Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:42 PM

526 posts, read 833,991 times

Advertisements

you may notice increased military aircraft activity as the Air Force conducts Red Flag 14-1 from Jan. 27 through Feb. 14.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 07:29 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,795,293 times
I'm guessing this takes place over the test and training range, not something that is watchable. I'd love to have a vantage point from which to watch!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:45 AM

391 posts, read 1,031,201 times
Yep, except for the takeoffs and landings. Desert and Reveille Military Operations Area (MOA) to the north for Red Flag. Restricted areas if separation from bombs, bullets, and aliens can be maintained.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:26 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,012,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I'm guessing this takes place over the test and training range, not something that is watchable. I'd love to have a vantage point from which to watch!
Google "Hancock Summit, Nevada."

Old 01-07-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Google "Hancock Summit, Nevada."
Road trip!

Old 01-08-2014, 01:42 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,387,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
If they bring back Aviation Nation this year try to go.

Nellis cancels Aviation Nation 2013

Old 01-08-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
If they bring back Aviation Nation this year try to go.

Nellis cancels Aviation Nation 2013
Thank you, I absolutely will be there if it happens. My wife doesn't understand my fascination with the machines.. I think it's a guy thing? dunno. But for me it's nostalgic. I used to sit on the roof of my Navy barracks in the Caribbean with a cold beer (or 20) and watch the fighter squadrons train over the ocean.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:18 AM

You do know that Top Gun is at Fallon, NV, north of here?

My wife worked for a government contractor that played Russians in the war games. She got us an invitation to watch the practice of the Air Force bombing and strafing presentation that they put on for the big wigs. I think they do it the day before the public is invited in. They did it up at Creech AFB at Indian Springs. They ran it through once and everyone got up to leave, and they said nobody can leave yet, we have to do it again. No one was upset by that. It was thrilling to say the least. I'd say we were no further than 200 yards from tanks and trucks being strafed and bombed. My favorites were the Warthogs - the A-10's with their Gatling guns. When they fired those guns the planes seemed to freeze in mid-air from the back pressure.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:29 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,141,378 times
There's been a lot of discussion about continuing Red Flag. The origin was to teach our pilots the performance and armament of USSR and Warsaw Pact aircraft. There are lots of the aircraft parked all over NAFB - none with the guts left in. Our guys used F-5s but flew exactly how the Warsaw Pact pilots did.

Now that we no longer have a Cold War where our main enemy would've been Russian aircraft, the question is: why continue?

I haven't heard or talked to those involved but have a strong gut feeling that they've turned their concentration over to Chinese aircraft and pilots. As of yet, haven't seen a single Chinese plane anywhere near here.

The neat thing about the exercise is always watching the various aircraft taking off and landing. B-1s are common and we occasionally get to see B-2s - awesome! The F-35s are also flying.

But, the absolute best viewing is when the Thunderbirds are up and practicing. This should be some time towards the end of January or in February. Go to U.S.A.F. Thunderbirds | America's Ambassadors in Blue for the show schedule but it doesn't include the training sessions at NAFB or Creech.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:21 PM

They may keep Chinese jets under wraps at Creech, or Andrews, or at Area 51, or maybe not even in Nevada, but you can bet your boots they have them somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas