the vehicle won't be operated more than 30 days per year.....

Nevada Vehicle Registration
Quote:
Non-Residents

Certain non-residents also must register their vehicles in Nevada. You must register your vehicle here:
  • if your vehicle is operated in Nevada for more than 30 days in a calendar year
  • if you engage in a trade, profession or occupation or accept gainful employment in Nevada
  • if you enroll your children in a public school in Nevada
  • if you furnish a vehicle to a Nevada resident for continuous use here

Old 04-09-2013, 08:37 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Only if the vehicle won't be operated more than 30 days per year.....

Nevada Vehicle Registration
I wonder why my neighbors, who live fulltime here, have been driving two pickup trucks with Texas plates for more than a year and a half?

Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,087 times
^^^^
Military maybe?

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-09-2013, 11:20 AM

901 posts, read 1,898,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
I wonder why my neighbors, who live fulltime here, have been driving two pickup trucks with Texas plates for more than a year and a half?
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
^^^^
Military maybe?
If they are violating the law, they better hope that they don't p1ss you or someone else off.

Report Vehicle Registration Violations

Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 PM

39 posts, read 62,832 times
For me, the bigger question isn't if DMV will accept it, it is what happens if I have an accident? I would recommend contacting your insurance company and clarifying if in fact you are covered in this situation.

Last edited by whitecapsfan; 04-09-2013 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: