Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:05 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times

Advertisements

And the bill to increase the speed limit to 85 in rural areas was killed in committee.. I'm guessing too much lost revenue..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:10 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
I would replace the speed limits laws with an enhanced reckless driving law. If the road is flat straight and empty, go as fast as you want. But things like passing at excessive speed (lest say more than 20 mph over the car being passed), tailgating, dangerous lane changes, blocking the passing lane, etc, would have big fines.

The only reason speed limits are so popular, is that they're easy to enforce. Give a cop a radar gun, or a calibrated speedo, and the can write tickets all day, generating revenue, and getting to search cars for drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I would agree that some of the roads really don't need speed limits (road from LV to Laughlin, for instance). But if they took the speed limits away, you'd get every kid on a crotch rocket thinking that just because the bike CAN go 180, they have the skills to RIDE 180. Then there would be roadkill of the rather large size strewn about. Remember when Montana went with the "Reasonable and Prudent" speed limit (a.k.a. no speed limit) back in the 90s and exotic car clubs would travel there simply to drive 200mph?

Old 07-31-2013, 11:07 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
But if they took the speed limits away, you'd get every kid on a crotch rocket thinking that just because the bike CAN go 180, they have the skills to RIDE 180. Then there would be roadkill of the rather large size strewn about.
Unfortunately, they won't simply kill themselves. They'll take others out with them. Otherwise, I would be in favor of letting Darwin weed out the more stupid members of American society. Germany has "no speed limit whatsoever" sections of the autobahn, and nowhere near the kind of traffic problems that we have. Why? Not nearly as many dum-dums. They also don't treat driving like a personal right. They treat it like the privilege that it is.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:54 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
I live to drive fast, but I'm also not going to take huge risks speeding if I am going to endanger myself or others. Funny thing is most people who drive fast do not even check their tires. Very few people check their tires for wear or pressure. One blowout going 120mph and your going to have a hard time controlling the car and most of the time it will be a bad outcome.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:57 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,548 times
NHP are also on the lookout at the 215 Bruce Woodbury Beltway. Cars drive fast on the 215, the beltway was configured on the outside of the valley which mean it is a longer route, not necessarily a longer commute since people are driving like they are at the LV Speedway.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:58 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,775 times
Soon they'll have aerial drones that will spot dangerous drivers and shoot them with hellfire missles. I mean send them tickets in the mail. Won't be long before we get the violators under control. Just in time for the cars to start driving themselves once skynet go live.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:19 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times
The speed limits are way, way too low.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:08 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Unfortunately, they won't simply kill themselves. They'll take others out with them. Otherwise, I would be in favor of letting Darwin weed out the more stupid members of American society. Germany has "no speed limit whatsoever" sections of the autobahn, and nowhere near the kind of traffic problems that we have. Why? Not nearly as many dum-dums. They also don't treat driving like a personal right. They treat it like the privilege that it is.
This is one of the main reasons why I miss the Autobahn(Germany) and Autostrada(Italy). Over there, they respect the left lane and any vehicle driving faster than them. The power of flashing your headlights.

Over here, everyone wants to drive in the far left lane. Back in Italy, we would receive tickets for driving the inappropriate speed for the lane we were in, whether it was too fast or too slow. That's when driving really started to make sense to me.

I wish there was a way to adopt that over here.

Sent from watch

Old 07-31-2013, 07:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
The speed limits are way, way too low.
I think speed limits should be determined by the condition of vehicle. Some of these vehicles on the road today shouldn't be going over 60mph. With brand new tires.

Sent from watch

Old 07-31-2013, 07:55 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I think speed limits should be determined by the condition of vehicle. Some of these vehicles on the road today shouldn't be going over 60mph. With brand new tires.

Sent from watch
I have no problem with that. I've been in Oregon for a couple weeks and on the way up it took 6.5 hours from Vegas to Reno. That included lunch at the Alien Cathouse (excellent burger for $6.00 btw), a gas stop, picking up a hitch hiking drifter, and dropping of said drifter in Fallon.

I find it impossible with that long a stretch of road to do the speed limit. A relaxing cruise speed is ~105-110.

That said I wouldn't feel comfortable or capable of doing that in a VW bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas