Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 08:39 PM

555 posts, read 776,449 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have a white collar M-F 8-5 job. I am thankful to have a job but need some supplemental income. Anybody have experience with companies here in town that would make a good part-time employer for someone with my type of schedule?

thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 08:50 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,488,482 times
We don't really have enough info about you to make decent recommendations.

Fast food
Bartender
Convenience store
Retail
Stripper
Security guard
Club promoter

Old 09-20-2013, 11:02 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,886,609 times
What skills do you have? What is your day job?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:03 PM

625 posts, read 798,081 times
I worked a second job at Dominos delivering pizza. Other people worked there as well that had a day job. Worked with a couple of mailmen. Til my car crapped out from all the hurting i put on it delivering pizza. Good tips though. Especially right now up until super bowl.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 AM

555 posts, read 776,449 times
I work as a compliance auditor during the day, but as a single parent I need supplemental income. I have some retail experience and customer service experience.

I appreciate the PMs I received. Thank you all.

RE: Dominos, didn't think about that. I will consider it. thanks!

Old 09-23-2013, 11:19 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,009,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML157 View Post
I work as a compliance auditor during the day, but as a single parent I need supplemental income. I have some retail experience and customer service experience.

I appreciate the PMs I received. Thank you all.

RE: Dominos, didn't think about that. I will consider it. thanks!
How have you paired down your monthly expenses? Cutting expenses is better than taking on another job. As a single parent, your child doesn't see you enough as it is. (I'm not trying to tug on your strings, but that's how it is.) What is your monthly budget, and where does the money go?

If you're like most Americans, you spend way too much on food. How many meals do you make at home, from scratch? (This is where most people will say, "I don't have time for THAT!" But they have time to take on a second job. ) List your discretionary monthly bills -- smartphone, cable TV, alarm system, Netflix, gym membership, etc. Do you pay your credit cards off every month? What kind of debt are you carrying? What percentage of your paycheck goes into savings? Do you invest?

Old 09-23-2013, 11:52 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,592,198 times
And if you smoke, cut that out of your budget completely.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:17 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,380,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
How have you paired down your monthly expenses? Cutting expenses is better than taking on another job. As a single parent, your child doesn't see you enough as it is. (I'm not trying to tug on your strings, but that's how it is.) What is your monthly budget, and where does the money go?

If you're like most Americans, you spend way too much on food. How many meals do you make at home, from scratch? (This is where most people will say, "I don't have time for THAT!" But they have time to take on a second job. ) List your discretionary monthly bills -- smartphone, cable TV, alarm system, Netflix, gym membership, etc. Do you pay your credit cards off every month? What kind of debt are you carrying? What percentage of your paycheck goes into savings? Do you invest?
Plus 1, Scoop.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:59 AM

654 posts, read 1,324,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

+1.

My income's not as high as it's been in the past but I live better than I used to because I've planned well to live below my means & keep my expenses extremely low. My life is fairly simple, not extravagant - yet when I want to do or buy something I can because of that.

One of my sisters is a single mom & constantly complaining about needing more work/2nd job/etc. She's extremely intelligent (high IQ) but lacks the common sense gene. If she were more sensible about expenses, she wouldn't need the 2nd job. An example of one simple place for her to save money:

I just bought an extra cell phone (TracFone), mostly for the convenience of calling friends/relatives in Canada & the UK (my cell phone plan is great except for International). I found a pseudo-smart phone (LG 840G) including 1400 minutes (1 yr) & triple minutes for life for $65 shipped. Basically it replaces my calling card & becomes an emergency spare - told my sister about it for her daughter. I figure a little over $5/mo & used judiciously helps her daughter keep in touch with her & friends, keeping bills low. Her response? She can get new phones for both of them for 'only' $100 each through her T-Mobile guy with $140/mo bill??? It's probably $160 w/taxes. (My cell phone bill is under $30/mo including taxes & I have a smart phone. I have a grandfathered plan so I can't get the latest & greatest phone. I'm OK with that. I use my phone a ton & can do the internet stuff I want along with google maps, etc) It's her choice but if money's that tight she could cut $100/mo off that bill with just a little restraint.

She often takes the easy/expensive way out with food as well, fast food too often as well as convenience & packaged foods. Her daughter always wants more time with her & is more than willing to learn & cook. Why not turn cooking dinner into a joint effort (my teenage niece would happily do most of the work if it means time with mom) & save $$ in the process, reducing or eliminating the need for a 2nd job? That's at least $200-300/mo right there.

Then there's the debt load ... she's always behind the 8-ball, paying high interest on credit card debt & the like. I don't know all the details but I guarantee she's paying $1-200 MINIMUM in interest each month. I've offered to help her plan this out to manage things better, but she wants to do it her way ...

Bottom line in her case is those 3 things alone could save her $400-$600/mo (perhaps more) & she's not making that much at a 2nd job (let's say $100/wk). She's also paying taxes on extra income. While every case is unique & has its own challenges, I'm sure there are a lot of people that could do similar things with some careful planning & reduce or eliminate the need for a 2nd job. Anyone can find a way to reduce expenses with careful planning; IMHO it's easier to do that than rely on (potentially) increased income through a 2nd job or the like.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:07 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,308,771 times
The OP asked for advice on a part time job, not to be lectured on how they spend their money.

If you have retail experience, that is where I would start. Stores should be hiring now for at least seasonal help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas